996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

New buyer

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 01:46 PM
UCrazyKid
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2002 C2 Coupe with 36K miles is on it's 4th RMS. That said I still have no problem with the car. As mentioned before, it is not a major leak and it does not have a negative effect other than leaving some spots on the driveway. I have had mine fixed because I have a warranty. For this and a million other reasons it is highly recommended that you purchase a CPO warrantied car or an aftermarket warranty for any Porsche that you choose that is out of warranty. Repair work on this car is expensive, it's good to have yourself covered if you are not willing to keep a cash fund for repairs on your own. The repair runs about $900-1100. It is a simple procedure that requires disassembly equivalent to replacing a clutch disk and flywheel. They do not have to "crack open" the engine or remove anything that was designed not to be taken apart routinely. The job takes about 2 days in the shop and in my case I was given a loaner car (cayman, nice) to drive.

Almost all Porsches thoughout the years have had some sort of leak issue, you will notice a lot of 911 ads that say "no leaks". Though not as bad, I have always like the saying about Triumph motorcycles, "If it's not leaking oil, it's probably out of oil."

The 911 in any from is not a car you buy because of perfect reliability. You buy it because you are in love with the looks, the performance, and the heritage. Otherwise buy a honda or toyota.
Old 11-20-2007, 02:12 PM
aben8057
Drifting

Brew,

Welcome to Rennlist. Some advice I can offer is be patient. Take your time and find the correct one for you based upon the needs. It took me almost 2 years of researching to find the one that I wanted.

When you do find the one you think is it, get a PPI (Prepurchase Inspection). The first one I thought was the one came up with many issues, so I passed.

Use the search function and dont be afraid to ask questions.
Old 11-20-2007, 03:11 PM
Brew
Intermediate

Meet me in the chat 2:12 eastern pacific time
Old 11-20-2007, 04:32 PM
pat056
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hope you got your clutch issue answered. A clutch can go anywhere fromn 20k miles to 100+k miles depending on your driving style and conditions.
For me? I'm in a rural area and drive it very little in city traffic. I'v also gotten pretty good at heel/toe driving, so mine will last longer than someone in LA or NYC that peels off at green lights and downshifts from 5th to 2nd.
Old 11-20-2007, 04:58 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

If the cost of replacing a seal scares you, don't buy a Porsche. I think that these cars can be very simple and inexpensive to maintain. But there are things that can need doing. And rear tires that can need replacing. And 'must have' mods. And on and on. If the idea of writing a four-figure cheque gives you cold sweats, move on. One way or another, this car will get its money out of you, and in return give you the ride of your life. Pulling your hair out about one specific POTENTIAL repair isn't productive. In descending order, these are the things that have cost the most money on my 996:

1. Depreciation (yes, this is real money, even if you didn't write a cheque).
2. Mods.
3. Snow tires and wheels.
4. Four new summer tires.
5. Inspection and stem-to-stern maintenance catch-up (history had some holes in it, and I'm picky).
6. Clutch/RMS.

See? For what I spent getting the car in the condition I wanted it, the RMS was chump change. Drive and enjoy.
Old 11-20-2007, 05:49 PM
UCrazyKid
Pro

^^ Good point Bruce.

Brew, a set of tires will cost you more than the RMS being replaced. You will also need tires about every 7,000-12,000miles.

Quick Reply: New buyer