996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Center Console

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 09:43 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

FYI....you need to remove the entire rear center console to replace the hinge. It's impossible to do in a CAB. Their might be a little space to work with in a coupe' but I can't speak for that. Regardless, to do it properly you need to remove it.

Here is the DIY for the replacement.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Oddments Tray Cover.pdf (43.1 KB, 685 views)
Old 09-29-2007, 10:11 AM
JonesnSince78
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FWIW, I was able to install the repair kit in my 99 C2 Cab quite easily without removing the console.
Old 09-29-2007, 10:16 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

That doesn't help anybody without an explanation.

I'd be curious to know how you got the brackets into the rear opening and kept them square to rivet since the rear center console sits flush against the rear tunnel.
Old 09-29-2007, 10:26 AM
JonesnSince78
Advanced

Well... I first placed a fresh painter's canvas drop cloth across the back seats and tunnel and pulled it down into the seam between the console and the tunnel (so as protect the material and catch drilling swarf). I then removed the cover per the TSB and carefully sawed the remnants of the plastic hinge with a dozuki. I installed the little metal U-brackets with curved-tip needle-nosed pliers. This was aided by first sliding a metal putty knife down into the seam between the console and the tunnel so as to depress the carpeting on the tunnel. This created ample space to slide the brackets in. I then doubled over a plastic zip tie and temporarily slide that into the recess of the U-bracket. This served to press and hold the bracket in position while I drilled the hole for the pop rivet. Pulled the zip tie back out and the rest is per the TSB.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:20 AM
pat056
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thx. JS78. This will be my w/e project!
Old 10-01-2007, 11:23 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by JonesnSince78
Well... I first placed a fresh painter's canvas drop cloth across the back seats and tunnel and pulled it down into the seam between the console and the tunnel (so as protect the material and catch drilling swarf). I then removed the cover per the TSB and carefully sawed the remnants of the plastic hinge with a dozuki. I installed the little metal U-brackets with curved-tip needle-nosed pliers. This was aided by first sliding a metal putty knife down into the seam between the console and the tunnel so as to depress the carpeting on the tunnel. This created ample space to slide the brackets in. I then doubled over a plastic zip tie and temporarily slide that into the recess of the U-bracket. This served to press and hold the bracket in position while I drilled the hole for the pop rivet. Pulled the zip tie back out and the rest is per the TSB.
Damn! That's more work than doing it the proper way. I bet the farm that removing the console, installing the hinge, and reinstall of the console is faster (and less frustrating) than your way.
Old 10-01-2007, 04:51 PM
pat056
Rennlist Member

LVDell
Ordered today from Hendrick. They're mailing to my door in RH for delivery tomorrow, all fo $30. Can't be that for an hour of sweating
Eric, thx for the name and number.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:26 PM
JonesnSince78
Advanced

Originally Posted by LVDell
Damn! That's more work than doing it the proper way. I bet the farm that removing the console, installing the hinge, and reinstall of the console is faster (and less frustrating) than your way.
Seriously doubt it. I'm certain I was done and cleaned up before your console was even out of the car. If it's the 'proper way' why doesn't the TSB call for it?

So how many acres on your little farm I'm getting?
Old 10-02-2007, 07:35 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

My farm is less than an acre so not much

Removal of the center console takes LESS than 5 minutes. So you are saying that your "prep" and "clean up" were both sub-5 minutes?
Old 10-08-2007, 09:48 AM
pat056
Rennlist Member

Got er done!
Completed my console hinge replacement this weekend. Took over an hour, but that's because I kept having to run back into the house to cheer Tennessee as they beat Georgia!
Anyway thanks for all the input. the DYI and pics made this an relatively simple job. I figured it added about 10 hp too

Pat
Old 10-08-2007, 10:53 AM
Seeeu911
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 16 Posts

I had to remove the console, but it was pretty straight forward. Going slow not to add any more scratches, took a hour +
I found that it already had a replacement metal hinge but the rivet was popped out. I used the new clips but some sheet metal screws that went in nice and tight. Its a pleasure to have a smooth lid again !
Old 10-08-2007, 12:16 PM
michael.s.under
Three Wheelin'

Pat, did you get any pics of the job to share! Interested in seeing the actual process after the brief debate, congrats!
Old 10-08-2007, 01:57 PM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I win your farm...are you going to move?? Because if not you can keep the farm and all bets are off...I can't imagine living there with your annoying, commanding, professor, telling everybody what to do YOU.
I bet you can't be like that to your wife!!

I am refering to this

Originally Posted by LVDell
That doesn't help anybody without an explanation.

I'd be curious to know how you got the brackets into the rear opening and kept them square to rivet since the rear center console sits flush against the rear tunnel.
Old 10-08-2007, 02:07 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Nicolaasdb
If I win your farm...are you going to move?? Because if not you can keep the farm and all bets are off...I can't imagine living there with your annoying, commanding, professor, telling everybody what to do YOU.

I am refering to this
Having a bad day, are we?
Old 10-08-2007, 02:14 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Nicolaasdb

I am refering to this
You got all of that from my post? Who pissed in your Cheerios this morning??? Perfect example of why I stand behind my statement earlier this year how the 996 board has gone to **** at times.

I sure hope that was a momentary lapse of judgment on your part b/c up until that post you just made, I thought we were cool. Guess not.

Back to my other subforums.

Quick Reply: Center Console