Sponsored by:

How to adjust the windows?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 08:26 PM
Rolla
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How to adjust the windows?

I have a 2000 996. There is a lot of wind noise on the drivers side of the car. So I started looking to see what it could be and I have found that the drivers window has a the gap from it to the rear window to be the width of my thumb and the passenger side has a very small gap. Is there any way to adjust this? I know there are ways to adjust the height of the window and the angle but not the front to back. Does anyone out there know how to do this or do I have to take it in to the dealer? Thanks in advance.

Drivers side

<HR>

Passenger Side

Old 11-18-2007, 01:52 AM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You have to pull the door panel off. Pop off the piece for the door pull with finger nails. 3 bolts are behind that piece. Pop out the airbag logo and one bolt behind there. Pop off the side mirror switch panel, pull out at the bottom and lift upwards. Gently pull the panel off the door and disconnect the door pull and light out of the light socket. Pull back sound deadening to see inside door.

3 things adjust the window:

1. The tracks on the bowden system which are attached at the bottom of the door, you have to remove 2 rubber plugs to access the nuts to adjust. Probably not the issue

2. Adjusters, but the 996 shouldnt use them. They are on the window clamps, just check to see if the forward one is stopping early.

3. Clamps themselves that secure the window to the bowden system.

There is a lot of adjustment that can be done, especially the clamps, they do not self locate the window to the bowden system.
Old 11-18-2007, 04:52 AM
AndrewWK
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Regulator replacement procedure

I used this write-up to replace a regulator on my 996. You can follow the directions to access the track mounting points in addition to using the adjustments accessed through the bottom of the door.
Old 11-18-2007, 12:26 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

the rgeulator cables are probaly streched and asjustment will not help
try moving the window up/down with you hand does it move
Old 11-18-2007, 02:37 PM
Rob in WA
Cap'n Insane the Engorged
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 11-18-2007, 09:06 PM
Rolla
Advanced

Thanks guys! I got to spend my entire sunday afternoon messing with this window hopefully soon it will be completely sorted out. Thanks again.
Old 11-19-2007, 06:12 PM
porschedog
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 202 Posts

Damn - NOW you post the How To thread after I used $27 worth of duct tape.
Old 11-22-2007, 12:35 AM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you guys sure about adjusting the window fore and aft? I didn't think so. I know tightness to the door shell can be done but that's not what the issue is.

just don't want to waste time opening up the door panel for no reason. you may want to check the strike plate on the door sill to make sure it's properly adjusted.
Old 11-23-2007, 10:24 PM
treetrimmer
Advanced

That's a huge gap between the f/r windows, and frankly there is no way that the door window can be located further forward in the door channel than the correct position. Further back, yes, but not further forward. The channel stops it.

Has it always been this way? I've just replaced the regulator in my driver's door so I am freshly schooled in those adjustments, I'd be more than happy to look at it and assist you if you happen to be in the Los Angeles area. (Your sig has no location).
Old 10-06-2016, 10:33 AM
snappy924
AutoX

Default Replaced Regulator with OEM Window won't go fully down

Replaced my Window Regulator on my 996 4S and everything works except the window won't fully go down into the door. About 1/4 inch stays up. I was told to go underneath the door to make the necessary adjustments with a E6 Torx socket. Can anyone confirm this? Thanks.
Attached Images  
Old 10-06-2016, 01:13 PM
kromdom
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by snappy924
Replaced my Window Regulator on my 996 4S and everything works except the window won't fully go down into the door. About 1/4 inch stays up. I was told to go underneath the door to make the necessary adjustments with a E6 Torx socket. Can anyone confirm this? Thanks.
FIGURE #6: http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti..._and_Motor.htm
Old 10-06-2016, 11:01 PM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 127 Likes on 112 Posts

Also just an FYI I recently adjusted my window because it was almost touching the rear quarter window.

Got it to where I though it was correct but it was still not looking straight.

Turns out I needed to adjust the rear quarter window instead. Might help someone in the future.
Old 10-06-2016, 11:37 PM
ditto
Racer

Originally Posted by snappy924
The regulator is a shared part with a Boxster. You have it in Boxster mode. The Pelican instructions show how to set it up for 996.
Old 10-07-2016, 03:16 AM
ion_berkley
Instructor

I ran into exactly the same head scratcher last week. Remove the green clip from the location indicated by the red arrow in my pic to switch the regulator from Boxster mode to 911 mode.

Quick Reply: How to adjust the windows?