996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

How reliable the 3.4L compares to 3.6L?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 03:04 PM
pl
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

when the new M3 comes out, the price is about the same as a 996 TT/GT3, that should be a easy call.
unless you do need the back seats on M3.

Originally Posted by njim3
After reading all of your inputs, i decide to sell my 99 996 and save more money for the new M3. The 996 has very good image to alot of people but the interior looks really cheap like toyota. I owned both 944T and 996 for awhile but the 944T was a well build car, eveything looks and feel solid and it is still faster then my 996. Thank you all of you and enjoy your P car.
I relized that the 3.4L, 3.6L. M3 etc... has it own fans does not matter it has issue or not.

Jim
Old 09-28-2007, 03:54 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just wanted to sell my 99 to get 02 but i'm not sure is the 3.6L still having engine failure as the 3.4L or not. Please post your opinions.

Thanks,
Jim
check my sig.
Old 09-28-2007, 04:31 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

After reading all of your inputs, i decide to sell my 99 996 and save more money for the new M3. The 996 has very good image to alot of people but the interior looks really cheap like toyota. I owned both 944T and 996 for awhile but the 944T was a well build car, eveything looks and feel solid and it is still faster then my 996. Thank you all of you and enjoy your P car.
I relized that the 3.4L, 3.6L. M3 etc... has it own fans does not matter it has issue or not.

Jim
I'm glad you came to a decision. It's not a bad one at all.
Old 09-28-2007, 04:43 PM
UCrazyKid
Pro

Thank you for your inputs. I could afford a car but i could not afford a new engine. I've owned many BMWs in the past and all of them did not give much issues and fear as 996. I found a good 02 coupe and i'm debating myself to go for it or go for an E46 M3.
E46 M3's have had their share of engine failures too.
Old 09-28-2007, 04:44 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Ben - you claim us 3.4 guys are cheerleaders, look in the mirror buddy. You treat the S54 like it is the best motor ever produced. You are the cheerleader for BMW and I think you should sell the C4S and buy another M3. Then you wont be getting into arguments or debates with this board. I dont know about you, but I dont like conflict, especially on a board than can help me out with things I do not know. Rod bearing failure in the S54 was real causing more damage than the many, and I mean many, 996 motors that were replaced to a RMS issue.
Old 09-28-2007, 05:01 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Originally Posted by Tippy
Ben - you claim us 3.4 guys are cheerleaders, look in the mirror buddy. You treat the S54 like it is the best motor ever produced. You are the cheerleader for BMW and I think you should sell the C4S and buy another M3. Then you wont be getting into arguments or debates with this board. I dont know about you, but I dont like conflict, especially on a board than can help me out with things I do not know. Rod bearing failure in the S54 was real causing more damage than the many, and I mean many, 996 motors that were replaced to a RMS issue.
Rod bearing failure was covered by a 100K factory-backed warranty. Even if your car was OK, you brought your M3 in and it was covered. It was absolutely quelched by 2003.5s. It's not even a concern anymore.

And about me being a cheerleader for the S54. I don't have to be because industry experts who live and breathe engines absolutely love the S54. Period. Next.

And what's with this whole play in your own sandbox attitude, bud? Get over it. You can recognize each car for its strengths and weaknesses and the 911 has its own unique set just as the M3 or the CLK AMG or the Ferrari 360, blah blah blah blah blah.

Talk about tying your fuqin ego to your car. But then that's why I am here and paid my due. I get entertained by you guys and I hope it's reciprocal.
Old 09-28-2007, 05:05 PM
Tippy
Race Car

You have bad mouthed the 996, I have never heard you bad mouth the M.
Old 09-28-2007, 05:22 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
Rod bearing failure was covered by a 100K factory-backed warranty. Even if your car was OK, you brought your M3 in and it was covered. It was absolutely quelched by 2003.5s. It's not even a concern anymore.

And about me being a cheerleader for the S54. I don't have to be because industry experts who live and breathe engines absolutely love the S54. Period. Next.

And what's with this whole play in your own sandbox attitude, bud? Get over it. You can recognize each car for its strengths and weaknesses and the 911 has its own unique set just as the M3 or the CLK AMG or the Ferrari 360, blah blah blah blah blah.

Talk about tying your fuqin ego to your car. But then that's why I am here and paid my due. I get entertained by you guys and I hope it's reciprocal.
It's just unproductive, Ben. At this level, a car is much more about what you like than what's objectively better (Awards? Puh-lease...). Therefore, anybody who repeatedly asserts that they prefer another make over the one to which this board is dedicated is little better than a troll. After 3 BMWs, I'm here, driving my plain jane nothing special 996 C2. To ME, by MY subjective standards, in the context of MY expectations of a car, the 996 is "better". That means I'm on the right forum. You, I'm not so sure.
Old 09-28-2007, 05:37 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Originally Posted by BruceP
It's just unproductive, Ben. At this level, a car is much more about what you like than what's objectively better (Awards? Puh-lease...). Therefore, anybody who repeatedly asserts that they prefer another make over the one to which this board is dedicated is little better than a troll. After 3 BMWs, I'm here, driving my plain jane nothing special 996 C2. To ME, by MY subjective standards, in the context of MY expectations of a car, the 996 is "better". That means I'm on the right forum. You, I'm not so sure.
get with the times sir bruce. i have every right to be here as you do regardless of whether i own a bmw, a kia, a boxster or 911 just as you have a right to have your preferences and express them. you have absolutely no control over what i choose to express about this car or that car and calling me a "troll" doesn't hurt my feelings or make me want to take back anything i've said about the 911.

i've said time and again the differences between the M3 and the 911 given that i've put many miles on both cars. the 911 is in the garage today and it replaced the M3.

you're seriously sounding like a staid old man now.
Old 09-28-2007, 05:38 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

You have bad mouthed the 996, I have never heard you bad mouth the M.
Perhaps in this case my wallet speaks louder than my words, dear friend.
Old 09-28-2007, 05:43 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

get with the times sir bruce. i have every right to be here as you do regardless of whether i own a bmw, a kia, a boxster or 911. you're seriously sounding like a staid old man now.
Not arguing your right to be here. Just wondering what the point is.
Old 09-28-2007, 05:46 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Perhaps in this case my wallet speaks louder than my words, dear friend.

But the almighty Ferrari is ok to grenade. I bet the motor cost more than your car does. Never heard bad mouthing against Ferrari? The money is unjustifiable.
Old 09-28-2007, 05:49 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Originally Posted by BruceP
Not arguing your right to be here. Just wondering what the point is.
what is the point to anything?
Old 09-28-2007, 05:50 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

But the almighty Ferrari is ok to grenade. I bet the motor cost more than your car does. Never heard bad mouthing against Ferrari? The money is unjustifiable.
I don't own a Ferrari?
Old 09-28-2007, 06:00 PM
michael.s.under
Three Wheelin'

Quick Reply: How reliable the 3.4L compares to 3.6L?