M3 or C4S?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 11:29 PM
Rob in WA
Cap'n Insane the Engorged
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gota911
I would not recommend doing springs only. The shocks and springs are fitted to each other and if you change just the springs, the shocks will wear out sooner than normal and you could also get increased bump stop occurances. The labor would be about the same if you went with just springs or ROW M030 or X74 or PSS9's.

Yes, the labor he quoted you seems a little high.
+1

Good Advice.

I paid $600 to have an RoW M030 set-up installed.

Great Looking C4S!!

Between yours and Chad's, white is really growing on me.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:03 PM
tlarocque
Three Wheelin'

Received 70 Likes on 34 Posts

Where did you source the ROW M030 set-up and who did the install for you? Thanks!
Old 11-07-2007, 12:37 PM
Rob in WA
Cap'n Insane the Engorged
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tlarocque
Where did you source the ROW M030 set-up and who did the install for you? Thanks!
I got mine from Gert at Carnewal, but this was before the U.S. dollar tanked. I think you'll get a better deal from Sunset or Suncoast.

Local indy did the install, it's a DIY if you have access to a ball joint spreader.

Before and after pics:

Old 11-08-2007, 01:41 AM
bernocco930S
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a couple of notes:\

First, you don't need a ball joint spreader if you disconnect your axle at the spline and fold the upright out (see pix) You must drop the spring under the lower perch to be able to compress the shock to get it under the fender. Put a thick towel between the shock and the fender when you do this. It is easier than you might imagine.

Second, I was kicking around last night and drove a couple of Mercedes looking to replace my older 5 Series BMW. Well just did not feel like spending that much on a car (E series) with so much uninspiring charactoristics. I did however, drive the NEW C350 and that is a little hot rod but still a little tinny feeling for a Mercedes. - now remember that I have an 04 C4S already - but I decided to stop by the BMW dealer on my way home. I saw an 04 330I with the ZHP package - somewhat rare. To make a long story short, I bought the car and it is a real kick.

Please remember that I already have a P car and would not off that for a BMW but to have both is a beautiful thing. Maybe the OP could think about a car like this AND a P car!! Here are the specs on the ZHP - pretty cool.... NOT an M3 but close enough for me because I love having the automatic and 4 doors for my daily driver. (of course my C4S is a six-speed)

ZHP Performance Package

In January 2003, at the Los Angeles International Auto Show, BMW of North America introduced the 330i Performance Package, order code ZHP. This was a trim level upgrade that included engine modifications for an increase of 10 hp (7 kW) and 8 ft·lbf (11 N·m) of torque and a redline increase to 6,800 rpm (from 6,500 in the regular 330i). The ZHP option also provided a 6-speed short-throw manual transmission, a higher final drive ratio and speed limiter setting, a suspension tuned for better handling, and various BMW M exterior trim elements as well as an interior similar to that of the M3.

Specific details on the order package include:
- Sport suspension
- Double Spoke (Styling 135M) cast alloy wheels, 18 x 8.0 front, 18 x 8.5 rear;,225/40R-18 front, 255/35R-18 rear performance tires
- M Aerodynamic package
- Matte stainless steel, 35 mm dual exhaust pipes
- High-gloss shadowline trim
- 8-way power front sport seats with 2-way manual headrests and thigh support; 3-driver memory for exterior mirror and seat positions; automatic tilt-down of passenger’s side-view mirror when vehicle is shifted into reverse gear
- Alcantara/cloth upholstery
- Anthracite interior headliner
- M 3-spoke Alcantara-wrapped multi-function sport steering wheel with fingertip cruise, audio and accessory phone controls
- Aluminum “black cube” interior trim
- Tachometer with 300 rpm-higher redline and red needle
- Short, sport gearshift lever
- 3.07 gears in rear differential
- .5 degrees camber all around
- No 128 mph (206 km/h) governor (155 mph top speed).

The ZHP package was available on mid-2003 330i sedans, all 2004-2005 330i sedans, and mid 2004-2005 330Ci coupes & convertibles. It has become a highly sought-after model due to its unique modifications. Car and Driver magazine track-tested the car, which returned a 0-60 mph time of 5.6 seconds and passed through the 1/4 mile in 14.2 seconds.

Sorry Tim, no pix yet and maybe never since would be very OT.
eric

BTW, Yes I do all of my own work and this is an X-73 package from Gert as well.
Attached Images       
Old 11-08-2007, 02:21 AM
FLY996
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks. Not so concerned about the side markers, I'm leaning towards some lowering springs. Also, though I like the clean lines, I really think that curvy body looks good with a gt2 style rear wing.

