My 996 is a whiner !!

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 06:05 PM
TRWright
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 996 is a whiner !!

My 996 has always made this 'whine' noise will running. It gets louder/pitch changes with rpm- load is not a factor.

I think it has gotten worse, my girlfriend says it sounds the same as it always has and I'm crazy.

What could be causing this? Do I need to post up a video for you guys?

TIA
Old 08-28-2007, 07:07 PM
ArneeA
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

High pitch whine? Coming from the rear? If so, it may be one of the pulley bearings going bad. Have it looked at before any of the auxilliary stuff breaks.
Old 08-28-2007, 07:08 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Remove the sepentine belt and see if it still makes the noise.
Old 08-28-2007, 07:10 PM
Hawk2109
Intermediate

Well, if I had to guess I would say that the bearings are going out in your gearbox. We see this alot. Let me know if I can be of some help.
Old 08-28-2007, 08:07 PM
TRWright
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Bearings in the gearbox?

My car is tiptronic- and it does this even in park or neautral if you rev it up. Would that rule out anything in the trans?

My 951 has a little bit of gear whine- I know what that sounds like and this is 100% NOT the same noise.

Try to imagine the whine a power steering pump makes when there is no fluid in it. Only higher pitched and it doesn't change when you turn the wheels, only when you rev the engine.

I think you guys may be spot on with a pulley bearing. Would the best plan of action be to remove the belt and try to spin each pulley to see which one is doing it? Is there a DIY for belt replacement and is it a difficult job?

Thanks again
Old 08-28-2007, 08:40 PM
boony
6th Gear

Mine is manual and I have a similar sound that just appeared recently. I've been told by several people that it's some kind of valve within the hydraulic pump in the engine bay. It's used for the manual clutch and other things I believe so is probably still present on a tip. Not sure if that helps at all but thought I'd share. Good luck.
Old 08-28-2007, 08:48 PM
TheSpeedDemon
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You have one of those super rare (one of a kind in other words) gear driven 911's...JK

Could be a pulley bearing or the bearings of the unit itself (maybe that is the same thing, not sure with a Porsche, but with Mustangs, pulleys do not have bearings except for the serpentine tensioner pulley), especially if it changes with revving.

Now I have worked on a lot of V8's stuffed in the front of cars, and when a noise such as this would occur I would use a socket extension (or something similar preferably in metal), and place one end on the unit with the pulley (i.e. Water Pump, Power Steering) and the other end on my ear, and then go from unit to unit until I determined which one was making the noise (with the engine running of course). Ok so that maybe old school and back yard mechancis and richer people used stethoscopes, but it worked very well, but I am not sure about getting something in the Porsche's tight engine compartment to do the same thing.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:33 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by tedwright
My 996 has always made this 'whine' noise will running. It gets louder/pitch changes with rpm- load is not a factor.

I think it has gotten worse, my girlfriend says it sounds the same as it always has and I'm crazy.

What could be causing this? Do I need to post up a video for you guys?

TIA
Are you sure the previous owner isn't still somewhere in the car?
Old 08-28-2007, 10:49 PM
TRWright
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by BruceP
Are you sure the previous owner isn't still somewhere in the car?
LOL. Nah, he never really had anything to whine about with this car-- been super reliable for almost 100k now
Old 08-29-2007, 02:35 PM
wdonovan
Instructor

My 02 C4 Cab has always whined. I chalk it up to the 92 feet of timing chains inside. I remember when mt Dad got his first Porsche thinking "Man these things sound whiny."
Bright side..... Some people pay 6 or 7 dollars for a device that whines and imitates a turbo. Yours is free!
Old 08-29-2007, 03:19 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I bet it is related to the intemediate shaft
Old 08-29-2007, 03:41 PM
Art_Z
Drifting

it could be worse, the girlfriend could be doing all the whining.
Old 08-29-2007, 05:17 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 80 Posts

[QUOTE=tedwright;4503022]Bearings in the gearbox?

My car is tiptronic- and it does this even in park or neautral if you rev it up. Would that rule out anything in the trans?

My 951 has a little bit of gear whine- I know what that sounds like and this is 100% NOT the same noise.

Try to imagine the whine a power steering pump makes when there is no fluid in it. Only higher pitched and it doesn't change when you turn the wheels, only when you rev the engine.

I think you guys may be spot on with a pulley bearing. Would the best plan of action be to remove the belt and try to spin each pulley to see which one is doing it? Is there a DIY for belt replacement and is it a difficult job?

There are do-it-yourself instructions for replacing the serpentine belt on renntech.org. The instructions are very detailed and easy to follow. I replaced the belt on my car with ease using these instructions.

You basically need to remove the air cleaner housing and then simply take the tension off the belt by turning the tensioner pulley while simultaniously slipping the belt off the pulley.

Good luck in solving the problem.

Quick Reply: My 996 is a whiner !!