Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Pre-facelift 996 headlight design: Learn something new every day.

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 11:27 PM
exlondoner
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah your attitude is pretty messed up. Your just guaranteed to put in negativity in any thread - regardless of whether you hurt someones feelings or not.

I think I could talk for a large population of this board by saying you could keep your 'crap' remarks to yourself, it's one thing when someone asks for criticism, but it's another when you start barking away for no reason.

Oh and before I got distracted, that GT1 looks very nice, and it's got nothing to do with the the headlights.
Old 08-30-2007, 01:28 PM
Gretch
Range Master
Pepsie Lite
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1,235 Likes on 755 Posts

Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
what's with the personal attacks, buddy? sounds like you got the membertiedtoauto syndrome.
bennie, You think that was a personal attack? Ha ha .......

Come back when you can buy a beer, the grown ups are talking.

Rob, when did you get the 996?, I thought you were a 993 guy....... Whose eye covers?
Old 08-30-2007, 03:05 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by exlondoner
Oh and before I got distracted, that GT1 looks very nice, and it's got nothing to do with the the headlights.
I kinda find that the headlights add to it. Imagine seeing it in your rearview mirror. On this car, the headlights look kind of predatory. They give it attitude.

Last edited by BruceP; 03-03-2010 at 03:37 PM.
Old 08-30-2007, 03:07 PM
Jakeman
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by perfectlap
The 1997 GT1 has the headlight design of the 1993 Boxster Concept car. The design was completed six years before it appeared on the first 996. The Boxster Concept car interior was also lifted for use in the 996.
I thought that the interior of the Boxster Concept was substantially changed for production of the original Boxster. It looks less curvy. You can just make it out on this link at Autospies...

http://www.autospies.com/news/Photos...-concept-3215/

J
Old 08-30-2007, 03:21 PM
exlondoner
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceP
I kinda find that the headlights add to it. Imagine seeing it in your rearview mirror. On this car, the headlights look kind of predatory. They give it attitude.

Agreed, the lines just flow perfectly.
Old 08-30-2007, 03:44 PM
Rob in WA
Cap'n Insane the Engorged
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gretch
....Rob, when did you get the 996?, I thought you were a 993 guy....... Whose eye covers?
Hehe -- your memory is failing old man.

A Blast From the Past
Old 08-30-2007, 04:07 PM
Gretch
Range Master
Pepsie Lite
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1,235 Likes on 755 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob in WA
Hehe -- your memory is failing old man.

A Blast From the Past
Well the truth is I never really paid much attention........ I (obviously) like the eye covers though.
Old 08-30-2007, 04:18 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jakeman
I thought that the interior of the Boxster Concept was substantially changed for production of the original Boxster. It looks less curvy. You can just make it out on this link at Autospies...

http://www.autospies.com/news/Photos...-concept-3215/

J
I have a hard copy of that brochure I picked up from a bloke in London.
Kind of crazy to think its 15 years old. Concept cars in 1978 looked way retro by 1993. The Boxster concept interior was very close from a design perspective to the 996/986 production interiors. Check out the toy pic below:
Three spoke steering wheel, gauge cluster and pod cover, the interior door panels, door handle latch and door pulls, glove compartment area, a precursor to the Recaro pole position seats used in the GT3 seats...all basically what you find inside any Boxster or 911 up until 2 years ago.

a very modern design. The 997/987 interior with the big VW Bug steering wheel looks wrong in a sports car. Probably because it was designed for an SUV.

