Sponsored by:

so i test drove a 07 Cayman S, man that car

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 12:22 PM
carlo$
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default so i test drove a 07 Cayman S, man that car

is fast, fun and loud, very crisp shifting and smooth clutch.

even the wife was impressed by it.

i really liked the Cayman much better than the 01 996 tip i test drove a couple of weeks ago.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:23 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

I would hope a 2007 Cayman would be nicer than an 01 996.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:32 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I test drove a 997TT - finally a turbo I can learn to love, but still with its flaws.
Old 09-10-2007, 01:26 PM
JBRipps
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Ben....what's that....the price? LOL.

J
Old 09-10-2007, 01:58 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

lol to clarify, what i'm saying is... there's too much hype. the cayman is nice, but it's not better than a base carrera, even a 996.

even when i got back into my slow4S, i didn't feel that big of a let down compaerd to the 997TT because basically the feel is the same save for the mad power. the skin is about the same. the lag is still there. it's insanely fast. it's insanely smooth. it's kinda boring.

i still need to flog a gt3 to see if that's where it's at else i need to start looking at a ferrari.
Old 09-10-2007, 03:17 PM
John Henry III - AZ
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My slow4S did not "wow" me at first either, even after driving a base boxster for the previous 6 years. I have come to find however that the C4S really wakes up a 100 plus. That's where you can really appreciate the cars power.
Old 09-10-2007, 03:21 PM
lanny
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the feel of the cayman better than my 996 and would have bought one if there was a place to put my son. I think the cayman was one of the most connected feeling cars that I have ever driven- just MO
Old 09-10-2007, 04:15 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

slow4s shouldn't wow anyways esp coming from a light car like the boxster. it should make u feel more thugged out tho
Old 09-10-2007, 04:49 PM
hwk72
Burning Brakes

Guys, I admit the Cayman S is a very fascinating car but we've to compare apples to apples. Not AWD C4S or tt cars to the RWD, lighter Cayman S and surely not tiptronic cars.

A base 996 C2 6-speed (MK1) and a Cayman S are indeed not too different cars but the mid- vs. rear engine concept. Latter one needs in my eyes more perfection to drive fast.

Ben, if you're bored with your C4S, then don't drive a tt. Get a 997 C2S or a 996 GT3. The heavy AWD cars you're comparing to the Cayman are smooth (and fast in the case of the tt) but they feel like a luxury sedan and not like a sports car.

I personally can only feel the fascination of driving a Porsche in a RWD car. Last time on the track I took a ride in my 996C2 a 996GT3 and a 996tt. The least car I'd like to own for the track is the tt; too indirect and heavy for my taste, too forgiving. In the C2 or GT3 you need to be very smooth with all inputs whereas the tt can be driven fast from less capable drivers - just floor it. The tt helps you out whenever you make a minor mistake - to me that's boring. In the C2 and GT3 (both no PSM) the driver needs to correct the mistake. That's like: if your Daddy buys you all the toys, you never get a feeling for the price/value.

When some people define the Boxster as "Poor Man Porsche", then the Turbo can be called the "Rich Man Porsche for those that can't drive but want to be fast".
Old 09-10-2007, 05:02 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Originally Posted by hwk72
Guys, I admit the Cayman S is a very fascinating car but we've to compare apples to apples. Not AWD C4S or tt cars to the RWD, lighter Cayman S and surely not tiptronic cars.

A base 996 C2 6-speed (MK1) and a Cayman S are indeed not too different cars but the mid- vs. rear engine concept. Latter one needs in my eyes more perfection to drive fast.

Ben, if you're bored with your C4S, then don't drive a tt. Get a 997 C2S or a 996 GT3. The heavy AWD cars you're comparing to the Cayman are smooth (and fast in the case of the tt) but they feel like a luxury sedan and not like a sports car.

I personally can only feel the fascination of driving a Porsche in a RWD car. Last time on the track I took a ride in my 996C2 a 996GT3 and a 996tt. The least car I'd like to own for the track is the tt; too indirect and heavy for my taste, too forgiving. In the C2 or GT3 you need to be very smooth with all inputs whereas the tt can be driven fast from less capable drivers - just floor it. The tt helps you out whenever you make a minor mistake - to me that's boring. In the C2 and GT3 (both no PSM) the driver needs to correct the mistake. That's like: if your Daddy buys you all the toys, you never get a feeling for the price/value.

When some people define the Boxster as "Poor Man Porsche", then the Turbo can be called the "Rich Man Porsche for those that can't drive but want to be fast".

hwk i completely agree with your recommendation. i didn't go for the 996TT for the first time around because the lagginess wasn something i just could not grow to like coming from the I6 M3 engine in my '04. the awd grip is astonishing. u just feel so safe pushing it, yet with the safety you lose some level of excitment which leads me to pursuing another RWD car for my next car.

i need to drive a 997GT3. i don't like the looks of the 996GT3.
Old 09-10-2007, 05:17 PM
RaceCarDriver
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

before buing my C4S, I test drove a new Cayman S. To me, the C4S had more power and the Cayman S had better handling. I choose the C4S because I need the back seat and since I was coming from a Z06, i wanted some power.

The reality is that the Cayman and C4S have about the same power, but the Cayman S had just come out, so every example a drove was not really broken in yet.
Old 09-10-2007, 05:49 PM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have quite a few track laps in my GF's Cayman S and thousands of track miles in a 996. As I've said before, the Cayman is the car Porsche should be developing as it's top end sports car. The 911 variants should be evolved into GT cars for guys that want to say they have a 911. The Cayman is a damn fine sports car.

As for the turbo, I hate them on the track. It's like driving a tank with a jet engine.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Jim
Old 09-10-2007, 06:35 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I drove a Cayman S on the track at Hockenheim in Germany. Had a blast and it seemingly had about the same power and a little better handling than my base 996. There was also a 997 TT in my run group that was eating everyone's lunch...it was his second DE. Say what you want. I've seen at least one TT at every event I've been to that is very fast. With that said, there is also at least one Z06 that is very fast as well.

The apex of performance, comfort & safety since 2011.
All new racewear available now→ traqgear.com
Old 09-10-2007, 06:50 PM
arr0gant
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by lanny
I think the cayman was one of the most connected feeling cars that I have ever driven- just MO
That's what I keep hearing!!
Old 09-10-2007, 07:11 PM
hwk72
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
...i need to drive a 997GT3. i don't like the looks of the 996GT3.
997GT3 is really what I'd go for after any 996 (maybe not after a 996GT2).

Although the 996 GT3 is a sweet car, I've a 996 now and would not buy another 996. Just holding the same steering wheel would not satisfy me. If I'd be so crazy to spend so much money for a car one day, I'd get a 997GT3. A little more rational thinking, I'd get a 997C2S or a Cayman S; all under the condition that I keep my 996 Cab as I need to have at least one convertible.

It's a personal preference but handling and driver involvment is more to me than bare power (GT3 vs. tt). Here's a great German vid, comparing the 997GT3 with the 997tt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uV1aMlPGZkQ

Quick Reply: so i test drove a 07 Cayman S, man that car