My local p-car mechanic quoted me about 8 hrs labor ($720!) for doing the springs. That doesn't even include the springs themselves. Does that sound right or a little on the high side? Who has an idea on price/source for good rear wing?
TL
Only one way to go on the rear wing - Misha (see sponsor section)
Attached Images      
Old 11-08-2007, 03:45 AM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i really like the new wing design - good work misha, you make me wanna switch mine up.
Old 11-08-2007, 09:40 AM
tlarocque
Three Wheelin'

How much was the wing?
Old 11-08-2007, 11:22 AM
aceventura33
AutoX

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I am considering selling my '04 M3 and getting a 2002 C4S or a 2001 Turbo also. Before my M3 I had a 1999 C2, I bought used with low miles. I had several problems with the car and sold it about a year after I bought it. My M3 has free scheduled maintenance and was under warranty, and has been 100% problem free-now at 50500 miles. I will drive any car I have 12 to 15 thousand miles per year rain or shine and go to the track about once or twice per year. I drive conservatively most of the time and in traffic, carefully picking my moments when to open it up. Nothing turns me off to a car more than having to spend a lot of time taking it to the shop. I fell in love with the handling, road feel and overall performance of the 911. I am hoping my first experience with the 996 service issues was the exception. Are there certain things to look for unique to the C4S or turbo between 2001 and 2003, the model years I am looking at?
Old 11-08-2007, 12:01 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Originally Posted by aceventura33
I am considering selling my '04 M3 and getting a 2002 C4S or a 2001 Turbo also. Before my M3 I had a 1999 C2, I bought used with low miles. I had several problems with the car and sold it about a year after I bought it. My M3 has free scheduled maintenance and was under warranty, and has been 100% problem free-now at 50500 miles. I will drive any car I have 12 to 15 thousand miles per year rain or shine and go to the track about once or twice per year. I drive conservatively most of the time and in traffic, carefully picking my moments when to open it up. Nothing turns me off to a car more than having to spend a lot of time taking it to the shop. I fell in love with the handling, road feel and overall performance of the 911. I am hoping my first experience with the 996 service issues was the exception. Are there certain things to look for unique to the C4S or turbo between 2001 and 2003, the model years I am looking at?

i made the move 8 or so months ago from the same m3 on LMs, TC Kline to an '02 c4s with pss9s.

m3 was pretty trouble free (steering pump went out) and the c4s i'm running with an aftermarket warranty (cost me $3.5K).

the 911 is more fun to own/drive and my c4s has been trouble-free thus far. i've put on about 10K miles to date and things will slow down since fall/winter time is here (i have a commuter suv).

just make sure you pick one with the options you want. my is pretty loaded and i wouldn't want anything less especially on the 996 since the interior can be pretty cheap/boring without all the $$ optional bits.
Old 11-08-2007, 12:45 PM
tlarocque
Three Wheelin'

I found that, for my budget, I could get a higher mileage twin turbo or the car I ended up with, what so far seems to be a pretty pristine, CPO, 2002 C4S. I would love to have a turbo but my gut told me to stay away from the few cars I looked at. None of them were as clean as the C4S I just bought.

My initial impressions are very positive. The engine feels like it has much more torque than the M3, even though it is rated only slightly more. It certainly doens't feel any slower than the M3 and it makes power all the way up to the red line. Fun! The car begs to be driven, and the feel is wonderful. The brakes are absolutely phenomenal (and I thought my M3 Competion was good).

Go drive one, you'll be hooked.
Old 11-08-2007, 12:56 PM
Ms.Greta
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's another look at my white version for you :-)
Attached Images  
Old 11-08-2007, 01:05 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

I found that, for my budget, I could get a higher mileage twin turbo or the car I ended up with, what so far seems to be a pretty pristine, CPO, 2002 C4S. I would love to have a turbo but my gut told me to stay away from the few cars I looked at. None of them were as clean as the C4S I just bought.

My initial impressions are very positive. The engine feels like it has much more torque than the M3, even though it is rated only slightly more. It certainly doens't feel any slower than the M3 and it makes power all the way up to the red line. Fun! The car begs to be driven, and the feel is wonderful. The brakes are absolutely phenomenal (and I thought my M3 Competion was good).

Go drive one, you'll be hooked.
if u don't have pse with it, you need to drive one with it. ideally with pse and with the evoms intake. it's insane how it sounds at wot in 3rd, 4th gear
Old 11-08-2007, 01:11 PM
tlarocque
Three Wheelin'

what is pse? exhaust? mine sounds insane with the throttle open.
Old 11-08-2007, 01:20 PM
gregorycarl
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Ben,
I've seen your car from the outside - very impressive. Do you have any interior shots of your upgrades?
Old 11-08-2007, 01:33 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Originally Posted by gregorycarl
Ben,
I've seen your car from the outside - very impressive. Do you have any interior shots of your upgrades?
it's pretty much close to maxed out w/ OEM carbon fiber out coupled with the oem sport seats color backed. i also have the brushed aluminum dials which i love. also has the oem leather stitched steering wheel center along with the silver badge which isn't factory but high quality.

if the car didn't come with this "stuff", i would've kept my M3 to be quite honest. but once i saw this car for sale the way it was, i knew i had to give it a shot.

Quick Reply: M3 or C4S?