Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

HELP...my car will not idle (first issue with car)

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2007 | 10:00 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Steven,

Have you replaced the air filter recently? I cleaned out my evo airfilter and did not reoil a while ago. It ran rough and had a rough idle. I ended up burning through a MAF and reoiling carefully by letting it sit overnight before installing.

I would also check for any air leaks from MAF sensor to the throttle body for additional air leaks. Are the clamps tight on the hose and is it fastened on securly? I have found our porsches very sensitive in that regard or you may have a bad MAF.

The other problem may be a bad throttle body. That is the other problem I had when it had a rough idle.

Good Luk and let us know what the problem is.
Old 12-09-2007 | 10:06 PM
UFO007
Instructor

Did you check the easy things like oil filler cap on tight and gas cap on tight (even though that should throw a CEL)?
Old 12-09-2007 | 10:20 PM
4-large
Racer

Unfortunately it dies before I can get around to the back of the car to grab the accelerator to keep it running.

Have somebody start and hold the rpm as low as it will run then you are free at the back of the car.
I think that it is probably fuel related If something got loose while you were driving then it would not of idled when you last drove the car... unless it got loose driving into your garage.. that seems unlikely...

I think that if it occurred while you last drove the car, It seems tobe not affected at operating temp. you drove the rest of the day, no problems let it cool down then here you are... so I would try to get the car to a long road and run the car, and see if It clears up

As for gas last, check your bank statement if you are not a cash man

Jerry
Old 12-10-2007 | 02:00 AM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

just bring it to your shop and let them have a look.
Old 12-10-2007 | 07:17 AM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Don't you have a 99 C2? Check the ICV connection and also remove and clean the valve. Unplug the MAF connector and spray the contacts with electronics cleaner and reconnect.
Old 12-10-2007 | 10:54 PM
TheSpeedDemon
Three Wheelin'

Thanks everyone for there input. Unfortunately it will be a few days before I can get to do any of the above as I am working out of town again. That means the car is sitting even longer
Old 12-10-2007 | 11:32 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

i feel your pain bud. i understand your frustration.

as much as i like to dog on these guys for their modification tastes or lackthereof, and their ultra-conservative/republican/right wing habits i have complete faith in them helping u out with diag stuff like this.

i'm sure it's the MAF, but hey, we shall soon find out. be healthy, be happy, the car can get fixed.
Old 12-10-2007 | 11:36 PM
TheSpeedDemon
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
i feel your pain bud. i understand your frustration.

as much as i like to dog on these guys for their modification tastes or lackthereof, and their ultra-conservative/republican/right wing habits i have complete faith in them helping u out with diag stuff like this.

i'm sure it's the MAF, but hey, we shall soon find out. be healthy, be happy, the car can get fixed.
Thanks Ben much appreciated, just sucks I cannot work on it right now and I want to.

One thing for sure is that the engine is stock and will remain stock while I own the car, as I do not want another modified car in my garage, because once I start modifying the engine I get pretty crazy with it and then the car becomes un-reliable or un-streetable to drive.
Old 12-10-2007 | 11:45 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Originally Posted by TheSpeedDemon
Thanks Ben much appreciated, just sucks I cannot work on it right now and I want to.

One thing for sure is that the engine is stock and will remain stock while I own the car, as I do not want another modified car in my garage, because once I start modifying the engine I get pretty crazy with it and then the car becomes un-reliable or un-streetable to drive.
totally dude. i've so far only bought cars that i'm happy with from the factory along the power front. now with regard to the aesthetic, no car looks great from the factory save for maybe your pagani zondas of the world.
Old 12-11-2007 | 09:52 AM
rcg412
Rennlist Member

water in the tank? There is a product called dry-gas or something, sold at most gas stations.. had this problem once before... good luck! Ross
Old 12-12-2007 | 01:31 AM
K996
Racer

Hey thanks for posting this, I was having the same problem and this may have helped me fix it.

You should check the oil filler tube very closely.

I also have a 99 and when I took the airbox off a few months ago I noticed that the oil filler tube was becoming slightly embrittled and had developed a small crack in between one of the accordion pleats. My cold start idle has gotten worse and I hadn't thought much about it in relation to the leak in the filler tube until now.
I just checked the car again and the crack in the tube has enlarged slightly so it makes sense. Will try a quick check in the morning with some saran wrap to see if it temporarily fixes it.

UPDATE 12/12: I wrapped the cracked section with saran wrap and taped it down well. The car was cold started and did not exhibit the misfiring and stalling that it had previously.....plus it now looks ghetto-fabulous!
Guess I'll be picking up a new oil filler tube and figuring out how to install it.

(proudly libertarian in my style/mod choices)

Last edited by K996; 12-12-2007 at 01:58 PM.
Old 12-12-2007 | 09:04 AM
Tippy
Race Car

If the diaphram inside the oil separator burst, idle will be horrible too. Open the oil filler cap and check to see if there is high vacuum thorugh the tube, should be minimal. May be impossible since it doesnt idle, could just hold it just above idle to check.

I also first started to think a vacuum leak, a safer way to check for vacuum leaks is to use a propane torch with a "pinpoint" hose on it and just slowly wave it all around the intake area and hoses until the RPM raises. This would be the source of the leak.

'99 could have the magic diagnosis though, the ICV. If it is dead it will not let air into the engine for idle and the motor is simply suffocating (sp?). GL Steven
Old 12-12-2007 | 03:34 PM
TheSpeedDemon
Three Wheelin'

K996 and Tippy...great information and I will first look at the Oil Filler Tube as I noticed one-time when I topped-off the oil, that I found a small puddle under it, so I thought I had spilled some, but maybe not, maybe the tube is cracked and that is the reason for my rough idle, let's hops so.

I am still away from the house, but will be home tomorrow and will look at it then and update everyone.

Thanks again.

Steven
Old 12-13-2007 | 07:12 PM
TheSpeedDemon
Three Wheelin'

Update:

The car is idling fine now.

All I did was remove the oil cap, wipe the tube around where the cap went, removed the o-ring seal from within cap, and cleaned both thoroughly (seal and cap). Put the cap back on making sure it was tight, and started it, car idle's perfectly.

So maybe the only problem with the car was the oil cap in that it was not sealing correctly. I will continue to monitor this though.

Thanks again for everyone's input and possible issues with my car. Glad to know that no money was spent on repairing it
Old 12-13-2007 | 07:45 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by TheSpeedDemon
Update:

The car is idling fine now.

All I did was remove the oil cap, wipe the tube around where the cap went, removed the o-ring seal from within cap, and cleaned both thoroughly (seal and cap). Put the cap back on making sure it was tight, and started it, car idle's perfectly.

So maybe the only problem with the car was the oil cap in that it was not sealing correctly. I will continue to monitor this though.

Thanks again for everyone's input and possible issues with my car. Glad to know that no money was spent on repairing it
Man, this was almost as bad as Phil's "little green circle thingy" thread. How anti-climactic!

Steven, just kidding. Glad it was something simple and free!

Quick Reply: HELP...my car will not idle (first issue with car)