Sponsored by:

yet another coolant smell question

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 02:20 PM
jkarp
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default yet another coolant smell question

lately i've started smelling coolant after driving my car. i don't see any leaks or puddles, but from everything i've read, you may not be able to see a leaking tank. the cap on my reservoir is the updated one (ends in 01). I don't seem to be losing any coolant from checking the levels. the car is an '02 C4S.

I am supposed to drive from San Fran to Tahoe this weekend which is about 200 miles each way. am i asking for trouble? my dealer can't fit my in this week, so getting the tank replaced is not really an option.

if i just keep an eye on the levels should i be ok or is driving 400+ miles a bad idea?

thanks... josh
Old 12-03-2007, 02:37 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts
Default Between SF and Tahoe is not a stretch of road on which to break down...

Originally Posted by jkarp
lately i've started smelling coolant after driving my car. i don't see any leaks or puddles, but from everything i've read, you may not be able to see a leaking tank. the cap on my reservoir is the updated one (ends in 01). I don't seem to be losing any coolant from checking the levels. the car is an '02 C4S.

I am supposed to drive from San Fran to Tahoe this weekend which is about 200 miles each way. am i asking for trouble? my dealer can't fit my in this week, so getting the tank replaced is not really an option.

if i just keep an eye on the levels should i be ok or is driving 400+ miles a bad idea?

thanks... josh

Especially if weather's going to be bad, and I believe rain/snow is forecast for later this week.

The problem with a coolant leak is the coolant may not remain under enough pressure to keep the coolant from flashing to steam over the hottest spots in the head. If this occurs, these spots will see excessve heat that can damage the head or even the block. (The steam interferes with the flow of coolant over these hot spots and thus they become even hotter.)

IOWs, a car leaves town with a small coolant leak and comes back to town on a flat bed with a blown head gasket, or worse.

If you can't get the leak diagnosed and fixed before you go, I'd consider taking another car, even if I had to rent one.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 12-03-2007, 02:45 PM
996superfly
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If this is your only transportation and your leakest seem minimal and no large coolant puddle you can drive below 80 MPH. Also, the cold weather where you are going should help too. Bring 50/50 mix coolant with the trip.

The reason you are not seeing any leaks is because the resevoir tank has a small crack for now and the coolant is settled around the metal frame below the tank. Eventually, you will see large amount coolant running down the left side exhaust.
Old 12-03-2007, 06:22 PM
drive4fun
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with superfly. This past summer I went from smelling coolant to seeing a small puddle on the left side metal frame (with a flashlight). I couldn't see a crack but finally began to see antifreeze on the garage floor. I replaced the coolant resevoir myself (2 hour job) and no problems since. Time from first smelling the coolant to puddles on the floor was about 2 months of summertime driving.
Old 12-04-2007, 12:42 AM
speedread
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Worst case: my 2000 996 3.4L engine destroyed completely by a coolant leak. Not under warranty. I now have a 3.8L 997S engine which cost a little more than a car rental!!! No explanation for how it happened. The motor was trashed.

Quick Reply: yet another coolant smell question