Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Vesuvio 996 For Sale....Should I return it to Stock?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 10:31 PM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Vesuvio 996 For Sale....Should I return it to Stock?

I never thought that I would consider selling my first Porsche love, but I can't justify having two indetical cars. My project is complete and I think it might be time to move on. I now have another burn victim that I have to bring back to life.
I will be swapping some of my mods off the Vesuvio 996 to the Iris blue 996. The Vesuvio car will have newly chromed turbo twist wheels (identical to those pictured), Mk2 modded mufflers, and Schnell headers. I will sell it for $25,000 firm. It has 54,000 miles. It runs and looks fantastic. It does not have a door ding or rock chip on the entire car. When I rebuilt it at 43,000 miles, I replaced most of the accesories on the engine (water pump, alternator, pulleys, fuel injectors, power steering pump, etc.) It has a tiptronic transmission. It has a slight oil leak from the driver's side of the engine....the dealer said it was not enough of a leak to worry about (it is not rms). The airbag light is on...the seat belt receivers needs to be updated. I just installed new factory rotors and pads. I built the car to keep forever.
The car has a salvage title due to an engine fire. If you do a search here under Mfletch, the post titled "New member with a rebuilt 996" has the entire story with pictures.

Should I put the factory headers & mufflers back on the car and sell it in stock condition? Any advice would be appreciated.
Attached Images            

Last edited by Mfletch; 09-24-2007 at 11:37 PM.
Old 09-23-2007, 10:44 PM
TheSpeedDemon
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

GL with the sale
Old 09-23-2007, 10:55 PM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Thanks, Steven.
Old 09-24-2007, 12:18 AM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

GL Mark, at least your not porscheless and can start another love affair
Old 09-24-2007, 01:51 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know both cars....since Mark and I ran against each other with those two cars....that one picture showing the Vesuvio and the Iris Blue are my old car and Mark's. I have driven Mark's car and it drives flawlessly. He now has mine that caught fire and he's a wizard with bringing them back to life. Someone can pick up a really nice 996 for a great price....granted a salvage title....but a really nice car that I've driven personally and can vouch for it's performance. I have no affiliation other than I sold him my 996 after it caught fire and insurance paid it off.
Old 09-24-2007, 03:16 AM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Redridge, You own my dream car....this puts me one step closer. I couldn't put a S/C on the tiptronic car...the new one I can (if I win the lottery). I can't stand the plastic dashboard on the standard 99 996. Now, I will have the chance to remedy that problem.
Chuck, thanks for the kind words and for selling me your beautiful car. I can't wait for a ride in the turbo.
Old 09-24-2007, 03:56 AM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

+1 for a stand-up guy (we've done business in the past). It pleases me greatly to see someone take an interest to saving these (damaged) cars. GL with the sale, Mark.
Old 09-24-2007, 04:05 AM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Thanks Joe, it was a pleasure doing business with you. I still love the polished wheels...I'm keeping them. It looks like you have done a few mods to your 993. It is a beautiful car.
Old 09-24-2007, 09:28 AM
TRWright
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

. . . Another person vouching for this dude !! You can be assured that if there ARE ANY issues, no matter how minor- mark will disclose them. If I was in the market, I wouldn't hesitate to buy this car sight unseen and have it shipped across the country.

GL with the sale and new project.

If you feel the need to take even more abuse, maybe we can work an insurance buyback deal on my cab !!
Old 09-24-2007, 09:41 AM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Mark - just curious, why couldnt you put a S/C on the Tippy? Power handling?
Old 09-24-2007, 12:41 PM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Ted, I'm really sorry to hear about your car.....I'm glad nobody got hurt. Thanks for vouching for me, I appreciate it. Good luck with your insurance. Hopefully they take care of you and you can upgrade to an even nicer Porsche (like Chuck Jones just did). Thanks for the tempting(not really) offer on the car..... I fear that if I take on any more project cars in the near future, my wife might lose her good natured disposition.
Cory, Alex from Sharkwerks told me that the S/C won't work on a tiptronic car because of the third radiator. The one for the S/C mounts in the same place as the one for the tiptronic.
Old 09-24-2007, 02:03 PM
joes c4 cab
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts

I know you re-build these cars as a hobby, and I hope you don't find me pushy for asking, but can I inquire how much you have invested in this 996 project? I know you have driven the car for a while so it is not like you are trying to fix and flip them for a profit, but I was wondering if it makes sense to try such a project on my own.

Thanks.
Old 09-24-2007, 02:13 PM
pl
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by joes c4 cab
I know you re-build these cars as a hobby, and I hope you don't find me pushy for asking, but can I inquire how much you have invested in this 996 project? I know you have driven the car for a while so it is not like you are trying to fix and flip them for a profit, but I was wondering if it makes sense to try such a project on my own.

Thanks.
this all comes down to how you value your own labor rate.
Old 09-24-2007, 02:27 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Received 746 Likes on 375 Posts

Mark, good luck with the sale. If I didn't already have a 99 tip, I'd definately be knocking down your door...new engine, clean car (salvage or not), for 25k sounds pretty good to me as long as the buyer is planning on keeping it for a while.
Old 09-24-2007, 03:07 PM
michael.s.under
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good luck Mark, I loved watching this car, and your avitar progress!!

Quick Reply: Vesuvio 996 For Sale....Should I return it to Stock?