Chads Mod thread: The info edition

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 11:37 PM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs up UPDATE #6: 12/20/07 - SSK and intake

The adventure continues.

I know I wanted a short-shift kit and a better sound out of the exhaust. After searching and seeing the feedback from you folks on the orange cap mod, I decided to venture out.

Vertex was having a Holiday sale so I took advantage of it and purchased a Schnell SSK and intake kits.

The Short-Shift Kit: Mind you my last car had the B&M kit. So to compare, just about the only thing different is the color of the anodized metal. Great kit for the price. The only thing I had to do was tighten the primary linkage and apply some thread lock. Other than that...nice quality for the price. One thing I did notice right away...the shifter returns to center. Not the left like the B&M. Nice.

Installation was not too bad, but realized immediately that a set of snap-ring pliers are a must. So...I made a run. (I'm a big believer in the right tool for the job...)

Installed Photo:

Intake Kit: Now - there some who say this is bull. But...I have to say...the boot works. Nice little boost in throttle response. Nothing crazy mind you, but a bit more peppy.

SIDE NOTE: As a simple rule, I always disconnect the battery when making upgrades to the engine. As previously stated on this forum, our ECU's are learning computers. They constantly monitor the engines diagnostics, making subtle adjustments to timing, fuel and output based on the conditions. By resetting the system, it starts fresh. Upon starting the car after hooking everything back up, be patient. It might run a tad rough for a sec or two till the ECU gets all the calculations done. Upon doing so, may help it adjust to the new levels that the new components are making.

Installation was really easy, but I took it a step further and cut away a significant section of the baffle located inside the intake. Not only does the car sound better, but seems to have a bit more pep. Result: Happy driver.

Installed photo:

Stay tune...more to come.

C.

Last edited by Chads996; 12-21-2007 at 02:06 PM.
Old 12-20-2007, 11:45 PM
ls911
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is why I caught the fever.
Looks fantastic, great work/pictures
Old 12-21-2007, 12:11 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Chad, nice!

BTW - my B&M shifter automatically returnes to center every time. I wonder if your previous B&M shifter was not adjusted correctly. Maybe the adjustment screw was too tight?
Old 12-21-2007, 12:20 AM
4-large
Racer

Chad
looks great!!!, I have been going back and forth on that intake mod....so u give it a thumb's up?
Christmas Vertex was having a Holiday sale, Still on... can yo PM me the details

Jerry
Old 12-21-2007, 12:21 AM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by gota911
Chad, nice!

BTW - my B&M shifter automatically returnes to center every time. I wonder if your previous B&M shifter was not adjusted correctly. Maybe the adjustment screw was too tight?
Keep going Chad, your on a roll!

how tight the shift link joins the shift cable also determines how the shifter snaps back to the center position. The schnell shifter uses plastic bushings while B&M uses teflon... and the end of a year or two the plastic bushing will start to develop some slop to the shift.... ask me how I know.
Old 12-21-2007, 12:28 AM
rotharek
8th Gear

very insightful, ty
Old 12-21-2007, 01:18 AM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

There seems to be some confusion...Let clear up what I meant. The shifter is a bit more vertical (the angle) when centered than the B&M on my old 996.

All shifters return to center.

redridge: The bushings have adjustments to accomodate for the slop. Like I mentioned, not bad for what the price is.

C.
Old 12-21-2007, 10:32 AM
gregorycarl
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for this post Chad. Enjoy going back and looking at your steps. Great photos, keep it coming...
Old 12-22-2007, 10:08 PM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Default UPDATE #7 - 12/22/07 - GT3 Sway Bars

The bars were installed today. Man...I forgot how much a pain in the *** the front bar is. Ugh...

GT3 Sway Bars from Paragon Products. (best price on the web)

Web Link: http://www.paragon-products.com/category_s/197.htm
Don't forget to buy adjustable drop links for the front bar. (You can use the existing drop links on the rear.)

Reminder to all: Make VERY sure you torque all front bolts to the proper specs. I have been in the presence of a person who guessed. And..as a result, paid the price later.

I have yet to test drive as it started raining this evening. As soon as it dries out, I will post a handling update with photos.

