Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

New MKII Muffler Mod Thread...I did it....am I missing something??

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 10:31 PM
JBRipps
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New MKII Muffler Mod Thread...I did it....am I missing something??.UPDATE-BETTER NOW!

Hi,

I know there are a gazillion MKII threads, but I'm starting this one anyway.....

Anyhow, just got my modified cans put in. Here's my analysis. While the car was in the bay...it sounded awesome. I loved it. At idle...sounded almost normal...but when I stepped on the gas....much much more aggressive sounding.

As I drove....I noticed a few things. First...when I slowly accelerate, the exhaust sounds stock. However, if I accelerate a bit more aggresively, it sounds FANTASTIC.....but it seems it only sounds great up to 4K rpm. Then it sounds stock again past 4K.

If I accelerate hard...same thing. Sounds great to 4K...then almost back to stock once it winds past 4K. Is this normal for this mod?

Also...when the car winds down and decellerates....it sounds stock as well.

Am I missing something? I guess I was expecting more. It does sound just gorgeous b/w 2 and 4K rpm.....but is lacking after that. Kinda of anti-climactic. I'm starting this new thread to get some attention and see if my install was wrong.

Any input really appreciated. The welds were great, no pics. though, and there are no indication that there are leaks.

J

Last edited by JBRipps; 09-19-2007 at 11:15 PM. Reason: update
Old 09-11-2007, 10:37 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Who did the mod for you? what size pipe did you use, and did you cut open the cap and outlet tube to at least 2 inches? Did you use the 3.6L mufflers? Usually, they growl upon startup, then quiet down as you sit and idle. If you take off carefully and keep the car under 3500 rpm, you can sneak thru a neighborhood rather quietly....but if you stomp on it, it will light up....and yes, it's most aggressive between 4 and 5 thousand rpm's..... If you go thru a freeway overpass in 5th and stomp on it, you'll definitely get the feedback your'e looking for....but it isn't loud or aggressive all the time. I rather liked that feature in it.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:44 PM
JBRipps
Three Wheelin'

He used 2.25 pipe....I'll ask about cutting the hole at least 2" wide at the welding points. Yes...I do like how it's tame at times....mines just a bit too tame. Maybe I'm used to the Fabspeed on my '85.

J
Old 09-11-2007, 10:57 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

If you're comparing it to your Fabspeed you're putting yourself in a position of being disappointed. I think you'll find as they get older that they get a bit louder....at least mine did...and of course Darin or FisterD did the mods and he's a pro at it.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:09 PM
CosmosC4S
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is exactly how mine are. Definitely a difference in the sound, lower coarser growl compared to OEM.
But, yeah, at times I don't get much of a satisfaction out of it, it doesn't climax.
But then, that's the beauty of it's subtlety, if it's too much, it could become annoying.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:11 PM
JBRipps
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Chuck Jones
If you're comparing it to your Fabspeed you're putting yourself in a position of being disappointed. I think you'll find as they get older that they get a bit louder....at least mine did...
Got better as it got older? How is that? I just want it to be louder when I wind the car out to the red too.

J
Old 09-12-2007, 12:10 AM
ArneeA
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get headers, it'll get louder.
Old 09-12-2007, 01:26 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

"Get louder as it gets older".....is admittedly a bit of a subective comment....but what I noticed is that after several months, it seemed that the tone got a bit deeper...why or how I don't know....but I especially noticed it upon startup....that first growl.....then again at around 4K and up under heavy throttle.
Old 09-12-2007, 02:46 AM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

I would suspect that the holes they cut are not large enough if you loose the aggressive sound at 4K. If you remove the muffler, look into the outlet pipe and see if the whole matches the diameter of the 2.25" mod pipe (very little, or no lip inside.) If the hole is too small, it will not be able to keep up with the back pressure, and send more out the center tube.
Here are some pics....
Notice how large the holes are. Smaller holes will defeat the whole purpose of using a larger pipe.
Attached Images   
Old 09-12-2007, 03:48 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Mark: After all that neat work you did on my mufflers....they're going to salvage with the car....
Old 09-12-2007, 09:14 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Jon - if you have someone else drive the car while you stand near the street, you will really notice the difference in the sound. Too much of the nice growl is lost if you are in the car. Like any car, if you are "cruising" at a constant speed, the exhaust note (loudness) will be minimized compared to when you are accelerating. This is not a bad thing because when cruising, you can still hear yourself think.

It is not really fair to compare this MK II mod to Fabspeed. DIfferent set up completely. Compared to stock, the MK II mod is MUCH better, IMO, but still no drone or resonance when cruising.
Old 09-12-2007, 12:29 PM
JBRipps
Three Wheelin'

hi....i must say when i started up this morning...it sound really sweeeeeeet. I still feel it could be a bit louder, but then I wouldn't be able to use the bluetooth....so I guess I'm all good. I know that when I drive with the Fabspeed....I can't hear a phone at all...even when I hold it to my ear.

This is my daily now, so I think I'm being over eager. I really do love the sound....just thought it would be more aggressive at higher rpm's....maybe it is...who knows. I'll listen up next time my brother goes for a spin.

But that initial starup is fantastic, so I know it's correctly modded.

J
Old 09-12-2007, 12:39 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck Jones
Mark: After all that neat work you did on my mufflers....they're going to salvage with the car....
Who's Mark?
Old 09-12-2007, 01:46 PM
bk12
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know this sounds strange....but I can swear mine got a little louder after a week or so on the car as well. I understand how subjective this is, but it seems like a difference. Anyone think of any way that the exhaust could get louder, or is it all psychoacoustics?
Old 09-19-2007, 11:13 PM
JBRipps
Three Wheelin'

UPDATE....the day after I had my mod done....I left town for almost a week. On tuesday, I started her up.....basically forgot about the mod....was wowwed again.

Then....as I drove off, IT SOUNDED BETTER!!!!! I was floored. And today....I've had the windows down all day long. I absolutely love the sound now....and it's sweet thru high revs now as well.

It is absolutely the strangest thing....but I swear it's sooooo sweet now. THE BEST MOD EVER. When you step on it even a bit....it really sounds fantastic.

Go f'n figure....who knows. My friend who installed it says it needed to be "broken in". Whatever...but it's true. Although....there is something that is smoking when they get real hot.....friend says let it burn off....says it's oils. I'm thinking its the coating of paint on the tubes and welds. Doesn't smell awful, and is getting less and less....so I'm not gonna bug out about it. Will wash them down once I get it on the lift over the weekend.

J

Quick Reply: New MKII Muffler Mod Thread...I did it....am I missing something??