Sponsored by:

red light on key fob

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 06:47 PM
apterr
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default red light on key fob

My Car is in storage for the winter (good thing, as we had a s$%t-load of snow yesterday). I just noticed my key fob is doing a Rudolf imitation, the little red light is on. As I do not have access to my driver's manual, does anyone know what this means? I hope it is just a low battery warning and not an alarm warning. Thanks for your assistance. Merry Christmas/Seasons' Greetings.
Andy T
Old 12-17-2007, 08:26 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts
Default It is the red LED of death... indicating the key fob electronics are temporarily....

Originally Posted by apterr
My Car is in storage for the winter (good thing, as we had a s$%t-load of snow yesterday). I just noticed my key fob is doing a Rudolf imitation, the little red light is on. As I do not have access to my driver's manual, does anyone know what this means? I hope it is just a low battery warning and not an alarm warning. Thanks for your assistance. Merry Christmas/Seasons' Greetings.
Andy T
hosed.

I say this based on the uncounted and uncountable times my Porsche's key fob LED has come on and stayed on and my solution which has worked every time is to separate the key fob halves and remove the battery for a few minutes -- more than a couple, more like 5 or more minutes.

Upon re-installing the battery and snapping the key fob halves back together (tricky if the little rubber o-ring gets out of place (finally just removed the o-ring)) and the LED should be off and the key buttons work as intended.

If you put the battery back in and the LED is on then you didn't leave the battery out long enough.

(I've sometimes separated the halves and removed the battery and leave teh stuff sitting like that overnight.)

If you leave the battery out for say 15 minutes or longer and upon reassembly the LED comes up then something deeper is wrong.

You might try a new battery, as I did when my other key acted up like this, but even a new battery didn't help. Something else is wrong but I do not know what.

I finally cannabilized the non-functioning key unsoldering one if the trunk lid buttons and moving it to the still functioning key with a worn out lock/unlock button.

Eventually, I'll replace both key fobs/heads and thus get new buttons and working electronics.

(BTW, save the keys. When I visited my Porsche dealer to enquire about new keys I was told both keys are necessary, even though one key, the electronics anyhow, no longer works. I know, but this is what I was told and I'm certainly not going to throw away the original but no longer functioning key.)

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 12-17-2007, 10:30 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Try macster solution. If that dosen't fix the problem, try removing the battery, and then re-install it incorrectly (top down, bottom up) which will reverse the battery poles. Leave it that way for 15 - 30 seconds. Then remove the battery, and then re-install it correctly. That might reset the key fob.
Old 12-17-2007, 11:24 PM
apterr
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the tips on how to get the light turned off....

What does the light indicate? low battery?
Old 05-27-2019, 11:08 AM
Na Gui
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@Gotta 911 thanks this worked for me
Old 05-27-2019, 04:34 PM
az968gpw
Rennlist Member

Received 196 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Na Gui
@Gotta 911 thanks this worked for me
I'm afraid he'll never see your thanks, but nice to see he's still contributing to the community

Quick Reply: red light on key fob