C.
Old 12-23-2007, 02:16 PM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Update to #7 - Sways...

Also installed 7mm front spacers. Big difference on the look. Much better, IMO. The best price for spacers (H&R) including the properly sized lugs was on German Parts and Restoration. www.gprparts.com

Very nice folks. (no affiliation, simply a happy customer).

BARS (Handling update): Now THIS is the 996 that I remember. Much more nimble, and neutral in the corners. The front no longer "thinks" about where to go, it does it IMMEDIATELY. Awesome.

The GT3 sway bar upgrade is by far and away on the best mods you can do for this car. The difference in handling is substantial. Happy, HAPPY, driver.

More to come. Stay tuned.

C.
Old 12-24-2007, 12:42 PM
ls911
Pro

Originally Posted by Chads996
Update to #7 - Sways...

Also installed 7mm front spacers. Big difference on the look. Much better, IMO. The best price for spacers (H&R) including the properly sized lugs was on German Parts and Restoration. www.gprparts.com

Very nice folks. (no affiliation, simply a happy customer).

BARS (Handling update): Now THIS is the 996 that I remember. Much more nimble, and neutral in the corners. The front no longer "thinks" about where to go, it does it IMMEDIATELY. Awesome.

The GT3 sway bar upgrade is by far and away on the best mods you can do for this car. The difference in handling is substantial. Happy, HAPPY, driver.

More to come. Stay tuned.

C.
Interesting result on the handling improvement. Hard to believe it can handle that much better when I thought stock was already ridiculous.
Looks like I'm forced into adding the GT3 sway bars as part of the must have dream list that's growing like a weed. (the good kind..I mean the bad kind..)
How long did the install take you?
This is a very helpful thread for me, thanks again
Old 12-24-2007, 12:50 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

Thanks Chads996. My list is growing too. Thanks for all the informative goodies. Happy Holidays!!
Old 12-27-2007, 11:59 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by Chads996

GT3 Sway Bars from Paragon Products. (best price on the web)

Web Link: http://www.paragon-products.com/category_s/197.htm
Don't forget to buy adjustable drop links for the front bar. (You can use the existing drop links on the rear.)
Hi Chad,

Can you help me out with which bushings to get for the fron and rear? Paragon do have the best price. I was quoted over $100 more from Sunset for the front and Rear GT3 sways. Which size is the correct one for the PSS9 setup with GT3 Sways?

Front:
Sway Bar Bushing - Front
Our Price: $6.70
Fits 996 6 speed 1999-05; Boxster 97-04

Rear:
Sway Bar Bushing - Rear 18.7mm
Our Price: $12.95
18.7mm. Fits 996 C2/4 99-04; Boxster 1997-04
or
Sway Bar Bushing - Rear 19.8mm
19.8mm. Fits 996 C2/4 99-04; Boxster w/M030 1997-99
or
Sway Bar Bushing - Rear 20.9mm
20.9mm. Fits 996 C2/4 99-04

Last edited by chsu74; 12-27-2007 at 12:07 PM. Reason: Bushing question
Old 12-28-2007, 06:17 PM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Default UPDATE #8 - 996 GT3 Euro Seats...

First off, here is a photo of the existing sport seats that came out of the car.

(Sorry the photos are poor. Working on getting a new camera)

These seats weigh in at a little over 40# each. The GT3 Euro shells weigh in at around 28.6# each. That is a fair amount of savings. I ordered the seats via the Suncoast Porsche special that was running. I wanted to save money and find a used set...but, everything I found was sold or went too fast to get in on it.

Next up, I purchased a set of Brey-Krause GT3 Seat lowering brackets from my friends at OG Racing. Good folks and very knowledgeable. Upon installing the brackets...I noticed a HUGE difference in the way the seat sat.

Note the seat on the right. Stock brackets on the left, while BK brackets on the right. The seat sits a bit lower and at a bit more of an angle.

Once installed, I noticed that the driving position was dead-on the money for me. Monsterous legroom and headroom was off the charts. Being 6'6" these seats are the best money I have spent on the car to date. I am very please with the results.

For reference, I used this installation guide from a fellow Rennlister:

http://gallery.rennlist.com/gallery/albuq41

More photos (yes, I know the belt in the photos is twisted. It got fixed later).

Note the seat height in relationship to the console. Very low.

Old 12-28-2007, 06:28 PM
TheSpeedDemon
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looking good Chad

Quick Reply: Chads Mod thread: The info edition