Old 08-30-2007, 04:36 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

from what I read (911 story, Paul Frere), the 996 had the priority of design than of the boxster, meaning that... the 996 dont have the boxster headlights, but rather the other way around. It is the boxster that inherited the 996 lights, even though the boxster came out first (wich was a marketing decision). Just mentioning what I have read...
Old 08-30-2007, 04:41 PM
Jakeman
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by perfectlap
I have a hard copy of that brochure I picked up from a bloke in London.
Kind of crazy to think its 15 years old. Concept cars in 1978 looked way retro by 1993. The Boxster concept interior was very close from a design perspective to the 996/986 production interiors. Check out the toy pic below:
Three spoke steering wheel, gauge cluster and pod cover, the interior door panels, door handle latch and door pulls, glove compartment area, a precursor to the Recaro pole position seats used in the GT3 seats...all basically what you find inside any Boxster or 911 up until 2 years ago.

a very modern design. The 997/987 interior with the big VW Bug steering wheel looks wrong in a sports car. Probably because it was designed for an SUV.
I LOVE that it's a model car that you're showing! It's easier to see than the pix on Autospies. It looks like you're right, though. There are similarities to the Concept car. Yet, the overall "swoopiness" of the production model seems more evident? I love the little fans in the console--would that have been fun to detail or what??
Old 08-30-2007, 04:41 PM
Pugnacious P
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL: "It is the boxster that inherited the 996 lights, even though the boxster came out first ."

Sorry I just had to laugh.
Old 08-30-2007, 05:01 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by redridge
from what I read (911 story, Paul Frere), the 996 had the priority of design than of the boxster, meaning that... the 996 dont have the boxster headlights, but rather the other way around. It is the boxster that inherited the 996 lights, even though the boxster came out first (wich was a marketing decision). Just mentioning what I have read...
That was Porsche's official position. We'll never know, and I realize that it doesn't really matter. But looking at how perfectly integrated they are into the GT1, it's hard to believe that they didn't start there, at least on somebody's sketch pad. Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if someone at the time was advocating for this shape to be a new Porsche signature (which would explain the otherwise odd decision to put them on the Boxster and echo them on the original Cayenne), and then popular demand shut them down. History has a way of getting rewritten by marketers, but when you look at those four cars, you just have to wonder if they thought this was going to be a permanent addition to the grammar of Porsche design.

Cool, in any case.
Old 08-30-2007, 05:24 PM
Pugnacious P
Burning Brakes

I must disagree with your genetic heritage theory, as it pertains to headlights...

Note pic of 1996 GT1, and then in 1998 the Gt1. Hmm what happened between 96-98?

Last edited by Pugnacious P; 11-01-2007 at 02:35 PM.
Old 08-30-2007, 05:31 PM
Pugnacious P
Burning Brakes

Also note that the headlights of GT1 were changed 1st in 1997, which "coincidentally" was the launch year of the Boxster and 1 year before launch of 996 in Europe. So I believe one can safely infer that the forward styling of the Boxster was used to update the look of the GT1 as well as share components with the later launched 996.
Old 08-30-2007, 05:53 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Boxster was the guinea pig for a new Porsche look. They needed it!
After the Boxster design was well received they began the very long process of considering it for the 996.
Note that it took 6 years for this design to makes its way into the 911 while it only took three years for the first European delivery Boxsters to hit the showrooms. A big feat for that era.
I think if not for the success of the Boxster, Porsche would have continued using the 993/997 "motif" if you will, for the flag ship 911. But some shrewd person at Porsche must have convinced the higher ups that using 2/3's the same parts for two different models would be a profitable move. I don't think its a stretch at all to say that in terms of design, if not for the Boxster concept we would never have had the 996. Its really the only 911 that doesn't quiet blend into the 911 genealogy, one reason why I like it the most. Growing up I was never a fan of the VW-esque 911's, the 928 and even the 944 seemed like a much more modern design to me. It would have been interesting to see what next 996 aka 997 could have looked like had they not gone retro.

back to the topic....too bad the new Boxster/Cayman never got the 996 Turbo or Carrera GT headlights as a progression to the GT1 kidneys beans. Even the new Cayenne lights would have been better than the current roundish cutesy things.

Quick Reply: Pre-facelift 996 headlight design: Learn something new every day.