Sponsored by:

996 in the winter - Salt?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 11:48 PM
Shane D
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 996 in the winter - Salt?

I was just wondering how the 996's are holding up for the folks that drive them in the winter? Any salt damage yet? Do you undercoat them?
I was pestering Adrian Streather on when his 996 book might be available, and he mentioned that the 996's are more vulnerable to salt damage because there is no lower motor cover (I think I quoted him correctly).
So, for those of you who are cruising around in the snow, how is the car holding up? Do you spray the underside for salt?

My never ending search keeps thinking about a C4S/Turbo for a year round D/D.
Old 10-17-2007, 12:17 AM
JBRipps
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm hearing they are fine.....I just picked up a c4s, and have winter wheels and blizzaks all ready to go...DD all the way.

J
Old 10-17-2007, 12:24 AM
Patrick
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist
Member - times 3

Received 227 Likes on 139 Posts

This subject has been discussed. Use the search feature. Not chastising you, just suggesting you will get a lot of value out of the result.

IMHO:
Salt does damage to almost any machine, no matter what it is made of. Porsches do hold up well. Keep it clean, and dry. Salt does its damage with moisture. If you want to drive your car on salted roads, do so and enjoy it. I think it will hurt the car, but then again I track mine and I believe that hurts it worse than salt. Salt is not for me, I have other cars that take that abuse. Let no one tell you it doesn't hurt the car.
Old 10-17-2007, 12:43 AM
bronston
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Suggestion

One thing might help. I believe some automatic carwashes do the undercarriage. A trip through after the salt washes away from the roads might be useful.
Old 10-17-2007, 12:47 AM
Patrick
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist
Member - times 3

Originally Posted by bronston
One thing might help. I believe some automatic carwashes do the undercarriage. A trip through after the salt washes away from the roads might be useful.
I won't even bother to scream "no automatic washes" for these cars. There are others here who will handle that. I always believed that a "touchless" automatic wash would be OK. That was before my car was assaulted by one. It carved up the right rear quarter pretty bad. The laser sensors were not set low enough to detect the rear quarter panel. It shot the rear quarter glass and came in about 8 inches early. The car is still seeing a therapist.
Old 10-17-2007, 01:41 AM
Paul Marangoni
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Shane D
Do you undercoat them?
Yes!!! Go to Krown! http://www.krownhalifax.com/
Old 10-17-2007, 10:20 AM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

I never salt my 996. I don't have any issues, but I try to wash any off... just make sure if you're using a self service pressure washer you gentle was the salt away otherwise it will scratch the paint.

Rob
Old 10-17-2007, 11:35 AM
Shane D
Pro

Originally Posted by Patrick
This subject has been discussed. Use the search feature. Not chastising you, just suggesting you will get a lot of value out of the result.

I have seen MANY discussions on the driving in snow, but I could not recall one just concerning salt damage, but I will have a look.

IMHO:
Salt does damage to almost any machine, no matter what it is made of. Porsches do hold up well. Keep it clean, and dry. Salt does its damage with moisture. If you want to drive your car on salted roads, do so and enjoy it. I think it will hurt the car, but then again I track mine and I believe that hurts it worse than salt. Salt is not for me, I have other cars that take that abuse. Let no one tell you it doesn't hurt the car.
I figured there would be a price to pay. I was just wondering how it is working out for someone that has been doing it for maybe five years.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:37 AM
Shane D
Pro

Originally Posted by riad

I never salt my 996. I don't have any issues, but I try to wash any off... just make sure if you're using a self service pressure washer you gentle was the salt away otherwise it will scratch the paint.

Rob
Has your car been a year round driver since birth? If so, do you undercoat? How has it held up?
Old 10-17-2007, 12:25 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Shane D
Has your car been a year round driver since birth? If so, do you undercoat? How has it held up?
Yes, picked it up in Jan. 2004 and drove it home from Boston to NY.... been driving it every winter since. With snow tires it's as good as anything else on the road.

I didn't do anything special to the undercoat except get that crap at the carwash.
Old 10-17-2007, 12:41 PM
bet
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

DD drove my 996 for 3 years. Used Blizzak LM-25's in the winter and never undercoated. Salt is used heavily in my area. No problems what so ever. No noticeable damage to the under body or paint (except arguably more rock chips on the front from the sand used with the salt). I do use the touchless car washes that offered under body spray/washin frequently in the winter. Drive and enjoy.
Old 10-17-2007, 03:23 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

For what its worth most car washes use filtered recycled water for their rinse cycle. In the winter your car is getting a nice diluted saline under-body rinse. I park the 987 after the first salt and don't bring it out until we get a nice rain storm to wash all that crap off the road. Titan and Wrangler in the winter!
Old 10-17-2007, 03:55 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

The car wash I go to uses natural imported spring water which is cleansed via a reverse osmosis system to purify the water before it goes through a UV filter and finally a triple filtration containment system.
Old 10-17-2007, 04:09 PM
Patrick
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist
Member - times 3

Originally Posted by riad
The car wash I go to uses natural imported spring water which is cleansed via a reverse osmosis system to purify the water before it goes through a UV filter and finally a triple filtration containment system.
Do they add vitamins and natural flavorings as well?
Old 10-17-2007, 04:11 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Patrick
Do they add vitamins and natural flavorings as well?
Yes, but it's extra. I never flavor my car, but if I did it would be cherry.

Quick Reply: 996 in the winter - Salt?