996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

New transmission at 92,000 miles

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2007 | 11:47 AM
rmillnj
Racer

Default New transmission at 92,000 miles

Well, my string of good luck with my 1999 C2 kind of ran out. Took it in for the 90,000 service knowing that my CPO warranty runs out the beginning of February. The car has been running great with no problems other than a check englne light for the air sensor.

Last spring I had taken the car in due a whining sound coming out of the back. Back then they diagnosed it as bearings on the tensioners for the serpentine belt. The sound never really went away though, so I brought it up again for this service knowing this was the last chance to get things fixed under the warranty. The sound was only evident under certain conditions - 5th or 6th gear at 50-70 miles an hour when you give it gas. I imagine many people would never even notice it. I was never sure if it was tires. The fact that it only occured if I gave it a bit of gas was the only thing convincing me it was not tires.

But to the credit of the service manager they didn't hassle me about it and agreed it was there and started looking for the source. They finally figured out that the sound was the differential and opened up the transmission and sure enough all was not right in there. The differential was shot, although it seemed to have no effect on the car other than making a bit of noise.

I can't say enough good things though about the service manager. He immediately got on the phone with Porsche and worked with them to get me a whole new transmission. Originally they only wanted him to get the parts and rebuild it.

He told me that in August Porsche changed policy on this sort of thing. Previously they would normally just authorize the new transmission, but now they force the dealership to do a cost comparison between rebuilding and complete replacement. No real problem with that except it takes them a lot of time to get back with a decision. And as the service manager told me, the difference in price was only a few hundred dollars. Meanwhile he has me driving around in a loaner that Porsche does not reimburse them for, so the dealership wants to get me back on the road as soon as possible.

In the end after 3 days they finally authorized the new transmission but only after my service manager really pushed it for me. Another change though has occurred. So I was thinking great - new transmission that will be guaranteed for another 2 years. But no - the current Porsche policy is that since the transmission is being replaced under the existing warranty at no cost to me, it is only covered through the existing warranty. Which means comes February, I have no warranty on it. It sounds like they are really starting to pinch pennies at Porsche of North America.

So I am now sitting here awaiting a transmission from Germany to come in. The dealership was nice though and I am driving around in a new Audi A6 loaner. What has given me pause though is realizing how close I came to having a bad transmission I would have had to pay for. It is only because the service manager really tried to find out what was causing what to many would have been a minor whining sound. I know a lot of dealerships would have said it was the tires or something inconsequential and hope I don't come back.

Another benefit out of all of this is that I am still on the original clutch at 92,000 miles. As long as I pay for the parts, they will pick up the labor to install a new clutch.

All in all this is turning out to be not such a bad experience. I could have probably driven the car for another 50,000 miles or more with no problem other than the whining sound under certain conditions. Still you would think the transmission could last a bit longer than 92,000 miles.

Last edited by rmillnj; 11-30-2007 at 05:41 PM.
Old 11-30-2007 | 11:55 AM
SMR996
Burning Brakes

Well you did better than me.... my transmission went at 43,000........

Consider yourself lucky in two ways..... One, you found a great service manager and dealership that took the time to find the problem before your CPO ran out and two, you have a brand new transmission.....

Cheers
Old 11-30-2007 | 12:05 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

good on you mate. That dealer is a keeper, so is your 996!
Old 11-30-2007 | 12:56 PM
UCrazyKid
Pro

When you say differential do you man LSD? Was your transmission regularly serviced per the recommendations for a car with a limited slip differential?
Old 11-30-2007 | 01:32 PM
rmillnj
Racer

I think in 1999 they called it Traction Control and yes I have it. Luckily the dealership has the complete history of my car. The original owner bought it there and traded it in there. I bought from them and all of the normal services were done there by both the original owner and me. So there is no question about whether the proper service was done or not. The service manager told me that that counts for a lot when you have any kind of a warranty question. He also told me that it makes it much easier to get Porsche to help cover things that go wrong right after the warranty period expires.
Old 11-30-2007 | 02:08 PM
UCrazyKid
Pro

Originally Posted by rmillnj
I think in 1999 they called it Traction Control and yes I have it. Luckily the dealership has the complete history of my car. The original owner bought it there and traded it in there. I bought from them and all of the normal services were done there by both the original owner and me. So there is no question about whether the proper service was done or not. The service manager told me that that counts for a lot when you have any kind of a warranty question. He also told me that it makes it much easier to get Porsche to help cover things that go wrong right after the warranty period expires.
Traction control is not the same as a limited slip differential. Traction control is an electronic feature that monitors wheel slip and applies the brakes and cuts engine power to control slip. It is not part of the transmission (except maybe a sensor). This Traction Control was later incorporated into PSM. A limited slip differential is a mechanical device (clutch pack) that resides inside the transmission that distributes engine power to the wheel with the most traction when slippage occurs. In the 996 (no including GT2, GT3 or Turbo cars) a Limited Slip Differential (LSD) was offered as an option in only 1999, and was standard on the 2004 40th anniversary edition.

I have heard of many second owners that do not know that their car has a LSD and therefore to do not service the transmission as such. The clutch pack of the LSD requires that the differential fluid be replaced more often and that special fluid with friction modifiers be used. They also often require the clutch pack to be rebuilt occasionally as the friction materials wear out.

