Clear Bra?????

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 01:18 AM
Fat Sled
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clear Bra?????

Hey Guys,
Can anyone please tell me what's involved in installing a clear bra, the cost, maintenance (waxing etc.), longevity, and in your opinion does it truly protect the vehicle. Can you also recommend an installer in the Los Angeles / Hermosa Beach area and a brand of film?

Thanks….JP
Old 11-06-2007, 09:42 AM
ddixon2327
Advanced

I am interested also...where to purchase and have installed in the Columbus Ohio area. A few years ago I know this product was being installed around the country by groups in areas where you could sign up and have it done.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:52 AM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 33 Posts

Do a search on this forum and you will find all the info you want. I have one on the front of the 996 and like it. They do work but $900 is steep. And you always know it is there no matter how waxed up it is....beats the rock chips though.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:31 AM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Someone should start a clear bra poll.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:31 AM
smackboy1
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Here's the quick 411: there are 2 main brands, 3M Scotchgard and VentureShield. IIRC 3M just purchased VentureShield but I don't know what the effect of that has on the end consumer as of this date.

3M is slightly thicker but the top layer has a very subtle surface texture, a little bit like "orange peel". The surface effect is not obvious unless very close to the car (a few feet) in the right light. The orange peel effect is less noticeable on a car with metallic paint, but it works well with non-metallic paint too. Comes with a 5 year warranty on the film material.

VentureShield is crystal clear. It's slightly thinner. It's available in larger sheets. If you want full hood coverage, you can do it with VentureShield, but not 3M.

A good installer will take several hours and cut the film to fit the car. They will pop off all your lights and trim, and wrap the film inside so there are very few gaps and lines. You can get partial front coverage or go for full coverage on the hood, and fenders too. If you really want you can get the doors covered and anything else too. Make sure you get the mirrors and the bottom lip of the gas opening covered.

No special maintenance needed, clean and wax like the paint. Wax can accumulate in the line where the film ends, but it's easy to clean off.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:37 AM
skiracer
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 130 Posts

I had the full treatment done on my cab, including the headlights and the patch behind the rear wheels where road spray is common, and it didn't cost anywhere near $900 for an onsite professional job. In fact I clear bra'd my P-car and an Audi S8, plus had the windows tinted (including the cab's removable hardtop) on both for $1,100 total. Shop around, find a mobile pro and you won't be disappointed.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:10 PM
gregorycarl
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the 3M product on my silver cab - love it. No chips, and it is invisible unless you are standing within 2 feet of the car. I have it on rocker panels, behind rear wheels, front bumper and about 18 inches up the hood. Car came with it already installed, so no help on cost. Not sure if it is a good idea to put it over your headlights.

Smackboy gave an excellent run down on the products. Treat it just like your factory finish. Wax etc...
Old 11-06-2007, 12:14 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by smackboy1
Here's the quick 411: there are 2 main brands, 3M Scotchgard and VentureShield. IIRC 3M just purchased VentureShield but I don't know what the effect of that has on the end consumer as of this date.

3M is slightly thicker but the top layer has a very subtle surface texture, a little bit like "orange peel". The surface effect is not obvious unless very close to the car (a few feet) in the right light. The orange peel effect is less noticeable on a car with metallic paint, but it works well with non-metallic paint too. Comes with a 5 year warranty on the film material.

VentureShield is crystal clear. It's slightly thinner. It's available in larger sheets. If you want full hood coverage, you can do it with VentureShield, but not 3M.

A good installer will take several hours and cut the film to fit the car. They will pop off all your lights and trim, and wrap the film inside so there are very few gaps and lines. You can get partial front coverage or go for full coverage on the hood, and fenders too. If you really want you can get the doors covered and anything else too. Make sure you get the mirrors and the bottom lip of the gas opening covered.

No special maintenance needed, clean and wax like the paint. Wax can accumulate in the line where the film ends, but it's easy to clean off.
I got ventureshield on my car and had 3M on my previous rides. ventureshield is clearer, but it's not perfectly clear. I would pick VS over 3M simply due to the fact that it's just a little bit less noticeable/thinner.

As for pricing, well, a lot of it is going to come down to cost of living in your area. It costs more to live in Seattle than anywhere in TX. It costs more to live in SF than 99% of the other cities in the US and A. I spent $750 (with a good customer discount) for the full kit including my aerokit front lip.

For me, filming the car is a must if the paint is already in new/great shape. I can't stand rock chips and I don't really care that sometimes you can see the lines. Who cares? And it's more than jus rock chips. If a car or something brushes up against you, the film is durable enough to save you from a paint scuff.
I remember this huge rock bounced up and hit my front bumper on teh M3. i pulled over, looked at it.. paint was fine, but the film ripped up a bit.

so it's not the perfect solution cuz the film isn't impervious to the laws of physics... it all depends on your tolerance level for rock chips and peace of mind.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:33 PM
Fat Sled
Advanced

Hey Guys. Thanks so much for the education....JP
Old 11-06-2007, 02:09 PM
JC3D
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am in the same boat, getting my aero kit installed next week. A friend of mine recommended stickercity in Sherman Oaks. Not too far from Hermosa. They quoted me $590 for the royal treatment and $375 for just the front bumper.
Old 11-06-2007, 02:14 PM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I had this stuff on my 993 put on the PO. Great stuff. I put it on myself on my Z06 and had to take it off because it looked so bad. By all means have it professionally installed. I haven't bit the bullet yet on the 996 because it already has a couple of (small) rock chips, but I probably should. Yes, you'll see the line but it's not that big a deal. A good installation is what makes or breaks this stuff.

Michael
Old 11-06-2007, 04:32 PM
Jon996
Rennlist Member

I actually have both 3M and VS on my 2003 C4S. 3M is really stiff, so several installers were nervous about the bumper. VS looks great on the bumper. One additional benefit of VS--I rubbed a spot too agressively and added a few rub/scratch marks. I found a tech bulletin from VS that showed using a heat gun (CAREFULLY) you can actually get rid of these marks by essentially melting just the surface. Sounds scary, but worked super!

3M does have a little texture--VS is very smooth, but if you are really picky you can see a mark or two on the film that looked like a stretch or flow mark. Still VERY happy with it, however.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:06 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Originally Posted by Jon996

3M does have a little texture--VS is very smooth, but if you are really picky you can see a mark or two on the film that looked like a stretch or flow mark. Still VERY happy with it, however.
think of it as a jimmy for your ride - not perfect, but for those who want to play it safe oh so very necessary
Old 11-07-2007, 10:44 PM
WCE
User

Received 188 Likes on 91 Posts

I'm considering Ventureshield on my full hood to avoid the border line as well as added protection.
Anyone with any experience and pros/cons on going with the full hood coverage?
Old 11-07-2007, 11:51 PM
gr8330
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by riad
Someone should start a clear bra poll.
I know someone with experience

Quick Reply: Clear Bra?????