Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

H&R Springs - Will they damage my 996 C4S???

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 02:24 PM
thorin
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H&R Springs - Will they damage my 996 C4S???

I did the right thing by searching the forums for ways to lower my car but there doesn't seem to be any consensus on what long term impact lowering springs would have on the health of the car.

Personally I don't care about stiffening the car too much, just want the lower center of gravity AND have a sleeker look (guilty as charged). But I don't want negative performance attributes or long term damage. These springs would be $500 solution, or should I really go and spend the $3k for x73/74/pss9?
Old 09-17-2007, 02:33 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

on a C2/C4, sure they will be noticeable premature wear on the shocks.

On the C4S, I am sure there will still be premature wear though I doubt it will be much more then what the standard shocks and springs get.
I've put 48k km on my shocks and they feel the same as before the springs.
Old 09-17-2007, 02:44 PM
hwk72
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've H&R springs with stock shocks on my '00 C2 Cab. It eliminates the wobbly stock suspension feel and lowers the car quite a bit. I like the set-up a lot and although the main concern in terms of handling is that the shocks are to slow in adjusting, I don't really feel that this is an issue.

You won't demage the car. The only potential "demage" is that your stock shocks may wear early due to the higher compression. My decision was based on the fact that my stock shocks had less than 30k miles on them, so they'll probably make another 20k miles (3 years in my case) even under the higher compression.

However, a big part of the cost changing your suspension is the involved labor/time so it might be worth looking into a spring/shock combo. There a cheaper solutions out there than $3k - not even PSS9 costs you $3k in parts (more like $2k).

What I'll do when my stock shocks are done one day is combining the H&R springs with matching Bilstein shocks.
Old 09-17-2007, 06:34 PM
TheSpeedDemon
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well I will speak from experience:

I had the H&R Lowering Springs (Sport) on my 1999 C2 for 3 weeks before I removed them and installed the x74 system. And this is why:

With the springs, the shocks/struts are always in a compressed state. Sure it looked good with the whole car being lowered and having the center of gravity lower for better cornering, which I got, but a situation that I experienced that has been mentioned in other threads about using lowering springs on stock shocks/struts, and that is bouncing/floating at high speeds (aka POGO).

When going any speed over 100 mph the front suspension (primarily noticeable because it is the lightest) would actually depress a little when you hit a bump in the road, but then the shocks/struts would rebound (extend) towards there normal length afterwards and then back to the spring height, this was more than I liked and made the car unstable for a few seconds until the suspension came to rest again. To me this was unsafe and unacceptable especially when it happened during cornering. So I removed them and put in the complete x74 suspension which gave me a spring and shock/strut combination that works.

Now I have heard that you can mate the springs with after-market shocks. I do know people that have just springs on there stock suspension parts knowing that it will wear the shocks/struts faster (because of the extra compression the springs are doing to them). And I understand that these people have no problems with that extra wear and do not have any ride issues. But again with my experience it was too dangerous to use at speed or if I was going to DE/AX the car.

So I suggest you invest in a complete system of springs and shocks/struts and do it all at once.

So this was the fastest I have ever installed a mod on a car and removed it.

It might be a bit different on other models but you will never convince me it is OK to do this to a Porsche again if you plan on driving it fast or on a track which I do.

Last edited by TheSpeedDemon; 09-17-2007 at 07:28 PM.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:14 PM
c4sdriver
Intermediate

I have one year on my H&R's on my C4S and have had no problems. Having said that, when my shocks do get worn out, i will probably go with either X73 or PSS9 at that time.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:27 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TheSpeedDemon
Well I will speak from experience:

I had the H&R Lowering Springs (Sport) on my 1999 C2 for 3 weeks before I removed them and installed the x74 system. And this is why:

With the springs, the shocks/struts are always in a compressed state. Sure it looked good with the whole car being lowered and having the center of gravity lower for better cornering, which I got, but a situation that I experienced that has been mentioned in other threads about using lowering springs on stock shocks/struts, and that is bouncing/floating at high speeds (aka POGO).

When going any speed over 100 mph the front suspension (primarily noticeable because it is the lightest) would actually depress a little when you hit a bump in the road, but then the shocks/struts would rebound (extend) towards there normal length afterwards and then back to the spring height, this was more than I liked and made the car unstable for a few seconds until the suspension came to rest again. To me this was unsafe and unacceptable especially when it happened during cornering. So I removed them and put in the complete x74 suspension which gave me a spring and shock/strut combination that works.

Now I have heard that you can mate the springs with after-market shocks. I do know people that have just springs on there stock suspension parts knowing that it will wear the shocks/struts faster (because of the extra compression the springs are doing to them). And I understand that these people have no problems with that extra wear and do not have any ride issues. But again with my experience it was too dangerous to use at speed or if I was going to DE/AX the car.

So I suggest you invest in a complete system of springs and shocks/struts and do it all at once.

