996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Warning when cleaning your throttle body and MAF

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 01:56 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tim....nice bulbs....I just love those neighborhoods where there's a good neighbor policy that prevails. Thanks for sharing that info with us less fortunate guys.

Edward: Yes...you're quite correct. I did install the RSS Plenum just a while back and the throttle body was filthy. There was some crud around one of the four 10mm bolts that holds the TB up against the Plenum.....which tells me that the bolts were'nt torqued down equally. There was more crud on the bottom of the Plenum....most likely a collection of crud that accumulated when I sprayed the CRC in there but didin't get into the Plenum until I took off the TB to fish around for the straw. I don't know why or what is contributing to the presence of the black substance that seems to collect around the bottom half of the butterfly valve....but after taking everything apart, it was obvious that a cleaning was definitely called for. I will say that the car runs much "friskier" after cleaning. I think the CEL was caused by a dirty MAF because it hasn't come back since the cleaning and reset.
Old 09-05-2007, 02:08 AM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 80 Posts

Great info. Chuck. Did you ever find a torque spec for the four throttle body bolts? BTW, I like the new avatar, great looking 996!!!
Old 09-06-2007, 02:11 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dreamcarrera: Thank you for the compliment on the avatar.....unfortunately the car caught fire this afternoon and looks like it is totalled. Something caught fire under the dash and it spread so fast I had to bail out. You can see the details under the new post I wrote entitled Holy Smokes!

It was truly heartbreaking to be standing there watching it burn.
Old 09-06-2007, 03:00 AM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 80 Posts

Wow, Chuck that is unbelievable, I just read your previous post and I almost fell off my chair.

I am very sorry to hear about the car but I am glad you got out of it uninjured. I wish you the best of luck in resolving this with the insurance co., etc.

Quick Reply: Warning when cleaning your throttle body and MAF