Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

How do you disable the 120 kph speed alarm?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 03:57 PM
Fallon
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you disable the 120 kph speed alarm?

I just got a 2004 996 here in Kuwait. All Kuwaiti vehicles are mandated to have a warning chime/buzzer that goes off when you excede 120kph.

It's not the same as the chimes you can program in through the PCM system, but something else. Anybody know how to disable this annoying chime by chance?
Old 11-03-2007, 04:52 PM
Loren
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check your owners manual - that is the OBC (On Board Computer chime).
Old 11-03-2007, 05:11 PM
Porsche911Carrera2
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey I just returned from a trip in Kuwait and Dubai and saw A LOT of nice P-cars there. Where in Kuwait do you live? We stayed in Salmiya near Sultan Center.

By the way, my friend there owns a 2004 Cayenne Turbo and there was no chime at 120 km/h.
Old 11-04-2007, 03:36 PM
Fallon
Intermediate

By the OBC, you mean the 3 different alarms you can program in to go off at different speeds? I assumed it was that and going to be an easy fix when I came across it in the manual when I first got it. Unfortunately there is a separate system from that involved as well.

The 120+ kph alarm is a Kuwait only thing, all cars sold here have to have it apparently. I know a lot of people get it disabled, but I haven't tried taking it anywhere and getting somebody to yet. I'm more of the DIY type of guy and would like to know how it works so I can hook it back up to be legal and all before i sell it.

I live in Mangaf and work on camp Arifjan, nicer here than the past year I spent in Afghanistan, not nearly as nice as back home in the states though.Nice
Old 11-09-2007, 10:23 AM
Fallon
Intermediate

Well, stopped by the dealer the other day and they killed it for free. Took about 5-10 minutes and I had to set things back to Fahrenheit from Centigrade. I went and set the manual alarm to 120, and just get 1 nice beep when passing it, rather than the constant annoying chimes. I'm happy.
Old 11-09-2007, 05:36 PM
ElTorrente
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Fallon
I live in Mangaf and work on camp Arifjan, nicer here than the past year I spent in Afghanistan, not nearly as nice as back home in the states though.Nice
How many Porsches did you see in Afghanistan?

What kind of cars do they drive there?
Old 11-10-2007, 12:46 AM
Fallon
Intermediate

Never saw anything close to a Porsche in Afghanistan. Lots of older beat up cars. They typical Toyota Hiluxs (overseas version of the Tacoma) & Land Cruisers. Most of the taxi's are Toyota Corolla's or a Toyota minivan... both of which come in 4 wheel drive. So many potholes in the paved roads, and so much unpaved roads around that I've seen minivans and corollas doing more gnarly off-roading than most U.S H2's will ever do. Most of the heavy trucks are ancient, not uncommon to see 30+ year old trucks lumbering along.

I have some photos of some of the driving located at http://www.fallonz.com/coppermine/th...s.php?album=52
Old 11-10-2007, 02:33 AM
ElTorrente
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Fallon
Never saw anything close to a Porsche in Afghanistan. Lots of older beat up cars. They typical Toyota Hiluxs (overseas version of the Tacoma) & Land Cruisers. Most of the taxi's are Toyota Corolla's or a Toyota minivan... both of which come in 4 wheel drive. So many potholes in the paved roads, and so much unpaved roads around that I've seen minivans and corollas doing more gnarly off-roading than most U.S H2's will ever do. Most of the heavy trucks are ancient, not uncommon to see 30+ year old trucks lumbering along.

I have some photos of some of the driving located at http://www.fallonz.com/coppermine/th...s.php?album=52
Thanks for that info - interesting stuff.

I enjoyed looking at your pictures, also. Looks like a pretty scary place to be..
Old 02-06-2013, 06:36 PM
Q8drill
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same problem on my 1996, the speed buzzer goes off when reaching 120KM, Any ideas.

Cheers
Old 02-07-2013, 11:30 AM
pszikla
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I didn't know these cars could go faster than 120KPH!?
Haha, that chime would drive me crazy!!
Pete

Quick Reply: How do you disable the 120 kph speed alarm?