996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Hardtop Install. What's Needed???

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 05:36 PM
russcan
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hardtop Install. What's Needed???

Hello, I have found a hardtop for my car, but the seller does not have the tools or other parts needed for a install. Can you please tell me exactly what I will need for the complete install and where I can get the parts and tools other than the steelership if possible?

Many Thanks, Russ
Old 10-05-2007, 06:11 PM
Cool996
Advanced

all you need is 2 people to put it on, and then there is that tool big allen wrench to secure the back parts. I think I may have an extra one if you need it. Should have the process in the instruction manuel also.
Old 10-05-2007, 06:13 PM
Botsy67
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Russ, you do need an Allen wrench style tool to lock down the hardtop to the car body, but if you do a quick "Search" you will see that others have used an ordinary Allen wrench (don't remember the correct size) to do the same job. The hardtop should also come with a plastic cover covering the front hinch when the hardtop is on, if not you will see the exposed attachment hook from the car to the hardtop. That's all, I think... Good luck.
Old 10-05-2007, 07:39 PM
Orient Express
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 11 Posts
Default You have probably already done this but:

1. Make sure that your car has the hardtop locks installed on the roll bar assembly. 03 and later cars did not have them installed unless the car was ordered from the factory with a hardtop.

2. If you do have the locks installed, make sure they are the same type as on the hardtop. There was a production change on the attachment hardware in the mid-04 time frame. Early cars have a twist-pin arrangement, and later cars had a screw/breechlock mechanism.

Both use a similar hex head wrench, but the early ones have a red handle and the newer ones have a black handle. The new locks keep the top from rattling around, and are available as a retrofit kit.

Here is a more detailed description of the different types of locks.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-05-2007, 07:41 PM
pszikla
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Russcan, the hardtop is very well made, only weighs 71 Lbs !!
As long as the gaskets are all in good condition, the seal is perfect and the car will seem quieter also.
I did not have the original allen key tool when I bought the car, but although I can't remember the size, it isn't anything special and yuo'll find a suitable one at most hardware stores.

It only takes a quarter turn to lock and make sure the indicated marks line up to "locked" position.

You absolutely need 2 people to install/remove and when installing, insert the front first and lower the rear pegs on the hardtop into the 2 holes slowly to be sure that you are lining up(remove the plastic caps that cover the holes first!!)
Old 10-25-2007, 06:52 AM
OZ996
Advanced

I just picked up a hardtop (garage sale) but the rear window seal is loose on one side and it rattles. How is the glasss secured in the hardtop frame? is it just held in with the H seal or is there attach hardware underneath the seal somewhere that has come loose?
Old 10-25-2007, 07:34 AM
MikeZ
Instructor

There is also a plastic cover that goes over the front manual latching mechanism after the top is on. I bought a hoist to store the top over my car this spring. I have hopes that I can reattach it without needing another person.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:06 AM
apterr
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Russ,
I was going to reply but it seems that the case is solved. I do have a question for you. How did you resize your picture for your avatar? I have a few nice pics but cannot get them to the size required. Your's looks awesome. thanks,
Andy T
Old 10-25-2007, 10:22 AM
smackboy1
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

My $0.02. You don't need to order the special tool. IIRC it's around $20. Just use an allen/hex wrench. The only difference is that the special tool has a flat plastic end to aid in prying off the plastic cover. A screwdriver or butter knife works just as well.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:53 PM
pkm2005
3rd Gear

Default Please help!!

Originally Posted by Orient Express
1. Make sure that your car has the hardtop locks installed on the roll bar assembly. 03 and later cars did not have them installed unless the car was ordered from the factory with a hardtop.

2. If you do have the locks installed, make sure they are the same type as on the hardtop. There was a production change on the attachment hardware in the mid-04 time frame. Early cars have a twist-pin arrangement, and later cars had a screw/breechlock mechanism.

Both use a similar hex head wrench, but the early ones have a red handle and the newer ones have a black handle. The new locks keep the top from rattling around, and are available as a retrofit kit.

Here is a more detailed description of the different types of locks.

Hope this helps.
I have an 04 996 TT Cab and just bought a hardtop from Craigslist but have not received it. I could not open the link above and do not know if I need to buy additional parts for the top to lock properly? I purchased the allen wrench tool online and thought I was done.

Please help!!

Here is a picture of the pins below my top.
Attached Images  
Old 11-29-2007, 01:29 AM
Orient Express
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 11 Posts

Sent you an email with the gory details. Sorry, I did not realize that you had to be a member of RennTech.org (a good idea to do, I might say.) to see the TSB on hardtops. Here is a picture of the different types of hardtop receivers that will need to be installed on your car. The one on the left is the new type and the other is the old type.

Quick Reply: Hardtop Install. What's Needed???