So this was the fastest I have ever installed a mod on a car and removed it.

It might be a bit different on other models but you will never convince me it is OK to do this to a Porsche again if you plan on driving it fast or on a track which I do.
hey bud we need to do drinks and talk shop whenever u get back up to seattle.
The following users liked this post:
Jeffery Chen (01-23-2021)
Old 09-17-2007, 10:30 PM
hwk72
Burning Brakes

... When going any speed over 100 mph the front suspension (primarily noticeable because it is the lightest) would actually depress a little when you hit a bump in the road, but then the shocks/struts would rebound (extend) towards there normal length afterwards and then back to the spring height, this was more than I liked and made the car unstable for a few seconds until the suspension came to rest again. To me this was unsafe and unacceptable especially when it happened during cornering. So I removed them and put in the complete x74 suspension which gave me a spring and shock/strut combination that works.
I've the H&R springs > 1 year and use stock shocks as mentioned earlier. I've not experienced this phenomenon. I've done 7 days DE with this set-up and always hit speeds >100mph. Maybe your stock shocks were already bad.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:50 PM
TheSpeedDemon
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
hey bud we need to do drinks and talk shop whenever u get back up to seattle.
Most definately Ben, I'll keep you posted on when I am planning on being there again, likely mid-October

Originally Posted by hwk72
I've the H&R springs > 1 year and use stock shocks as mentioned earlier. I've not experienced this phenomenon. I've done 7 days DE with this set-up and always hit speeds >100mph. Maybe your stock shocks were already bad.
No my shocks were good with only 30K on them. I had an Indy shop install the springs and I specifically asked to make sure that my shocks/struts were still good or do not proceed. Maybe you just happen to be one of the fortunate ones that has not experienced the issue, or maybe you do and don't know it or have gotten use to it, who knows. But I know several others like myself that have experienced this issue and got rid of the springs shortly afterwards hence my input on this subject. Again it was unsafe for me to drive the car and once I went to the x74 I had no problems at all.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:50 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

I've had lower springs for 3 yrs and there is no problem. You do need to get the shorter bump stops for the fronts though. Porsche ROW part.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:53 PM
TheSpeedDemon
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by okbarnett
I've had lower springs for 3 yrs and there is no problem. You do need to get the shorter bump stops for the fronts though. Porsche ROW part.
Ahhh maybe that's the ticket but nobody knows this unless someone like you mentions it. Still not going to use just springs again
Old 09-18-2007, 03:44 AM
MTB
Racer

Thorin,
If I were you, I will do it right and change to coilover. Are you DIY the spring? If not, it is going to cost you and it will cost the same on labor for changing to coilover. C4S is different from C2, a bit more work in front, drive shaft need to remove from wheel well ......

PSS9 for c4s is around US$1900 from shox.com, very good price. After you paid duty, it is still alot cheap than in canada.

MTB
Old 09-18-2007, 08:55 AM
thorin
Advanced

So if I were to go with the PSS9's, do I select the one for the C4 or the one for the Turbo? I searched several sites (including shox.com) and couldn't find one that specifically referenced the C4S. Do you guys just buy the one for the C4 or the one for the Turbo?
Old 09-18-2007, 09:26 AM
hwk72
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by thorin
So if I were to go with the PSS9's, do I select the one for the C4 or the one for the Turbo? I searched several sites (including shox.com) and couldn't find one that specifically referenced the C4S. Do you guys just buy the one for the C4 or the one for the Turbo?
I'm pretty sure you need the one for the Turbo. The C4S has already out of the box the Turbo suspension as it has almost the same weight. I know that H&R springs are already different for the Coupe and the Cab so weight seems to make a difference when choosing the spring rate and the NB C4 is lighter than the WB C4S. You obviously can not go wrong with the Turbo suspension.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:53 AM
juankimalo
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm sure to install RoW M030 in my C2.
I asked a question about H&R springs, but I'm convinced to get what Porsche engineers designed and tested lots of miles. I proved M030 in a C2 before and after and I love it. I didn't know that H&R works with the standard shocks compressed.

Besides, It's very important a good alingment.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:22 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most definately Ben, I'll keep you posted on when I am planning on being there again, likely mid-October
Just know that I'll be shuffling through Spain/Italy/Greece Oct 6-17 and then gone in LA for my b-day party 19-22nd.

No my shocks were good with only 30K on them. I had an Indy shop install the springs and I specifically asked to make sure that my shocks/struts were still good or do not proceed. Maybe you just happen to be one of the fortunate ones that has not experienced the issue, or maybe you do and don't know it or have gotten use to it, who knows. But I know several others like myself that have experienced this issue and got rid of the springs shortly afterwards hence my input on this subject. Again it was unsafe for me to drive the car and once I went to the x74 I had no problems at all.
x74 or PSS9s --> good to go.

Quick Reply: H&R Springs - Will they damage my 996 C4S???