BMC flat filter 156/01

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 09:26 AM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Thumbs up BMC flat filter 156/01

Hi guys,

Just wanted to report back with the results of a minor (okay, extremely minor) modification that was made on my car yesterday. I had taken my car in for service to have an alignment completed (an annual ritual considering the roads in the tri-state area) and decided to have a BMW freer-flowing air filter installed in the car instead of the OEM paper filter. I already have an aftermarket exhaust on my car. Here are my quick findings, observed on the thirty minute drive after picking up the car:
  • It drives substantially smoother. This isn't speculation or a but dyno analysis. Prior to installation, I had noticed that the car seriously 'gasped' and 'surged' as rpms built during strong acceleration (It's one of the reasons I opted for the BMW 'upgrade'). That surging is NO longer the case. Acceleration is strong, smooth and linear.
  • Any increase (or decrease) in engine noise is not apparent. It may be the result of my symphonic RUF exhaust, but even placing my head near the engine bay during revs doesn't reveal and more or less amplitude in sound from the airbox.
  • Does the car feel faster? I can't really say. It doesn't feel slower, that's for sure. However, getting back to the above point, it feels infinitely smoother, and consequently, I seem to drive faster and more 'cleanly'. As the gasping had bothered me a bit prior, I'm glad it's resolved.

While some may question that the OEM paper filter was dirty, I can understand your doubts. However, the paper filter had been replaced a bit back and the surging sensation on hard acceleration had still be apparent. Is it an absolute HP and torque generator? It'd be pretty dubious to make that claim, but I'm very pleased overall. Indeed, I'm pleased enough to reconsider my dismissal of an EVO CAI installation and will likely proceed with it this winter when I make my suspension mods.

Cheers all.

UPDATE: I just wanted to post a link to the air filter that was installed.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:37 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by nycebo
Hi guys,

Just wanted to report back ..... decided to have a BMW freer-flowing air filter installed in the car instead of the OEM paper filter. I already have an aftermarket exhaust on my car. ....
UPDATE: I just wanted to post a link to the air filter that was installed.
Edward - I am assuming the BMW is a typo and should have been BMC?

Quick Reply: BMC flat filter 156/01