Sponsored by:

Carrera Sport Headers 996 by Suncoast Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 08:35 AM
errico
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carrera Sport Headers 996 by Suncoast Porsche

Anyone use this header for a 996 c2 2001? They claim a gain of 10 hp. Has anyone bought this header and is it worth the money ?

I want to combine it with a PSE exhaust, dont car of the no hp gain but it makes a very nice noise.

Please let me know if you have one and how you feel about it ?
Old 11-09-2007, 08:48 AM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Do a search for headers here and on 6speed. There is some good feedback about possible power loss.

C.
Old 11-09-2007, 09:02 AM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

+1 on search.

Good headers = less power down low, more up high. Trackies happy. Cruisers not.

Cheap headers = no love at all.
Old 11-09-2007, 08:42 PM
wlee69
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have the suncoast headers with Tubi mufflers. Though I can't say I know what the headers themselve did to the sound as I replaced both headers and mufflers at the same time.

BruceP is correct, more power up high....not sure you'll notice the loss down low, but I've read the same thing
Old 11-10-2007, 08:31 PM
rleeq
Racer

I bought the Suncoast headers for my car and I can hear the difference and think it worth the money. I started off stock and the added GHL mufflers; a definite plus in the sound department and the butt dyno says HP increased. I then added the K & N CAI and again much better sound and more power IMHO. I was blacked flagged at Road Atlanta because I continuously pegged the sound meter during a Sunday morning run. I need to cat up to get out of the quiet time.
Old 11-12-2007, 04:29 PM
EdiC4S
Intermediate

I have a set for sale $200 plus shipping.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:47 AM
Tonger
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

EdiC4S,

PM sent if the orig poster isn't interested...

Tonger
Old 11-13-2007, 01:25 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

i just installed them last month... You gain Top End Power and the Sound is just Insane... Recomemded

PS: EVO Headers are the best ones, they are the only one Proven to make Gains...
Old 11-16-2007, 02:04 AM
EdiC4S
Intermediate

These are the ebay/suncoast headers I have. Used approximately 1500 miles, possible less. I replaced them with fvd headers when I got my new 3.8l motor.
Attached Images   
Old 11-16-2007, 03:20 AM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The big restriction that loses power with the Suncoast headers/ebay are the tubes at the flanges. If you look at the tubes, they are smaller than the port size. They weld sharp cones to narrow the exhaust flow from the ports to the tubes, which chokes the exhaust. The collectors are also very cheap, just 3 tubes cut and welded together. The interesting thing is people are paying $800 for the same cheap headers that sell for under $200 on Ebay.

If you look at other headers on the market like B&B, Fabspeed and Zerotek; they all use 1-piece oval primary tubes that match the size of the ports and 1-piece true merge collectors. If you are going to see gains from headers, these are the ones that should give some. The only other aftermarket header to be wearly of are the Agency Power. Agency Power takes their turbo header and just welds tubes on the collectors to make them an NA header. You may gain a little up high, but they kill the torque.

Also, header leaks are common with on these cars with aftermarket headers. The issue is the thin single layer factory gaskets doesn't seal well against a larger flanged header. If you are hearing a little putter at idle and it seems fairly loud when you are on it, chances are you head to header gaskets are leaking. The issue is the stock steel gasket is bent to fit the ports with extremely little surface area. If the surfaces aren't 100% clean and perfect, they will not seal properly. You can over torque them all you want, they will still not seal properly. The simple fix is to get a set of the copper gaskets from Fabspeed. They are really think and seal easily (at the factory 19 ft-lb torque). We put these on one car and found with the Fabspeed exhaust that was already on the car, the exhaust sound didn't noticeably change from the headers. At idle it sounded the same and there may have been a slight amount of extra rumble up high.
Old 11-17-2007, 11:35 AM
rleeq
Racer

Originally Posted by Zookie
i just installed them last month... You gain Top End Power and the Sound is just Insane... Recomemded

PS: EVO Headers are the best ones, they are the only one Proven to make Gains...
if you look at the EVO headers and the Suncoast headers they are indistinguishable.
Old 11-17-2007, 11:47 AM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Received 730 Likes on 370 Posts

02 Carrera, thanks for that explanation, but I don't think its correct to equate the suncoast headers to "ebay headers." I believe the suncoast and evo headers are the same, and I also believe the suncoast headers, at least according to several dyno results posted on 6-speed, are just about the only aftermarket headers to provide any real hp gains. If you do a search on six-speed you will see a bunch of discussion on this topic. I could be wrong, but that is my understanding (p.s., I don't yet have headers, but I've been thinking about getting the suncoast headers...so I'd like someone to tell me if I'm wrong). Scott.
Old 11-17-2007, 02:23 PM
Reborn996
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Wait.... I had heard that Suncoast resells Evo parts and that these headers were Evo ones.... Suncoast is just a dealer, I highly doubt they actually make the headers. Heck, even the latest brake kit they announced looks like the Evo Clubsport front brake upgrade.

.... or did someone lie to me?
David

Quick Reply: Carrera Sport Headers 996 by Suncoast Porsche