996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Are PPIs necessary on CPO'd cars?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 08:53 AM
rmillnj
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are good dealers and there are bad dealers. Some of them stretch the CPO rules and let things through that shouldn't. The real question might be to get a read on the dealership.

My car was a CPO and every problem I ever had on the car in the last two years was covered on the warranty without question. I know the dealership did stretch things in my favor at times.

Probably the best advice (although not relevant in your case) is to try and find a CPO car from a dealership you know and trust and then have all of the work done there.

My opinion is that a CPO car from a reliable dealer probably does not need a PPI. But then can you really trust any dealer?
Old 12-23-2007, 12:35 PM
Bossman
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Always do the PPI, CPO is a warranty, not a full inspection of the car.
Old 12-23-2007, 12:45 PM
rmillnj
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having owned 3 CPO cars, there is very little that is likely to go wrong that would not be covered by the CPO. My understanding is that a CPO car can not have been in any kind of major collision. The CPO process should uncover that and if it got through and you discovered it later, I would think you could make a case for restitution.

The PPI will give you piece of mind, but it should theorectically not be necessary with a properly CPO's car. Its main value in a CPO car might be to give you leverage in negotiating cosmetic issues.
Old 12-23-2007, 01:11 PM
gregorycarl
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
yo greg, i expect more from you - i guess it comes down to your level of tolerance for risk.

unless i have a buddy of mine who works in service at that porsche dealer i am going to purchase from who can say this car is MINT, then maybe i would step away from an indy doing the ppi. even then i'd tell my service bud to do a full leakdown/compression check to make sure cuz that's nto something you can just look at visually and say it checks out. nor can you detect any issues on a test drive unless something is seriously amiss.

but since the above scenario is not true for me and for many others esp since a lot of us rennlist folks would reach far and wide for that right 911, the best protection is to drop that 3 bills to have a reputable indy shop do a full PPI including the engine leakdown/compression tests.

you need representation.

porsche service isn't anything special man. 100 point inspections... dude you rlocal midas shop can do that job.

full PPI always by a reputable third party porsche shop. i had mine done at modderman's in SF. awesome shop thx to a rennlist referral.
Ben,
You know me better everyday. I love living on the edge, I even run with scissors sometimes.
I purchesed my car CPO and fortunately no problems in 16 months...will go in for a full PPI a month or so before it goes off CPO.
Old 12-28-2007, 07:56 PM
smichael
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The CPO doesn’t cover everything and not even everything that is supposed to be inspected and brought up to spec for the certification (brake pad levels, clutch, etc.) You would be exposed on things that should have passed inspection but are not warranteed (as well as structural issues if car was ever hit).

I brought my one-day-old CPO'd car to another dealer for a “post purchase PPI" and they turned up a RMS leak and the probable need for a new clutch "soon". Drove from there right back to the selling dealer with the list who basically said "whoops!”. I left my car and they fixed the seal and did the clutch for almost free (split the cost of the clutch parts, labor free).

If I understand the process correctly the dealer needs to fix at his cost anything found wrong in the certification process, then Porsche will CPO post dealer funded fixes of anything not up to spec. If correct there is certainly an incentive to miss a few things and avoid the service shop from internally billing the sales shop and eating into their used car sale profit margin, particularly if the dealer thinks the issue won’t pop up a until reasonable period later in the CPO period (too many issues and I would assume Porsche would have an issue with the dealer who said all was fine before they took on warrantee responsibility for the car).

So, if too difficult to PPI before purchase, do it the next day, and use the PPI list to get everything “inspected” but not warranteed fixed ASAP before they can say you did it.

Quick Reply: Are PPIs necessary on CPO'd cars?