996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

My Newest Crispy Critter Project

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 08:03 PM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

Joe, I'm lucky that Silver Star Recycling has a 99 996 right now. I have bought several cars from them (4) and a ton of parts. They have always treated me well. I will splice the wires at the firewall rather than replacing them to the headlights. The damage did not go through the firewall. My wife is an angel...it also doesn't hurt that one of the 3 project cars I just bought is an 05 Range Rover for her. Thanks.
Michael, thanks. A Porsche is a terrible thing to waste.
Carlo$, thanks....my money was on the stereo also, but Chuck said it is factory and the wires were not tampered with. I'm 50/50 between the stereo and climate control.
galeriehughie, I would probably be smarter if I was doing it to make a buck....I can't bear to part with them. It's would be like selling a child (not that I have ever sold one of my children...I would have to pay someone to take one of the little darlings). The smell was never an isssue with my other burn victim. This one was more confined and it stinks pretty bad. I plan on replacing the front carpet & upgrading to a new style headliner. I think that once I remove all the burnt parts, the smell will be gone. The seats are fine. The sunroof was open, so the smoke escaped out the top.
chsu74, I would enjoy having you for a neighbor. I'll take lots of pictures when I get the dash apart.
riad, I've been a patrol Deputy for 23 years and a K-9 handler for about 12....I think my sniffer got burnt out a long time ago...it won't be a problem for me either way.
Tippy, insurance isn't a problem...financing is. Cash or a credit card are the only two options that I have used. Check out the IAAI website (insurance auto auctions). There is a nice turbo with front and rear bumper damage. Click on the picture of the Hummer and then "High End Cars" to view a sample of the listings.
Tippy & riad, you guys are probably both right about the Febreze.
DFC, Thanks.
Stefan, it's not bravery...it's a serious lack of common sense. The black car in my avitar helped with securing my wife's permission for future projects (bribery).Thanks.
Mother. I think your project is seriously cool. Try Ryan at Silver Star. The car that I'm getting parts off is a silver 99 996 with a black interior. On ebay, the seller "strictly-german-ga" is parting out a black interior from a 99 996. PM me if you need any help locating parts.

Thanks for all the kind words guys, I really appreciate it.
Old 09-27-2007, 08:09 PM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Scott, thanks for the offer...I appreciate it. It looks like you and I both need an airbag for the 3 spoke steering wheel. I'll let you know if I find any good deals. I'm going to look at non-airbag steering wheels since this is going to be my track toy. Do any of you track junkies know about going to a Momo style wheel?
Old 09-27-2007, 11:16 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mfletch
Joe, I'm lucky that Silver Star Recycling has a 99 996 right now. I have bought several cars from them (4) and a ton of parts. They have always treated me well. I will splice the wires at the firewall rather than replacing them to the headlights. The damage did not go through the firewall. My wife is an angel...it also doesn't hurt that one of the 3 project cars I just bought is an 05 Range Rover for her. Thanks.
Michael, thanks. A Porsche is a terrible thing to waste.
Carlo$, thanks....my money was on the stereo also, but Chuck said it is factory and the wires were not tampered with. I'm 50/50 between the stereo and climate control.
galeriehughie, I would probably be smarter if I was doing it to make a buck....I can't bear to part with them. It's would be like selling a child (not that I have ever sold one of my children...I would have to pay someone to take one of the little darlings). The smell was never an isssue with my other burn victim. This one was more confined and it stinks pretty bad. I plan on replacing the front carpet & upgrading to a new style headliner. I think that once I remove all the burnt parts, the smell will be gone. The seats are fine. The sunroof was open, so the smoke escaped out the top.
chsu74, I would enjoy having you for a neighbor. I'll take lots of pictures when I get the dash apart.
riad, I've been a patrol Deputy for 23 years and a K-9 handler for about 12....I think my sniffer got burnt out a long time ago...it won't be a problem for me either way.
Tippy, insurance isn't a problem...financing is. Cash or a credit card are the only two options that I have used. Check out the IAAI website (insurance auto auctions). There is a nice turbo with front and rear bumper damage. Click on the picture of the Hummer and then "High End Cars" to view a sample of the listings.
Tippy & riad, you guys are probably both right about the Febreze.
DFC, Thanks.
Stefan, it's not bravery...it's a serious lack of common sense. The black car in my avitar helped with securing my wife's permission for future projects (bribery).Thanks.
Mother. I think your project is seriously cool. Try Ryan at Silver Star. The car that I'm getting parts off is a silver 99 996 with a black interior. On ebay, the seller "strictly-german-ga" is parting out a black interior from a 99 996. PM me if you need any help locating parts.

Thanks for all the kind words guys, I really appreciate it.
And I would like to thank my parents, my wonderful children, manager, and Rennlist for being there for me.......haha. Sounds like an awards show.
Old 09-28-2007, 01:26 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mark: that stereo in the car was a stock CDR220....not an aftermarket stereo. I bought it from Becker when the buttons on the original unit peeled like they do so often...so the fire could have started there by a fluke....or like you said, in the climate control module. There was no aftermarket stuff in tlhe dash at all.

My new 996TT X50 gets delivered to the house tomorrow morning at 0900! Can't wait!!

Chuck
Old 09-28-2007, 11:02 AM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck Jones
Mark: that stereo in the car was a stock CDR220....not an aftermarket stereo. I bought it from Becker when the buttons on the original unit peeled like they do so often...so the fire could have started there by a fluke....or like you said, in the climate control module. There was no aftermarket stuff in tlhe dash at all.

My new 996TT X50 gets delivered to the house tomorrow morning at 0900! Can't wait!!

Chuck
Woah, that's an upgrade for ya!!

Congrats.
Old 09-28-2007, 11:04 AM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

riad, I've been a patrol Deputy for 23 years and a K-9 handler for about 12....I think my sniffer got burnt out a long time ago...it won't be a problem for me either way
That's awesome! Now you have to post pics of the dog!

Old 09-28-2007, 01:28 PM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Chuck, I want a ride in your new toy. Congratulations.
riad, happy to oblige.
Attached Images   
Old 09-28-2007, 02:13 PM
michael.s.under
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chuck post up a thread of the TT pics, sorry to highjack Mfletch but I thought it was somehow related!
Old 09-28-2007, 02:22 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Looks like an awesome dog!
Old 09-28-2007, 02:28 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

chuck... you leavin us? dont forget to say hi to the peasants once in awhile... Turbo x50, ??? I hear these arent as friendly to mod than a regular tt. Better for your pocket anyway... enjoy and keep us posted!

Mfletch... now that looks like a good man's best friend!
Old 09-28-2007, 06:40 PM
michael.s.under
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a neighbor who is on k9 unit and those dogs are absolutely incredible. The obedience and pure intimidation factor while being incredibly docile until given "the order" leaves me speachless!
Old 09-29-2007, 02:33 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mark's dog Quinto is a really cool dog.....until Mark puts him on alert. Quinto has a little rug in the house and when he comes in, he knows exactly where he's supposed to go. I like Quinto better than I like Mark....but I have to be nice to Mark when I visit.... because one command from Mark and...........

Besides....I go to Mark's house to visit my car.....since he bought the crispy critter, he's given me reasnable visitation rights..

Chuck

Quick Reply: My Newest Crispy Critter Project