Sponsored by:

ECU Tuning

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 02:17 PM
996CABOVA
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ECU Tuning

Hey guys. Anyone ever heard of In Motion Tuning heres the website www.inmotiontuning.com. Its a ECU upgrade for $300. Thats pretty cheap. I want to chip my car and looking at all alternatives. Thanks guys
Old 05-24-2009, 01:49 AM
mmcdmd
6th Gear

Default tuning

Yes, I am curious to see if anyone has tried this inmotiontuning.com or speedtuningusa.com for flashing the ECU. Please comment on their services.
Old 05-24-2009, 09:13 AM
JDSStudios
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I would really really really like to know what exactly (parameters) is changed
in a ECU program. This must be one of the mods that I know least about.

I know they change parameters in air flow, gas intake, and throttle response,...
but what numbers are changed to what new values?

With so much computing, why are we paying so much money, when a proper
software app would help any of us- safely, of course.

I think it is only a matter of time before someone makes a program, that allows us to input
the mods we make (exhaust, headers, etc.), and then we decide how much performance,
or how much economy- again, safely.
Old 05-24-2009, 12:57 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts
Default Engine an air pump. To make more HP must pump more air. To ...

Originally Posted by JDSStudios
I would really really really like to know what exactly (parameters) is changed
in a ECU program. This must be one of the mods that I know least about.

I know they change parameters in air flow, gas intake, and throttle response,...
but what numbers are changed to what new values?

With so much computing, why are we paying so much money, when a proper
software app would help any of us- safely, of course.

I think it is only a matter of time before someone makes a program, that allows us to input
the mods we make (exhaust, headers, etc.), and then we decide how much performance,
or how much economy- again, safely.
acommplish this select one or more the list: engine displacement increased, engine red line raised, forced air induction, intake and exhaust systems enlarged, larger intake and exhaust ports wth larger (or more) valves, more valve lift, earlier valve lift, longer duration, higher compression.

Ecu remap does none of these, except maybe raise red line limit.

There is the potential for an Ecu remap to deliver a bit more HP if remap done on chassis dyno and is closely tailored to the engine's characteristics, this specific engine at this point in time. One would hope the improvement would be present under different weather conditions on subsequent days, through all seasons.

If you want an Ecu remap take car to a shop with a good dyno and a good rep and have car/engine dyno'd before the remap.

Have remap done. Then take car back to previous shop for another dyno session.

Post results. If any measureable difference please supply me with place you bought Ecu remap from cause I want one too.

As for allowing the user to change settings on the fly you are asking for a huge amount of computing.

Allowing the user to change the settings relatively easy. Preventing the user from selecting settings -- in various combinations -- that could potentially harm engine requires a huge amount of work.

Since engine reliabilty at risk and if engine failure occurs at least property damage is at risk.

Then there is a small but not zero risk to the driver and any passengers and even other people on the road should a setup cause engine failure that would result in loss of braking and steering power and loss of control of the car with possibly serious consequences.

The liability risk alone would be too huge to contemplate.

Then there is testing: Proper testing would require huge amounts of time, essentially duplicating what Porsche and Bosch and the uncountable engineering and testing manhours already invested in ensuring the existing engine controller fueling/ignition/valve timing/lift controls/maps work as well as they do.

And how would the user know the settings changes accomplish anything? Just a fill up of good gas can perk up a car. Or a drive on a cool dry day. Where are the controls to ensure the settings changes actually produce meaningful gains with acceptable trade off in fuel economy, driveability, emissions. What effect would having such a system in place have on the car's warranty?

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 05-24-2009, 11:11 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 312 Likes on 260 Posts

I am not going to pretend that I know everything about ECU flashes simply because I don't do that for a living. I can, however, contribute a positive ECU flash experience after of changing intake, headers and exhaust.

I had a combination of mods which mildly improved performace of my car over the past several years. However, after a custom flash, it completely transformed my car. I have had a few people drive my car so they can compare to their own.

One of the car owner drives a stock 3.6L. Another owner owns a supercharged 3.4L who drove my car before the flash and after the flash. The last driver has the same car as mine moded with similar hardware without the flash. They all noticed the improvement.

They all commented that after driving their car and my car, under the same weather conditions, back to back that there is a significant butt dyno difference. We all know that adding 10 to 15hp on a 300 hp car typically cannot be felt. I feel the change in my car like everyone else who drove my car did.
Old 05-24-2009, 11:51 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts
Default ECU flash (turn) after mods different. Mods of course change engine's....

Originally Posted by chsu74
I am not going to pretend that I know everything about ECU flashes simply because I don't do that for a living. I can, however, contribute a positive ECU flash experience after of changing intake, headers and exhaust.

I had a combination of mods which mildly improved performace of my car over the past several years. However, after a custom flash, it completely transformed my car. I have had a few people drive my car so they can compare to their own.

One of the car owner drives a stock 3.6L. Another owner owns a supercharged 3.4L who drove my car before the flash and after the flash. The last driver has the same car as mine moded with similar hardware without the flash. They all noticed the improvement.

They all commented that after driving their car and my car, under the same weather conditions, back to back that there is a significant butt dyno difference. We all know that adding 10 to 15hp on a 300 hp car typically cannot be felt. I feel the change in my car like everyone else who drove my car did.
characteristics and needs enough from the stock engine's that a change to the Ecu fuel/ignition maps (and maybe now intake resonance flap and even intake valve timing and intake valve lift maps) can help obtain maximum benefit from the mods.

This Ecu reflash best done on dyno with proper engine instrumentation unless the combination of mods one the Ecu flash company aware of and has already developed a new remapping for.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 05-25-2009, 12:31 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 312 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
characteristics and needs enough from the stock engine's that a change to the Ecu fuel/ignition maps (and maybe now intake resonance flap and even intake valve timing and intake valve lift maps) can help obtain maximum benefit from the mods.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Huh? That doesn't make sense.
Old 05-28-2009, 04:35 PM
maci911
Racer

hi how will one know if the PO installed a performance chip?

Quick Reply: ECU Tuning