A bad LSD will not cause the car to stop running. It simply will no longer function as it should. However it can cause a whining noise from the transmission.

I think there have also been occasions when dealers will not take notice that a car has a LSD and not use the specialized differential fluid.

Check your cars options list (sticker under front hood of car) and see if it has a LSD listed. The option code is: 220 It would be a shame for the dealer to replace your transmission with a NON LSD transmission as it would lower the value of your car. Many buyers in the market for a track car seek out 1999's that have the LSD as an option as it is quite expensive to add it afterwards, essentially you need to rebuild or replace the transmission.

Have your dealer look into it.

Oh and congrats on getting Porsche to cover it.
Old 11-30-2007 | 02:15 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Originally Posted by UCrazyKid
Traction control is not the same as a limited slip differential. Traction control is an electronic feature that monitors wheel slip and applies the brakes and cuts engine power to control slip. It is not part of the transmission (except maybe a sensor). This Traction Control was later incorporated into PSM. A limited slip differential is a mechanical device (clutch pack) that resides inside the transmission that distributes engine power to the wheel with the most traction when slippage occurs. In the 996 (no including GT2, GT3 or Turbo cars) a Limited Slip Differential (LSD) was offered as an option in only 1999, and was standard on the 2004 40th anniversary edition.

I have heard of many second owners that do not know that their car has a LSD and therefore to do not service the transmission as such. The clutch pack of the LSD requires that the differential fluid be replaced more often and that special fluid with friction modifiers be used. They also often require the clutch pack to be rebuilt occasionally as the friction materials wear out.

A bad LSD will not cause the car to stop running. It simply will no longer function as it should. However it can cause a whining noise from the transmission.

I think there have also been occasions when dealers will not take notice that a car has a LSD and not use the specialized differential fluid.

Check your cars options list (sticker under front hood of car) and see if it has a LSD listed. The option code is: 220 It would be a shame for the dealer to replace your transmission with a NON LSD transmission as it would lower the value of your car. Many buyers in the market for a track car seek out 1999's that have the LSD as an option as it is quite expensive to add it afterwards, essentially you need to rebuild or replace the transmission.

this is where your $15 membership fee is justified
Old 11-30-2007 | 02:19 PM
Pugnacious P
Burning Brakes

Wow, you are damned lucky to get a cpo on a 99!!! in my part of the world they have year restrictions and mileage restrictions as what they will cpo. Congrats. A win for the consumers.. lol
Old 11-30-2007 | 04:12 PM
rmillnj
Racer

Originally Posted by UCrazyKid

I just spoke with the service manager and I do have the limited slip differential. They believe that was the cause of the problem. It will be replaced with the same transmission. I am not going to ask them if they followed all of the proper service recommendations for that kind of transmission. Lets just assume they knew what they were doing and did all of the services properly.

In 1999 the only cars with limited slip were the ones with the traction control button on the dash, or at least that is what I think. Someone can correct me if I am wrong.

And yes, I know I am lucky in many ways on this. I think if I had gone to another dealership, the outcome might have been considerably different.

My car only had 42,000 miles on it when I bought it so it was elgible at that point for CPO warranty. Now I am debating on whether to trade it out in February and find another CPO car, probably a 2002 or 2003 this time.
Old 11-30-2007 | 04:25 PM
pl
Drifting

so it's possible the dealer ignored/forgot to service the LSD........
anyway, new tranny can't hurt...
Old 11-30-2007 | 04:34 PM
rmillnj
Racer

Originally Posted by pl
so it's possible the dealer ignored/forgot to service the LSD........
anyway, new tranny can't hurt...
Oh, and I forgot to add that while diagnosing the problem they thought it was the altenator at first and replaced it with a new one. So I also made out on that deal, because they are covering that under the warranty also.
Old 11-30-2007 | 04:37 PM
pl
Drifting

lol
u really got your CPO worth!
anyway, i always admire when service tech be honest/trying to help. not just want to swipe your credit card and keep u back to the street.
Old 11-30-2007 | 06:12 PM
UCrazyKid
Pro

Originally Posted by rmillnj
I just spoke with the service manager and I do have the limited slip differential. They believe that was the cause of the problem. It will be replaced with the same transmission. I am not going to ask them if they followed all of the proper service recommendations for that kind of transmission. Lets just assume they knew what they were doing and did all of the services properly.
Well whether or not they serviced the previous one as a LSD or not, after spending $7K on a new transmission I bet Porsche would service this one correctly!

I'm glad they are taking care of you. Even with a new transmission I would still be leary of owning a 996 out of warranty. At least you have some good selling points now for your car. New tranny and new alt!
Old 12-01-2007 | 04:31 AM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

been driving a 99 since 2 years no warranty because the company was liquidated by the state of florida....if something happens...tough ****! fix it and keep on driving..the worst that can happen is an engine replacement...and if you can't afford it ...don't buy it...driving a car is easy maintaining it is the hard part!!

and NO I don't want to spend that kind of money and NO I am not rich...just realistic
Old 12-01-2007 | 07:13 AM
rdstemler
Burning Brakes

Who is your dealer??

Quick Reply: New transmission at 92,000 miles