Can I get some help please?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 11:14 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck Jones
Tim's' got a lot of kudos and recommendations behind him. I would seriously consider that car. I have no affiliation with him....I dont' even like him....but the car is in great shape. Sorry Tim...had to be truthful.

Chuck
Thanks Chuck, I love you too!
Old 10-09-2007, 11:22 PM
ArneeA
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gota911
Thanks Chuck, I love you too!
hey hey, keep it PG-13 or take it offline.
Old 10-09-2007, 11:25 PM
silotwo
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DCP
I would consider this car. Sure, you might need to replace tires and seals might fail prematurely due to lack of use, but is that that big a deal? These cars have lots of rear main seal issues and that seal is moderately expensive to replace. Even if you are more likely to need to replace the seal sooner due to low use, you were likely going to need to replace it sometime anyway. The newest version of that seal is likely to work (unlike all the prior versions), which hopefully means you only have to do it once.

And, yes the oil should have been changed annually, but does anyone really know that Mobil 1 goes bad with age? Regular oil does not, and I see no no one warning not to use old bottled Mobil 1.

As for warranties, if you look around at posts, you will see some folks worrying about the rare engine failure. Unfortunately, Porsche won't share any numbers, so it is really hard to tell how rare it is. While I wouldn't buy an extended warranty on virtually anything else, I think I will buy one when my OEM warranty is near expiration.

I am planning to buy a warranty from Warranty Direct when my OEM warranty is near expiration. You might give them a call or go to their website. I have never used them, but from the looking at posts over the past year or so, reviews of that company appear generally, but not completely, positive. As noted, coverage is not available in all states.

Most importantly, have fun with your search. These are really great cars.

Positive note on the latest seal. Mine was replaced on my 04 during CPO certification in July of this year at 24,200 miles. She has 27,500 on her today (yes I did drive it a bit in the past 6 weeks). Service writer told me that the seal is the latest design and also had three additional mounting bolts. I've been checking the oil regularly and still no drop in the level as of this afternoon. I heard that I should expect 1 qt. as normal usage every few thousand miles but so far she is holding tight. Could be good news...time will tell.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:42 AM
mickey6
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I called HBL Porsche (Tysons Corner - Virginia) and they want $4100 for a 4 year 100,000 mile Porsche warranty. I am going to go find the specifics on that warranty and what it covers etc (was on the phone with them and they do not divulge a lot of information).

thanks all for a wealth of information.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:02 AM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mickey6
I called HBL Porsche (Tysons Corner - Virginia) and they want $4100 for a 4 year 100,000 mile Porsche warranty. I am going to go find the specifics on that warranty and what it covers etc (was on the phone with them and they do not divulge a lot of information).

Better off to take the $4100 and trade natural gas futures. You'll come out farther ahead.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:16 AM
DCP
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mickey6

Since I am in the market for an extended warranty, if you wouldn't mind posting what you find in your shopping, I would appreciate it.

I am looking at a "big ticket" item coverage warranty for 4 years and 50K miles with a $100 deductible on a 03 for about $2K. The comprehensive warranty with the same deductible is $4K. I am leaning toward the former coverage.
Old 10-10-2007, 12:29 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by gota911
Phil - it's time to go sit in your chair in front of the TV and go back to sleep. This time turn your head to the right so you even out the drool marks on your shirt!

That ^ is probably worth 2 to 3 more visits to the therapist!
Sorry, I missed that Tim. I was watching reruns of ER .....

Quick Reply: Can I get some help please?