Sponsored by:

Possible Flood Damage?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 11:21 AM
msweeney
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible Flood Damage?

I'm going to look at a 911 to buy this Monday but the Carfax said it was registered in Alabama during Huricane Katrina. The car was then sold to somebody else 3 months later. It makes me very suspicious, although it does not have a Flood or salvage title. What should I look for and where should I look to determine that nothing severe happened? I will probably take it to the Porsche dealer for a PPI. Would that be enough to make me feel secure?

Thanks.
Old 11-02-2007, 11:24 AM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Walk...my friend. Never, EVER consider a car with a flood history. Accident damage can be evaluated to some degree. But, Flood damage risks the potential for constant electrical issues. Unless you plan to gut the car and turn into a track beastie, walk ....actually RUN AWAY!

Old 11-02-2007, 11:38 AM
pat056
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where in Alabama? That state goes from the Gulf to the mountains. I would say anything above Montgomery would fine. Does it list flood issues or are you just concerned? I mean, I live in South Carolina. There's a hurricane somewhere in this state practically every year!
Old 11-02-2007, 11:44 AM
msweeney
Advanced

The Carfax says it is guaranteed to not have flood damage, but warns that it was registered in a county that was declared a flood disaster area. Tuscaloosa, Al. Then sold 3 months later. I just thought that was a little fishy.
Old 11-02-2007, 11:54 AM
pat056
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would think it's worth a look see. Flood disaster just gets a county federal funds. I mean, 5" of rain, and the Govener's going to ask for disaster money. I don't know this car, but if it were me, I'd keep looking at it.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:03 PM
msweeney
Advanced

Here is a pic of the car. It's pretty - hope it's ok. It's exactly what I'm looking for. Hopefully I posted it right. I'm new to this.

Last edited by msweeney; 11-30-2007 at 11:39 AM.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:19 PM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Regardless of what it looks like...if you don't have a good feeling, walk. Period.

C.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:25 PM
UFO007
Instructor

I was looking at a BMW M3 recently that was in New Orleans and CarFax had the same warning. it seems that any vehicle that was registered in NO during Katrina carries the same warning also.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:30 PM
TamiyaGuy
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts

Alright, if you're going to go look at it, you could try to look for evidence of flooding but it's important to point out that the untrained eye may not pick up on things. What you can pick up on are only obvious things. I tend to stay away from these cars because other buyers are likely suspicious as well which makes it a hard sell later on.

1) Check the interior and check the trunk, is there a musty or funky smell to either? Has the owner used a lot of air freshners suspiciously?

2) Remove the floor matts and look under the carpetings. Look for evidence of water line or water exposure. On black carpets it may come across as a grey film or discoloring with a distinct line.

3) Perform the same exercise for the trunk liner

4) Look at the interior components, does the level of wear match the mileage? If the interior has been swapped with another one, it can sometimes mismatch in terms of wear. Either too little or too much.

5) Check that electricals all work, look for removed fuses from fuse box which may be done to hide certain problems.

It's unlikely you'll find much evidence under the car or in the engine bay so the interior is your best shot. Anyone smart would have totally steamed clean the engine bay and underside.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:41 PM
msweeney
Advanced

Thanks guys. I think it is worth looking at. It's only a 3 hour drive each way. Worth it for a 911, right? There are a couple over there to look at, so I'll make it a productive trip.

I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:43 PM
spiderv6
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by msweeney
. I just thought that was a little fishy.
There you go then.......
Old 11-02-2007, 12:44 PM
Mother
Burning Brakes

You can also check by pulling a couple of relays in the fuse box and checking for corrosion on relay terminals.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:56 PM
smackboy1
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I lost a car to a flood. It filled up over the ashtray. Totalled of course. Here are some things to look for as evidence of flood damage:

1) The mildew smell. It's very hard to get rid of and it permeates everything in the car. Is the interior heavily scented to try to disguise the odor? Smell the carpet and headliner up close.

2) Take a flashlight and small dental mirror and examine underneath the seats. Look for signs of silt or mud and corrosion around any metal or wiring. Especially seat springs, rails and electrical harnesses. Check underneath the carpet.

3) Take the light and mirror and check up underneath the dash and footwells for evidence of water damage. Do the electrical connectors look shiny?

4) Check underneath the spare tire well for signs of silt or water incursion.

5) Look for condensation inside headlights, turn signals, interior lights and gauges.

6) Has the entire interior been replaced? Do the carpets, seats or other trim seem too new or mismatched?
Old 11-02-2007, 09:24 PM
deano51
8th Gear

I bought a flood car about 12 years ago and regretted it from day one.. well, maybe day two. Was a happy day when I finally sold it, at quite a loss I might add.
Old 11-03-2007, 10:08 AM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Why not look at it and inspect it carefuuly with the inspection tips given BEFORE you actually commit to buying it. No harm to look and assess it on your own.

Quick Reply: Possible Flood Damage?