Sponsored by:

Accident #2

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 10:44 PM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by nosub
We are considering if it is totaled to take away the 2007 Honda Accord Coupe he is driving, buy a beater for him (something like a 2002-2003 Toyota Tacoma).
Man, you're going to "punish" him by taking away his '07 Accord and give him an '02 Tacoma? Will you be my dad?

The best thing my parents ever did for me was make me buy my own car after I wrecked theirs when I was 19. I bought a Ford Ranger for $12,500 and my monthly payments were $281. The reason I remember that is probably part of what helped me grow up.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:03 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Yup, no son of mine would be driving my cars after breaking the rules.

Calling an '02 Tacoma a beater is a bit of a stretch.

Make him buy his own car - in the meantime let him understand the inconvenience he has caused by being without wheels.

I just don't get parents that wrap their kids in cotton wool and "let them experience reality" by taking away a brand new car and giving them a replacement that is no kick in the teeth.

Pur-leeese!

...and people wonder why kids have no sense of reality and self responsibility!

Well, congratulations, you reap the seeds that you sow.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:09 AM
pat056
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All I know is when it comes to parenthood, it's easier to give advice than to be in your shoes. I used to look at parents and say "why don't they do better to control their children". Now I say "so I have that problem to look forward to".
Parenting is tough. I know how I want to deal with my step-children, and it's not always the same as I do with my child. And in either case, I'm less understanding than my parents were.
I do know my mom made me pay my way and I'm a firm believer in that. I know when I was in college, so many kids were there on their parents dime, so many viewed it as 4 more years before I have to decide what I'm going to do with my life. As for me? It was a financial decision to go to college from the start...going in debt now for a bigger payout vs. making money now and hanging with my friends.
This made such a positive impact on me later on that is what I try do think of when I'm making decisions as a parent. That still doesn't make it any easier, though.
Good luck!!
Old 10-24-2007, 09:16 AM
nosub
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tooloud10
Man, you're going to "punish" him by taking away his '07 Accord and give him an '02 Tacoma? Will you be my dad?

The best thing my parents ever did for me was make me buy my own car after I wrecked theirs when I was 19. I bought a Ford Ranger for $12,500 and my monthly payments were $281. The reason I remember that is probably part of what helped me grow up.
responding to the above and the post that followed...

Easier said than done. He is a great kid but not of the highest IQ (severe dyslexia). He does have a full time job but it only pays around $800 a month. After paying his own gas, food, etc. not much left over for a vehicle. As compared to his older brother who is 23 in last year of college. Older brother pays all of his own bills and I mean all of them while going to school. We pay for school/books but that is it. Send him some money every now and then but not much. If we did as you say and took the Accord away and said that he would have to buy his own car he could nto afford it, which would mean he moves back home and then how would he get to work? Tough situation..
Old 10-24-2007, 09:29 AM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Easier said than done. He is a great kid but not of the highest IQ (severe dyslexia). He does have a full time job but it only pays around $800 a month. After paying his own gas, food, etc. not much left over for a vehicle. As compared to his older brother who is 23 in last year of college. Older brother pays all of his own bills and I mean all of them while going to school. We pay for school/books but that is it. Send him some money every now and then but not much. If we did as you say and took the Accord away and said that he would have to buy his own car he could nto afford it, which would mean he moves back home and then how would he get to work? Tough situation..
You don't owe anybody here an explanation. Anybody who's actually raised kids knows that there's no manual and every situation is unique. Anybody who's actually raised kids and made some money along the way knows that it's a constant moral struggle between the fact that you can afford to help and the variable that it's not always going to be the right thing to do. And anybody who's actually raised kids to adulthood knows that you don't stop caring about them when they become 'adults'.

Sorry about your truck. I hope things get resolved for you quickly.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:03 AM
pat056
Rennlist Member

Bruce P. +1+
It's easy to give advice, but hard when your heart's involved. If my mother had taken some of the advice she got when raising me, I wouldn't be where I am today. She raised 3, and we're ALL different, and we've all been our on special challenge.
There ain't no manual to raising children...at least not one that answers all these tough questions.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:42 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

More often than not, there is usually "more to the story" than initially disclosed and here is another example. That is why I don't get on my "soap box" too much when it comes to situations like this. Since I haven't walked in your shoes, I don't think I should criticize you for handling a situation a certain way.

All any of us can do is try to instill in our children a certain set of "values and morals." Those "values and morals" will be different in each family, because we call look at life through our own eyes, not anyone else's eyes. We can try to give them guidance and direction, but untimately they still make their own decisions as they get older. We do the best we can, and unfortunatley, as parents we make mistakes along the way, just as our children do.

I wish you and your family the best in getting through this situation. Hopefully, it will be a learning situation for your son so he can and will avoid similar situations in the future.
Old 10-24-2007, 01:16 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by gota911
More often than not, there is usually "more to the story" than initially disclosed and here is another example. That is why I don't get on my "soap box" too much when it comes to situations like this. Since I haven't walked in your shoes, I don't think I should criticize you for handling a situation a certain way.

