Sponsored by:

New Owner '01 996 C2 Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 11:31 AM
salayc
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default New Owner '01 996 C2 Questions

My '01 black on black 996 C2 finally has arrived safely after the dealer not wanting to release it, and the shipper dropping it off in Watts where I had to go pick it up.
So, I have spent the last three days detailing and fixing minor issues. The panels are straight and clean but the paint was in horrible condition, doesn't anyone know how to take care of paint? The center console hinge was broken so I fit the retrofit hinge. The guages have some sort of detailing spray that has permanently marred them. Only polishing the plastic has worked and they are still not great.
After checking out the cabin, air, and oil filters and looking at the spark plugs, the car had just been serviced with what looks like virtually no mileage after the service.

A few questions:
1. The rear hatch doesn't stay open, it has just one strut but two mounting positions, is that correct?
2. Has anyone touched up or refinished the Porsche soft-touch interior paint? The console is in average shape and the minor scratches drive me nuts. (My detail included shaving the edges of the seat belts so there are no loose hairs if that's any indication about the **** level of detail going into this.)
3. Any tips on cleaning and removing rust from the underside?
4. Where to start with the mods? The car is completely stock (I did fit smoke marker lights.)

And yes, when my new polishing pads arrive from Detailers Domain and the detail is finished, I will post pics.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:38 AM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

Welcome to Renn
1. 1 strut, yes
2. from what I understand it is a dye and not paint. Shaved seat belts... yeah you're ****
3. Rust?, I believe you should be under warranty
4. I started with the suspension (pss9) and new tires.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:51 AM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Welcome!

If the car is rusty, with bad paint, I hope you got a great deal on it !
Old 10-08-2007, 11:53 AM
salayc
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=redridge;4652140]Welcome to Renn
2. from what I understand it is a dye and not paint.

Thanks for the reply,
I think it is something like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Alsa-...spagenameZWD1V

According to Porsche, interior parts are painted in "soft-touch paint"
Old 10-08-2007, 11:59 AM
salayc
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AndyK
Welcome!

If the car is rusty, with bad paint, I hope you got a great deal on it !
Rusty with bad paint is a bit of an overstatement. There is surface rust on many undercarraige parts but it is normal, I just want to get rid of it. The main paint problem is imbedded pollen which is common. I call it in bad condition and a lot of good detailers might, most people would call the car near mint and never look under or notice the pollen.
Oh, and I got a good deal.
Old 10-08-2007, 12:06 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by salayc
Rusty with bad paint is a bit of an overstatement. There is surface rust on many undercarraige parts but it is normal, I just want to get rid of it. The main paint problem is imbedded pollen which is common. I call it in bad condition and a lot of good detailers might, most people would call the car near mint and never look under or notice the pollen.
Oh, and I got a good deal.
Ah, good! So it's really in great shape, but needs a little TLC to get it into super shape. Much better.

I've had great results using P21s metal Finish Restorer on metal parts. Cleaned my filthy exhaust tips right up!
Old 10-08-2007, 12:08 PM
michael.s.under
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats and welcome, lets see some pics of the car. Sounds like it went to a good owner, not sure about the paint because I havent had to address that issue yet!

Quick Reply: New Owner '01 996 C2 Questions