Sponsored by:

Recommendation for service location in NC

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 09:51 AM
smithk993
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommendation for service location in NC

I'm located in W-S, NC and would like to get some feedback on options for where to have any needed service work done on my 02 C4S. I've got a few months left under CPO, so initially I'll be using dealers. After that, I would welcome comments on independents in the area.

I believe the three closest dealer's to me are:
- Foreign Cars, Greensboro
- Hendrick, Charlotte
- Hickory Auto Group, Hickory

I'l be doing most of the basic maintenance items like pads, fluids but if and when ...

Feel free to email/PM your thoughts both good and nont so good. Thanks.

Keith
Old 10-09-2007, 10:44 AM
Patrick E
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 35 Posts

Eurowerks in Charlotte (actually Matthews) is very good, but might be a little too long of a trip for you for service. Contact either Jim or Gerald there.

Last edited by Patrick E; 10-09-2007 at 12:12 PM.
Old 10-09-2007, 10:46 AM
smithk993
Racer

Yes I had heard there name before. They might be a candidate if I had any major work, clutch, etc. Thanks.
Old 10-09-2007, 11:12 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Foreign Cars in Greensboro would be half the distance from W-S (about 30 -35 minutes) than the other two, which would both be 1.0 to 1.5 hour drive. I don't have any personal experiences with Foreign Cars though.
Old 10-09-2007, 01:43 PM
pat056
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Eurowerks is good. Jim Burton's the owner and an excellent mechanic. I trust him with my 964 race car and my 996 DD. He worked about 15+ years at Hendrick. Contact Gerald at 704-821-3061. I'm a finiky Porsche owner and I've always felt Jim gave me the straight shot.

Also Speedwerks in Thomasville. I've heard good about them. I think they're mainly a race shop but I could be wrong.
Old 10-10-2007, 01:02 AM
othomasjr
Racer

Default Price

I'm in SC and curious about Eurowerks. Any ideas on what he charges?
Old 10-10-2007, 04:35 PM
pat056
Rennlist Member

othomasj
What kind of work you needing done?
As a general rule, I'd say he's not the cheapest, but I've had cars there many, many times and the work has always been done correctly. I've never taken something back for it not being fixed correctly.
Where in SC are you? If it's near Columbia, I'd recommend Doc's garage. He did the clutch in my 964 race car 3 years ago and it's still fine.
Old 10-10-2007, 07:22 PM
othomasjr
Racer

Thanks for the info Pat. Yeah, my uncle told me about Doc's. I just purchased my car and it was serviced in the past at "The 911 Shop" in Charlotte. I just had the 60,000 service done at the Porsche dealership in Fayetteville. They have pick-up and delivery for a great price ($86 round trip). Plus, there price was about the same as Doc's. My need is to be at work and not on the road taking my car for service and consequently picking it up.
I priced several places....Cola. P dealer, Charlotte P dealer, Doc's, 911 shop, and P dealer in Fayetteville, NC. The Charlotte P dealer was the most expensive and I think The 911 Shop was the most reasonable. I've heard good things about The 911 Shop and Doc's. I think I will probably go with an indy if at all possible, but that pick-up/delivery is a money saver.
One thing that I've learned is the P dealers WILL NEGOTIATE. The Charotte dealer wanted $500 more than Fayetteville....for the exact same service. You have to inquire, not just set up an appointment.
I am located in Cheraw, SC.
Old 10-10-2007, 07:25 PM
othomasjr
Racer

Pat. For instance, what is a fair price for an oil change assuming the shop is supplying the oil, filter, etc?
What would Doc's charge?
What would Eurowerks charge?

Thanks!
Orrin
Old 10-11-2007, 03:30 PM
pat056
Rennlist Member

Orrin
Cheraw!!! I just moved to Rock Hill from Cheraw! I lived there for 16 years...Bridlewood, Country Club Acres, then Huckleberry Park. I was GM at the now bankrupt Delta Mills.Where are you in Cheraw??
As far as oil changes, I always did my on. There's tons of DYI stuff here and the more I can do, the less time I spend at the shop. Oil change on the 996 is very easy, compared to my 964, takes less than 30 minutes. For that kind of work, I'd go to the closest. You can ask for pricing. I found Eurowerks about 15 minutes closer to Cheraw than Doc's. Eurowerks(Jim) is on the Monroe side of Charlotte whereas Docs (George and Les) is all the way through Columbia.
Whichever you use, tell them you know Pat and their quaranteed to overcharge you lol!
Seriously though. If you decide to do some DIY stuff, pm me and I'll give you my number. Glad to help a fellow Rennlister.
You doing any DE's or races? How long you had the 996?

Quick Reply: Recommendation for service location in NC