Sponsored by:

painted interior trim...

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 01:21 AM
jmchris01
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default painted interior trim...

I'm considering upgrading my interior trim on my 996. As some of you may have experienced, the OEM "black" trim seems to have a slightly painted film on it to match it to the ALL LEATHER LINING interior (opt code 981). Unfortunately, it is very susceptible to scratches. The slightest scrape and the paint or black film or whatever it is, seems to scratch off, leaving a console that over time looks quite abused. I'm not sure if this problem is limited to vehicles with black interior or if other colors experience the same thing.

According to Eric at Sunset, this is a common problem. Coincidentally the OEM rear center console is available in either the film-painted "black" or the black plastic. Regardless I am considering a Artic Silver replacement rear center console, with matching radio trim and cluster visor.

Is anyone familiar with the packages that are available from "Exotic-Toys" on eBay for under $300, or is it best to stick with Bumper-Plugs or OEM painted/CF??

http://http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-02-04-911-996-Color-matched-console-and-trim_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6755QQihZ004QQitemZ140000289983QQrdZ1QQs spagenameZWD1V

JMC

So much for the Wolverines......oh ya, GO TIGERS!!!
Old 09-11-2007, 03:11 AM
BoulderNick
Three Wheelin'

Location: Boulder, CO : 12 Square miles surrounded by reality.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm curious to hear what you find out .. Been considering the same thing.

- Nick
Old 09-11-2007, 03:20 AM
Rob in WA
Cap'n Insane the Engorged
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Eric at Bumperplugs will get you the best bang for your buck.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:36 AM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Using a convection heater, I heated the parts to a tempurature that was almost too hot to hold, then applied a coat of paint. After I was done with a coat, I would nuke it some more. After 3 coats and heat, the paint became very, very tough and durable.

Of course prior to painting I sanded the parts down to 800 grit sandpaper.

Total cost to do the horseshoe, vents and ashtray surround: $4.00
Old 09-11-2007, 09:44 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Yes, you can save a $100, but is this a quality product? If you have a problem with quality on this product, will they stand behind their product?

Eric's (Bumperplugs) products are top quality. Plus, he is a Rennlist site sponsor. +1 for Eric.
Old 09-11-2007, 12:19 PM
purpleGORILLA
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, I would like to have my interiors touched up too. But then I wondering if the painted products would be scratchproof. I just can't see how paint can withstand the keys, the pounding, etc...
Old 09-11-2007, 09:39 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

those ebay items look good and they have good feedback. Although I have the Aluma look from Bumperplugs and its tasty. Its the identical color of the horse shoe on my carbon fiber shifter. Got it used but never installed from a 996 owner. I was concerned about scratching but you just have to be careful and not rest your watch near it, easy since your right hand should be on the wheel and not the arm rest. One guy covered his painted console in 3M clear vinyl. Not sure that would work with aluma look.
Old 09-12-2007, 12:24 AM
jmchris01
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tippy
Using a convection heater, I heated the parts to a tempurature that was almost too hot to hold, then applied a coat of paint. After I was done with a coat, I would nuke it some more. After 3 coats and heat, the paint became very, very tough and durable.

Of course prior to painting I sanded the parts down to 800 grit sandpaper.

Total cost to do the horseshoe, vents and ashtray surround: $4.00
Very nice. Unfortunately I don't have the facilites to paint my own parts and am more inclined to pay someone who has a more artistic touch. I would probably end up spending 100 hours to save a few bucks, while ruining the parts altogether in the process, if I attempted to do the work myself.

With regards to the risk of scratching a new painted console, I am not so much concerned with scratching it myself. Afterall, I enjoy driving my P-car only slightly more than I like to look at it... The one I have is very unsightly. Unfortunately I inherited it with the car. So I need to do something.

Will check with Eric at Bumper-Plugs to see what the damage is.

On another note. Thus far this is my only complaint with my 996. I didn't have any interior issues with my 996 or 944S2...overall top quality with no complaints.
Old 09-12-2007, 12:31 AM
TheSpeedDemon
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In regards to the ebay seller, his name is Tony and I have done some business with him already and his stuff is quality stuff and he also provides great customer service. He does more business with 6speedonline users as that forum has more interest in doing painted stuff than here IMHO.
Old 09-12-2007, 12:57 AM
jmchris01
Instructor

Originally Posted by TheSpeedDemon
In regards to the ebay seller, his name is Tony and I have done some business with him already and his stuff is quality stuff and he also provides great customer service. He does more business with 6speedonline users as that forum has more interest in doing painted stuff than here IMHO.
Thanks for the feedback.

I've received other endorsements of Tony's work. For less than $300 for all three parts, that is a very fair price. I recognize that Bumper-Plugs is a Rennlist sponsor, which warrants recognition and consideration, and does add value. On the other hand, saving some additional funds will help pay for the CF shifter and e-brake handle that will compliment the package. Afterall, lets face it...this is not an investment, but more of a personal choice to extract more satisfaction from my P-car. The last I checked the 996s were still droping in value!

Old 09-12-2007, 01:02 AM
michael.s.under
Three Wheelin'

I say go for it, I can vouch for eric's service, but 300 bucks! The feedback is great and I bought some 19's off tony that were perfect!!! He also sells tremendous bumperettes from what ive heard!
Old 09-12-2007, 02:52 AM
TheSpeedDemon
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For me I have no desire to spend money on the interior unless it is functional (i.e. Seats, Roll Bar, Harnesses). Personally I like the plain black look of my car with the outside of the car being more pleasing to the eye.

But I do like seeing others doing-up there interior as long as it looks good and not tacky or over-kill.
Old 09-12-2007, 03:58 PM
michael.s.under
Three Wheelin'

The only over kill one I have seen is the Mcdonalds car, all of the others are super nice. I love the silver center console. Personally would go with white but am afraid of how easily dirty it would get!
Old 09-12-2007, 10:52 PM
jmchris01
Instructor

I've decided to buy the console from Tony. His price includes the console, ashtray, cluster visor and radio trim. I'm going with Artic Silver on all three parts plus the Aluminum e-brake and shifter (minus the silver ring). Will post some before and after pics when its done. Since my 996 is Artic silver with all Black interior, I hope the silver accents will be a nice touch, without being too gaudy. I'm doing it mostly out of necessity (well at least the console), the other parts are an added bonus.

With regards to upgrades, my car already has the 030 suspension, Big Reds, Cargraphics Headers and Exhaust, K&N intake. I hope to chip it in the spring. Either Revo Technik or GIAC. But want to Dyno the car before the chip to establish a baseline.

Thanks again for the info and PMs on Tony's work. He seems to have a solid reputation.
Old 09-12-2007, 11:32 PM
michael.s.under
Three Wheelin'

You have to post a plethora of pics when you get them, also a write up on the install and quality.

Thanks in advance!

Quick Reply: painted interior trim...