Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okey thanks, mailing them now =)
Old 12-28-2007, 06:14 PM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by TheSpeedDemon
Coloured film, or lenses, have been used on Porsche race cars for many years. Of course limited use of the headlights eliminates any issues. But I am sure that they use them during the 24 hours of LeMans. We have a driver in our PCA-GGR region that has yellow lenses, not film, actual lenses on his 996.
The lenses probably wouldn't be a problem, and I doubt any colored film is used on any race cars that require the use of the headlights.

So the bottom-line is this: we can debate all you want over this subject, but it is the owner of the car to decide whether or not to use film. I say go for it.
I don't feel like debating it, either, but I'll go with Porsche on this one. I'll guarantee you the only LEGAL way to do this would be to use clear film only--IF that's even allowed. The people that decide on headlight lighting regulations are kind of funny; for example, Infiniti just replaced the entire bi-xenon headlamp and LED taillamp systems on my FX for reasons I don't quite understand, though I won't complain.

As for it being up to the owner...well, yes, in the same sense that it's up to the owner to initiate ANY modification to their car.
Old 12-28-2007, 06:24 PM
TheSpeedDemon
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tooloud10
The lenses probably wouldn't be a problem, and I doubt any colored film is used on any race cars that require the use of the headlights.

Yes you are correct on this one. I have only seen film used by people that track there cars on a limited schedule and usually have a couple of sets of lights, one for track and one for street. Why a different colour on track? Maybe to distinguish themselves for other drivers or track officials or photographers, who knows.

I don't feel like debating it, either, but I'll go with Porsche on this one. I'll guarantee you the only LEGAL way to do this would be to use clear film only--IF that's even allowed. The people that decide on headlight lighting regulations are kind of funny; for example, Infiniti just replaced the entire bi-xenon headlamp and LED taillamp systems on my FX for reasons I don't quite understand, though I won't complain.

Clear film is as far as I know legal as it does not change the light emitted from the headlights, only protects the headlights from road debris damage. I doubt anyone would get a fix-it ticket for having clear. But smoked or even blue yes. Yellow might be OK since that is a colour used for fog.

Wow new lights all around eh, very interesting, but maybe this new LED stuff isn't bright enough, who knows.

As for it being up to the owner...well, yes, in the same sense that it's up to the owner to initiate ANY modification to their car.

^^^^ in blue

Last edited by TheSpeedDemon; 12-29-2007 at 02:08 PM.
Old 12-29-2007, 02:07 PM
NOBY
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just want to inform that they do have for -99 also, just got an email replyed.
Old 12-29-2007, 03:32 PM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

Wow new lights all around eh, very interesting, but maybe this new LED stuff isn't bright enough, who knows.
Strangely enough, the accepted theory on the FX forum is that the LEDs were TOO bright while looking straight on, but not bright enough from an angle. I think the headlamps were a similar story. Like I said, I'm not complaining, as I've got 80k miles on the car already and HID headlamps aren't exactly a lifetime product. Keeping in mind that I probably won't have the car at 200k, but very well might at 150k miles, I think they might have just saved me a grand or so. Who knows how long they'd have lasted...
Old 12-29-2007, 08:00 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dude Hairsplittsville, IA with you and your lighting systems.

Quick Reply: Platic film over the headlights?