Sponsored by:

Detaching side skirt

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 12:22 PM
jacksonking
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Detaching side skirt

I'd like to remove and reattach my sideskirts. There is a gap at the front of each where is is not fitted correctly and the gap catches sand, etc.

I assume I can remove, clean any adhesive, etc. pretty easily without instructions. Can someone tell me what product to use to reattach them?

Thanks,

Jack
Old 10-18-2007, 01:00 PM
TheSpeedDemon
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmmm...a body shop just recently had to R&R one of my side skirts due to some damage, and I believe they used 3M tape but there are some screws as well at certain points (i.e. front and rear areas that go into the wheel well), but I can tell you that I still have a gap, not big but like you enough to have some sand get in there.

Another Rennlist'r just installed there own AeroKit I body parts so you may want to hit them up (thread link: https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=54027), they can at least tell you about install. I am thinking that after removing you will need to remove the adhesive left over and that can be done with different products, WD40 works well even Goof Off does, but don't take my word for it as I leave this type of work for the pro's.
Old 10-18-2007, 05:47 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Received 754 Likes on 380 Posts

As the prior poster mentioned, I just installed my skirts. My guess is that it would take some force to remove the skirts where the tape is adhered to the body, but it could probably be done once all the other screws are undone. This is simple: If you have the newer style MKI skirts (the kind that use tape and screws that are inserted into clips on the underbody, as oppossed to the earlier MKI skirts that used epoxy), there are about 8-10 little screws along the bottom of the skirt that screw into clips that attach to the spine where the underbody meets the frame. You can unscrew all of these (leaving the clips in place...they are in there good!). Then, there is one screw (if I recall correctly) in each wheel well holding the ends of the skirts on. Remove all of these and the skirt will be attached via the tape only. Then you can tryp to pry the skirt off. Good luck.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:59 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Also, you might want to use a hair dryer to warm up the adhesive a little. That may help you get the tape off a little easier.

Quick Reply: Detaching side skirt