Sponsored by:

Another Muffler Bypass thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2007 | 07:22 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by penguinking
he did answer your question.

practically, i havn't seen that done because if you're gonna remove the cats then you're probably in a position where you dont care to have the mufflers on either. at this point you'd just be experimenting to see what makes a less loud of a noise.
Right.

2 other points:
1) I believe if you remove the cats and try to keep the mufflers, you won't have enough pipe to connect the mufflers to the exhaust manifold.

2) And even if you could, removing Cats and not mufflers will most likely cause a CEL.

-td
Old 10-04-2007 | 07:23 PM
JC3D
Pro

This wasn't something in my plans for the near future, I was just wondering how it would affect the sound. Thanks for the explanation.
Old 10-05-2007 | 12:39 AM
LowStro9
Instructor

Your Dyno #'s on removing cans and going to bypass pipes were 39 lbs of torque loss for me on the dyno. Did the run at JT Motorsports but did they did not have a cartidge in the printer and I was too lazy to care enough about waiting for a printout. The loss levels out around 5K and after that, it is not an issue.

For me personally, I knew the very second it drove the car. My setup is radically different than most with my supercharger and intake system. I run a different throttle body and pull just over 400rwhp. I think the n/a engines don't loose near as much as my setup. I will tell you that I absolutley loved the sound and do miss it but the power loss for me was too substantial.
Old 10-05-2007 | 03:40 AM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

i ran the pep boys pipes at my last track event to see if i liked them. amazing sound. i didn't notice any decrease in Tq but it seemed the engine was breathing a lot better on the high end. there are only a couple of places on the track where i dip below 4000 rpm so i don't mind any Tq loss if there is any.
my main goal was to get rid of the 60 lbs in the rear which IS noticeable. the rear end pendulum affect is much less. feel great in quick transitions, in the essess.
i am going to change out the pep boys pipes for nicer looking pipes. some guy on ebay sells some that are cheaper than fabspeed.
Old 10-05-2007 | 09:05 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Originally Posted by LowStro9
. The loss levels out around 5K and after that, it is not an issue.
Thank you...this is EXACTLY what I was looking for.
Old 10-05-2007 | 10:22 AM
penguinking
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by karlooz
i ran the pep boys pipes at my last track event to see if i liked them. amazing sound. i didn't notice any decrease in Tq but it seemed the engine was breathing a lot better on the high end. there are only a couple of places on the track where i dip below 4000 rpm so i don't mind any Tq loss if there is any.
my main goal was to get rid of the 60 lbs in the rear which IS noticeable. the rear end pendulum affect is much less. feel great in quick transitions, in the essess.
i am going to change out the pep boys pipes for nicer looking pipes. some guy on ebay sells some that are cheaper than fabspeed.
NO.

keep the pep boys pipes and run with me! that way i won't get made fun of as much. or i'd have someone to share the laughs with. in all honesty a lot of people get a kick out of seeing the nice carrera with pepboys pipes coming out the back.

link to fabspeed knockoffs?
Old 10-05-2007 | 10:27 AM
Tippy
Race Car

If you are on a track, why not just leave the mufflers off without any tips? You will definitely hear the motor.

Losing the cats but keeping the mufflers will probably be pretty loud as most other cars are I have been around get substantially louder doing this.

How about just open headers?
Old 10-05-2007 | 12:25 PM
penguinking
Burning Brakes

um. if you remove the mufflers but dont add the angled tip then the exhaust blows right into the rear bumper into the space where the muffler was removed. you need hte 90 degree angle to point the exhaust rearward.
Old 10-05-2007 | 12:43 PM
Tippy
Race Car

um. if you remove the mufflers but dont add the angled tip then the exhaust blows right into the rear bumper into the space where the muffler was removed. you need hte 90 degree angle to point the exhaust rearward.
Why?
Old 10-05-2007 | 12:45 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

NO.
keep the pep boys pipes and run with me! that way i won't get made fun of as much. or i'd have someone to share the laughs with. in all honesty a lot of people get a kick out of seeing the nice carrera with pepboys pipes coming out the back.
link to fabspeed knockoffs?

nah, they just a little too ghetto for me . also the diameter of the pipes pep pipes is 2" but the diameter of the exhaust clamp is 55mm so they fit kinda loose. i used safety wire to hold it on. glad i did because they may have gone flying.

MUFFLER BYPASS ON EBAY. there's a fabspeed brand set on fleabay right now.
Old 10-15-2007 | 03:09 PM
penguinking
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Tippy
Why?
i don't understand, are you asking why the exhaust blows into the rear bumper? if so, look underneath the car and look for yourself. after you remove the mufflers the pipes point into the rear bumper.
Old 10-15-2007 | 04:33 PM
Tippy
Race Car

i don't understand, are you asking why the exhaust blows into the rear bumper? if so, look underneath the car and look for yourself. after you remove the mufflers the pipes point into the rear bumper.
I was just asking why do you HAVE to point it to the rear, track regulations?

I drove mine for a day without any tips, just open cat pipes. You can really hear the motor for sure. I was just telling the OP to simply remove the cans and drive around, he would get a sense of the torque loss right away without spending a dime, just 15-20 minutes of work.
Old 10-15-2007 | 04:50 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

I drove mine for a day without any tips, just open cat pipes. You can really hear the motor for sure. I was just telling the OP to simply remove the cans and drive around
I would be very nervous with the exhaust super-heating everything under the rear bumper. Metal expansion, plastic melting, brakes and tires heating all come to mind.

Besides, if you take the time to remove the mufflers, adding a piece of 90º pipe takes all of 1 minute...

-td
Old 10-15-2007 | 05:05 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Originally Posted by td873
I would be very nervous with the exhaust super-heating everything under the rear bumper. Metal expansion, plastic melting, brakes and tires heating all come to mind.

Besides, if you take the time to remove the mufflers, adding a piece of 90º pipe takes all of 1 minute...

-td
td- You wont hurt anything, the entire bumper is lined with a heatshield. Like I said, I was just telling the OP to remove the cans and take it for a spin, he would know right away the difference.
Old 10-15-2007 | 05:06 PM
penguinking
Burning Brakes

I drove mine for a day without any tips, just open cat pipes. You can really hear the motor for sure. I was just telling the OP to simply remove the cans and drive around, he would get a sense of the torque loss right away without spending a dime, just 15-20 minutes of work.
no, i dont think theres anyone telling you that your exhaust must point rearward. but anyone with half a brain would quickly figure out that your exhaust needs some fixin' if it blows out sideways

Quick Reply: Another Muffler Bypass thread