Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Overweight 996?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2007 | 05:53 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Talk to any importer and find out what has to be changed then comment back. Start looking at regulations from UN ECE and ACEA to see what isn't there and what the are proposing. Also, read some articles written in Europe from Autocar, Motor, EVO and Top Gear to find out what was optional in the European market, yet standard in the US.

Europe still does not even require airbags in cars today. Europe does not have a regulation for safety glass, much more side-impact protection. The only thing Europe has caught up on is emissions. They followed with OBDii 1 year after the US and have more stringent emissions regulations than 49 of the states in the US. Did you know that you could get a 996 in Europe without side airbags (or side door beams)? Start searching at pictures of 99-00' European GT3s and try to find one with side airbags. You will notice the door panels are completely smooth with an absence of the pillows we are used to rubbing our arms against. It is the US-only window restrictions that prevent our GT3 RS from getting the polycarbonate rear windows that are in the European models. Finally, when you start reading the options list for the same cars in Europe, a lot of the equipment that is standard in the US is an option in Europe...like sunroofs that have always been an option on 911s. So why would anyone with even a small amount of cognitive power have the slightest notion that our cars would weigh the same as a Euro?
Old 11-26-2007 | 09:27 PM
treetrimmer
Advanced

Once again, my figures came from my USA owners manual. What does your owners manual say? I don't give 2 schits what glass comes in a Euro GT-3, I'm trying to figure out why my car weighs 200 lbs. more than other '99 C2 6-speeds. Thanks for playing, anyways!

Quick Reply: Overweight 996?