Sponsored by:

Do you drive it like you stole it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 12:51 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by mickey6
I am wondering what the driving styles are for everyone on this MB? I occasionally have the 996 do some short 20-60 mph sprints but nothing above 3500 RPM. I don't think she is happy as she likes to be driven hard.
I drive hard. I drive off the rev limiter. I use ABS. I squeal the tires on turns. I.e., I drive on the track.

For daily driving, I don't sprint, but after getting to operating temps, I only drive in the power band

Originally Posted by UFO007
My on board computer thingy tells me that my current average MPG is 13ish. What does that tell you?
Mine says 8.7 this morning. But I was at the track last weekend. One intestesting thing, I reset my trip odometer this before I went to the track - my weekend miles driven was just about 400 miles. And that took me 2 tanks of gas (one complete tank per day).

-td
Old 11-01-2007, 01:14 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

I'll frequently accelerate rapidly from a stop (not a launch, mind you), run it up to 6k RPM in a few gears. I use the brakes firmly for the fun of it. But I don't corner excessivly on the street (i.e. no tire squeal).

Basically, I try to be well behaved on the street...

On the track, it'll be a different story (I haven't tracked the 996 yet).
Old 11-01-2007, 02:19 PM
mickey6
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks all for the lovely suggestions and opinions. I will surely open her up a bit more as I gain in confidence and know the limits a bit more. Will look at the Autocross and the PCA chapters and choose.

I was averaging 22 MPG and now I average close to 19!! I am ashamed.

On another note I thought tire pressure at 36f/44r was a bit too much (harsh ride) and eased it to 35/37 on the 18 continentals. The ride is much more comfortable. Anyone else doing that?

Thx.

MiCkEy
Old 11-01-2007, 02:27 PM
TheSpeedDemon
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pedal to the Metal as often as possible ... drive it like a PORSCHE is meant to be driven
Old 11-01-2007, 02:38 PM
Pugnacious P
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nope. I drive it like I own it.... lol
Old 11-01-2007, 03:56 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyK
Meaning take it to redline, then ease off the gas without braking = good for the engine?

Just lift off the gas all the way and coast down.
Old 11-01-2007, 04:58 PM
hwk72
Burning Brakes

Thanks all for the lovely suggestions and opinions. I will surely open her up a bit more as I gain in confidence and know the limits a bit more. Will look at the Autocross and the PCA chapters and choose.

I was averaging 22 MPG and now I average close to 19!! I am ashamed.

On another note I thought tire pressure at 36f/44r was a bit too much (harsh ride) and eased it to 35/37 on the 18 continentals. The ride is much more comfortable. Anyone else doing that?

Thx.

MiCkEy
I learned with all my past cars that driving them hard keeps the engine in good shape and responsive; never felt that it would harm the car; just give the engine/oil time to warm up.

As LJpete said, take it to Summit Point http://www.summitpoint-raceway.com/. On their web page you'll find an event calendar with links to the car clubs that perform DE events. I do DE events with a variety of clubs, no need to limit to PCA.

For the tire pressure on 18 inch street tires: If you drive her really hard (e.g. track), then the hot pressure is relevant. I bring the cold pressure down to 30-32 front, 32-34 rear and measure at the end of the session 40psi or slightly more which I think is perfect for my driving style. I learned that this cold-warm pressure difference also depends on the tire brand. If I'd start a DE session at 35/37 cold, then I'd end up way too high. The 35/37 can only be meant for relaxed street driving but even on the street I prefer to run lower pressure; important: keep at least 2psi difference between front and rear pressure.

See you at Summit Point soon!
Old 11-01-2007, 05:55 PM
ElTorrente
Burning Brakes

Cracks me up to hear people talk about "saving" their engine, or "protecting" it by keeping the revs low.

Once it's warmed up, use the engine like it was meant to be. When accelerating fast, shift at 6800+. Engine brake when coming to a stop to suck the crap that blows by the rings back out to help keep the internals clean. Those blow-by gases/substances can eat up your engine from the inside out. Never accelerate hard from low rpms! That's bogging the engine, and is hard on everything from the engine to the drivetrain, and causes carbon deposits to build up on the pistons! How in the world can you keep the engine running strong and clean by not taking over 4000rpm's?!?!? Keep the engine in it's torque band when driving hard and/or accelerating at more than a moderate rate.

The engine was designed to run, not to bog around town like a granny. You guys live in fear of the engine blowing up, and end up hurting the engine more by babying it. It's like taking a great athelete and telling him to just sit on the couch and never do more than a fast walk, because you want to keep him healthy.

I drive my car hard without abusing it, and it loves me for it. 104k miles and counting and it doesn't burn one drop of oil, drip anything, no rms, and just passed california smog check with excellent emmission numbers.

The people that have issues with high oil consumption and drips and leaks always seem to be the people that say they drive very carefully - "carefully" generally meaning the type of driving that actually isn't good for the engine at all.
Old 11-01-2007, 06:03 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Watch Walter Rohrl drive his Porsche around the track...he's one of the few that really can drive like he stole it.
Old 11-01-2007, 06:34 PM
jrok
Racer

Originally Posted by JimB
Once it's warmed up I never shift below 8000.
+1 Here, Here.
Big Fun with GT3's
Old 11-01-2007, 06:53 PM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

I am wondering what the driving styles are for everyone on this MB?
If I didn't hit the rev limiter at least once per trip, I'm not sure why I'd own a Porsche. It's a multi-valve flat-six...it loves (er, NEEDS?) to be revved.

I do find it interesting that you shift your Porsche at a lower RPM than the engine in my other car turns while cruising on the Interstate (4k RPMs).
Old 11-01-2007, 07:12 PM
Patrick
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist
Member - times 3

Received 227 Likes on 139 Posts

I may not drive it like I stole it, but I do drive it like it's paid for.
Old 11-01-2007, 07:54 PM
apterr
Racer

Mickey6,
As soon as you participate in a DE event you will feel MUCH more comfortable regarding stepping on your gas pedal (and your brake pedal too). Prior to my first DE, I was much more conservative. Now, I love to find myself the only car on a long entrance ramp to a highway (assuming the car is warmed up).
Best wishes,
Andy T

Last edited by apterr; 11-01-2007 at 07:55 PM. Reason: spell check
Old 11-01-2007, 08:09 PM
drive4fun
Track Day

Andy,

1+ on a DE letting you know what the throttle and brake pedals will do. My shifts happen much later than they used to after tracking the car at a DE. Something fun about being in the power band and getting it up to redline every now and then when safe.
Old 11-02-2007, 03:37 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

Race car always,street car never.

Quick Reply: Do you drive it like you stole it?