Sponsored by:

Stripped screws on Roof Transport System

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 06:46 PM
JC3D
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stripped screws on Roof Transport System

Today I attempted to install my Roof Transport System on my 996 so I can get my wheels to the track. Thd kit was missing one of the clips, but that's another issue. The screws that hold in the stock pieces into the roof that fold (step 1) Broke at first turn of the screw driver. What is the best way of getting these screws out?

My event is next weekend and I have to get my wheels there somehow.
Old 09-16-2007, 07:59 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

I would go buy a stripped screw removal tool. It's usually a two step process of drilling out the head and the changing the bit to unscrew the remaining screw.
Old 09-16-2007, 09:23 PM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I went through this headache as well and gave up. Seems that nearly everyone has a problem with them. Best bet has seems is to just take the car to the dealer before you try anything and just get them to do it for $200 or whatever. It will be money well spent in the end as to avoid the aggravation and potential damage to your roof you may do yourself. There seems to be a way to take the screws/unit out from the inside of the car by removing your trim/headliner. See this link.

RTS Topic

BTW: my clips are all missing since my move. If you find out how to replace one let me know. Much appreciated.

-Paul

Last edited by Paul 996; 09-17-2007 at 11:00 AM. Reason: provided link
Old 10-04-2007, 04:57 AM
Keggers
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been facing the same problem, as you will see here...

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index...00&#entry81300

I think I have found the solution though. The base plates that have the screws in them can actually be removed fairly easily by unscrewing a bolt (using an alan key) from underneath the roof (you need to pull the headliner back to access it). I've managed to find a porsche parts supplier who can provide replacement base plates (used - £10 each or new - £25 each), which can them be bolted on as replacements and problem solved.

Mine are in the post now! I have been trying to find a fix for this problem for months so am relieved to have finally found a way around it.

Cheers
Greg
Old 10-04-2007, 01:07 PM
JC3D
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all of the good info. I found out porsche doesn't sell that actual part that I need so I may have to re buy the whole kit.

Did you have a rollbar in when you did this? Is it possible to do with a rollbar in?

Quick Reply: Stripped screws on Roof Transport System