All any of us can do is try to instill in our children a certain set of "values and morals." Those "values and morals" will be different in each family, because we call look at life through our own eyes, not anyone else's eyes. We can try to give them guidance and direction, but untimately they still make their own decisions as they get older. We do the best we can, and unfortunatley, as parents we make mistakes along the way, just as our children do.

I wish you and your family the best in getting through this situation. Hopefully, it will be a learning situation for your son so he can and will avoid similar situations in the future.

Agreed 100%. Enstill the values and everything else will work out fine.
Old 10-24-2007, 03:46 PM
pat056
Rennlist Member

Back to my original posts. Now I have to deal with 4 insurance companies (at least), theirs and mine, 2 auto body shops, several doctors...Man!
Well, at least:
On one seriously hurt
Not my fault-although talking to the insurance companies, you would think so.
All initiators were insured.
It's gonna be a helluva ride.
And to think, when I was wrecked in a race on the track, a couple of angry red faces followed by a couple of hand shakes, and all was well...Ah the simple life
Old 10-24-2007, 07:19 PM
nosub
Instructor

Originally Posted by pat056
Back to my original posts. Now I have to deal with 4 insurance companies (at least), theirs and mine, 2 auto body shops, several doctors...Man!
Well, at least:
On one seriously hurt
Not my fault-although talking to the insurance companies, you would think so.
All initiators were insured.
It's gonna be a helluva ride.
And to think, when I was wrecked in a race on the track, a couple of angry red faces followed by a couple of hand shakes, and all was well...Ah the simple life
Hope all turns out well. Luckily it sounds like they are all different carriers. Had a situation once where both had the same company. They actually filed suit against themselves in order to assign blame so BOTH drivers would have to pay a deductible!
Old 10-25-2007, 06:39 AM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Pat,

Sorry to hear about your accident. and your son's of course.

I would ask Wayne(chief mech) at Euroclassics who he would recommend. Not sure if you know him. Good man. He has genuine passion for porsches as a mechanic!

Hope everything sorts out in your favor.

Mike
Old 10-25-2007, 09:26 AM
pat056
Rennlist Member

OK
Got a call from the insurer of the truck that hit my Porsche. I'm to meet with them today. It's Nationwide and their policy is to have someone estimate the damage and hand me a check. I've never heard of this. I thought you took it to an approved shop and the shop and insurer worked it out, unless totalled, of course.
My questions are:
1) Anyone deal with Nationwide before? Did you find them fair?
2) I've already received a quote from the shop I want to de the work. What if this estimate is less? Can I refuse the quote? Is there a chance the body shop may work with me? It's been my experience that all shops pretty much give the same estimate, using samilar software I would imagine is approved by the insurance adjusters. Am I correct in that assumption? Should i show them the quote I've already received?
Old 10-25-2007, 09:55 AM
gota911
Lifetime Rennlist

OK
Got a call from the insurer of the truck that hit my Porsche. I'm to meet with them today. It's Nationwide and their policy is to have someone estimate the damage and hand me a check. I've never heard of this. I thought you took it to an approved shop and the shop and insurer worked it out, unless totalled, of course.
My questions are:
2) I've already received a quote from the shop I want to de the work. What if this estimate is less? Can I refuse the quote? Is there a chance the body shop may work with me? It's been my experience that all shops pretty much give the same estimate, using samilar software I would imagine is approved by the insurance adjusters. Am I correct in that assumption? Should i show them the quote I've already received?

Keep your cards (your quote) close to your vest. Wait until they give you their quote before you consider showing them your quote. Ask them what happens if the repair shop finds some additional items needing replacement once the repair process begins. Will they cover those items, too? Ask what the procedure for that is. If they will cover the additional charge, make sure the release document has that provision in it.

Make sure you read the release document completely before you sign it or any document they give you. Before you sign anything, it might not be a bad idea to take it home and read it so you can note any questions you have. Yes, it will necessitate a second trip to their office to sign the document, but it could save you a lot of time and aggravation later on.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:56 AM
gota911
Lifetime Rennlist

OK
My questions are:

Keep your cards (your quote) close to your vest. Wait until they give you their quote before you consider showing them your quote. Ask them what happens if the repair shop finds some additional items needing replacement once the repair process begins. Will they cover those items, too? Ask what the procedure for that is. If they will cover the additional charge, make sure the release document has that provision in it.

Make sure you read the release document completely before you sign it or any document they give you. Before you sign anything, it might not be a bad idea to take it home and read it so you can note any questions you have. Yes, it will necessitate a second trip to their office to sign the document, but it could save you a lot of time and aggravation later on.

BTW - do you have any pics of the P-car damage?
Old 10-25-2007, 10:01 AM
nosub
Instructor

And until you are absolutely sure do not endorse/cash the check they give you. Some companies consider that acceptance and payment in full. If you then find more damage - tough

Quick Reply: Accident #2