Sponsored by:

Erratic Idle

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 04:35 PM
TheSpeedDemon
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Erratic Idle

It doesn't happen all the time but most of the time my idle will be erratic (or is it considered surging ?)

But when I come to a stop my car will idle around 650 maybe 700, hard to tell using the gauge, but then it will increase on it's own to over 1,000 rpm's, then back down but below 650 to where it seems as if it is going to die, then back up again and down again and will do this unless I give the accelerator a little push to even it out. Very annoying and embarrising.

But when I put the A/C on the idle will go up to 800 rpms and the problem with the erratic idle goes away.

So do I need to adjust my idle up to 800 to eliminate the problem when I do not have the A/C on ? Or ?

Thanks in advance to those that can help me out here since really this is the first issue I have had with the car since I got it 6 months ago.

Oh I did clean the throttle body just recently hoping that would fix the issue but I guess not.
Old 10-14-2007, 04:39 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Try removing and cleaning the idle control valve (ICV). Check all intake and vacuum lines.
Old 10-14-2007, 05:31 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Steve: I had the same problem with the 996; it was surging and hunting, especially when I'd come up to a stop light or start in the morning...and I did like Porsche 911 said, but in addition, I took off the throttle body and cleaned the front AND back of it. You don't have to disconnect everything, just enough to be able to turn the TBt and see the back side. then I used CDC cleaner but didn't soak it...sprayedit lightly, then took a rag and soaked the rag in the CDC. Remember to take off the red plastic extension tube....I didn't and it shot off and went around the corner of the plenum and I had a hell of a time fishing it out. If if falls down the intake you're screwed and have a lot of stuff to take off to find it.

We'll have to get together again in Isleton or Rio Vista and have lunch with some of the other local P guys. You should have come up for Loren's Work on Cars Day. We're going to organize another one.

Chuck
Old 10-14-2007, 10:44 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

good to see you around chuck!... hows the new ride doin?
Old 10-15-2007, 04:34 AM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Did you clean the idle stabilizer valve on the throttle body?

Last edited by Tool Pants; 12-09-2007 at 03:10 PM.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:30 AM
TheSpeedDemon
Three Wheelin'

Looks like I need to clean the idle control valve.

So once I remove it, what do I use to clean it and what are the do's and dont's ?
Old 10-15-2007, 11:24 AM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TheSpeedDemon
Looks like I need to clean the idle control valve.

So once I remove it, what do I use to clean it and what are the do's and dont's ?

Just remove the 2 screws, saving the gasket and soak the valve with carb cleaner. Make sure the vertical window in the unit moves freely. Reinstall with gasket.
Old 10-15-2007, 01:48 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Redridge: quick hijack response here....love the car...put new wheels on it...mucho pleasure....keeps my pacemaker going....great car for CPR chest compressions.
Old 10-17-2007, 05:04 PM
TheSpeedDemon
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
Just remove the 2 screws, saving the gasket and soak the valve with carb cleaner. Make sure the vertical window in the unit moves freely. Reinstall with gasket.
Thanks.

I just went ahead and cleaned it and wow it was really gunked up. I thoroughly cleaned-it using the carb cleaner and some medical grade cotton tipped applicators which allowed me to get well into each opening including behind the vertical window, now it looks close to new, and the vertical window does move freely.

I just started it to make sure that it did since I had disconnected something, but I will not be able to take it for a drive yet to see if that corrected this issue or not as I am still working (I work from home most of the time). So I will let you know if I am good to go once I can take it for a drive.

Thanks again
Old 10-17-2007, 05:25 PM
michael.s.under
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thoroughly cleaned-it using the carb cleaner and some medical grade cotton tipped applicators
Are these also known as Q-tips!!!
Old 10-17-2007, 05:30 PM
TheSpeedDemon
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by michael.s.under
Are these also known as Q-tips!!!
NO...the problem with Q-Tips (brand name BTW) is that they are too soft and will leave particles from the end when using solvents like carb cleaner. They are good for the ears and baby things, but not recommended for automotive work.

The medical grade units are designed to apply ointments etc. and will not leave any particles and will not break down when using solvents like carb cleaner
Old 10-18-2007, 07:17 PM
TheSpeedDemon
Three Wheelin'

OK, just went on short drive to the grocery store with a few stop signs and lights, and once the car warmed-up the idle, without the A/C on, was around 650 to 700 but did not surge or drop, it stayed pretty stable. So right now I am thinking the problem has been fixed, however I will do another drive as soon as I can where there are a lot more stops and starts in traffic and really test this out because that was when I really noticed the issue occuring.

So stay tuned

BTW...coming back from the grocery store a small pickup truck pulled up next to me in the turn lane, and the gorgeous girl driving the car just smiled and waved at me, so I had to wave back but then she was gone...shhh, don't tell the wife, but yes I still got it
Old 10-18-2007, 08:30 PM
carlo$
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

had similar prob in my z. cleaned up the connectors to both water temp sensors and problem went away.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:13 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

OK, just went on short drive to the grocery store with a few stop signs and lights, and once the car warmed-up the idle, without the A/C on, was around 650 to 700 but did not surge or drop, it stayed pretty stable. So right now I am thinking the problem has been fixed, however I will do another drive as soon as I can where there are a lot more stops and starts in traffic and really test this out because that was when I really noticed the issue occuring.

So stay tuned

BTW...coming back from the grocery store a small pickup truck pulled up next to me in the turn lane, and the gorgeous girl driving the car just smiled and waved at me, so I had to wave back but then she was gone...shhh, don't tell the wife, but yes I still got it
Uhmmm..... I hate to be the one to tell you this, but it was the car, not you, that induced the wave from the "gorgeous girl."
Old 10-18-2007, 11:15 PM
TheSpeedDemon
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by gota911
Uhmmm..... I hate to be the one to tell you this, but it was the car, not you, that induced the wave from the "gorgeous girl."
Come on Tim, let me at least feel this good for a little longer please before you pull the rug out from under me

Quick Reply: Erratic Idle