996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Is it hard to install coilovers?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 02:06 PM
NOBY
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it hard to install coilovers?

Hey folks.

My coilovers arrived today and I have never installed coilovers with camber adjustment like this have and also not on a expensive car like a PORSCHE, is there any DIYS tutorials on the net or should I give it to a workshop?

Some specs.

Inner diameter 50mm
40 level damping setting
Length/hight/camber/springs preload adjustment

And a picture of my sleeping beauty.

Old 11-14-2007, 02:11 PM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's not bad, just tedious. If you are mechanically inclined, I say do it. It you are unsure, have a workshop do it. I did the suspension myslef on my last 996. Make VERY sure you have a good spring compressor to eleviate any issues with clearances.

And ALWAYS refer to the the proper sources for torque settings on the nuts and bolts.

Good luck.

C.
Old 11-14-2007, 02:46 PM
NOBY
Pro

Where to find the right torque for each bolt?
Old 11-14-2007, 05:36 PM
NOBY
Pro

Why do I need a spring compressor for the job? hmm... (never needed a compressor to change suspension before)
Old 11-14-2007, 05:47 PM
auto-xr
Racer

The rennlist DIY section has coilover installation procedures (pss9 but it is very similar) that I followed to install my coilovers Also, do a search for my post on my jic install for some notes that may help. It is really not too bad but it takes some time. I brought the car into the shop for the corner balance and alignment afterward. Getting the ride height right on all four corners is very tedious.
Old 11-14-2007, 05:51 PM
auto-xr
Racer

Originally Posted by NOBY
Why do I need a spring compressor for the job? hmm... (never needed a compressor to change suspension before)
It helped with the installation of the rear coilovers. Also, I had the shop torque down the bolts.
Old 11-14-2007, 05:55 PM
UCrazyKid
Pro

since you are not disassembling your old suspension you will not need a spring compressor. If you have done suspension replacements on other cars you should be able to do this one easily, it is not anymore difficult than another car. do some searching you will find directions for suspension installs, just adapt it to your situation. Try searching for PSS9 install or M030 install. Also look here http://www.renntech.org.

One tip, you need to remove the front brake caliper to gain enough clearance to remove the front struts without damaging the brake line. Cover the top of the struts with a shop rag when removing or inserting the struts to the wheel well to avoid chipping/scratching the paint. When removing the stock rear struts, simply whack the very bottom of the strut with a hammer to pop it out of the "retaining cup" and it will drop out of the bottom. You don't need a compressor to get it out.

The only thing I can't help you with is how to set the camber plates before installing. I haven't any experience with those.

good luck,
andy
Old 11-14-2007, 06:22 PM
NOBY
Pro

Thanks guys for the reply, I hope it will go smooth.

Now Im haunting for a roll cage, if anyone has one, just pm me!
Old 11-14-2007, 06:38 PM
RamVA
Racer

+1 - PSS9s require the original strut to be taken apart, so you need a spring compresor. Looks like your don't, so you shouldn't need one, though it might help to get the front unit under the fender. If you need one you can rent one from your local AutoZone/whatever.

I didn't remove the caliper, but it would have helped.

Budget about 3-4 hours for the job, since you're not pulling apart the original unit and you've done a similar job before.

Quick Reply: Is it hard to install coilovers?