Sponsored by:

996 and my milliGauss Meter.

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 01:55 PM
smackboy1
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by insite
could you just wrap it in tinfoil and ground it to reduce the field?
Isn't that going to make it uncomfortable walking around, not to mention the crinkling sound emanating from his shorts
Old 08-25-2007, 02:19 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ran out of foil trying to wrap the big boys..

I'm really curious to know if everyones car giving off those readings. I know there are some Engineers out there with better equipment than my Home Depot $40 device.

Originally Posted by insite
could you just wrap it in tinfoil and ground it to reduce the field?
Old 08-25-2007, 03:05 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

So, let me get this straight: 996s leak, are prone to engines blowing up, have poorly engineered cooling systems, aren't 'real' Porsches anyway, and now they irradiate your *********?!

May as well shop for mods. I'm obviously never going to sell this thing...
Old 08-25-2007, 09:23 PM
insite
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by smackboy1
Isn't that going to make it uncomfortable walking around, not to mention the crinkling sound emanating from his shorts
just fell out of my chair. hysterical.
Old 08-25-2007, 09:47 PM
GNR996
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceP
So, let me get this straight: 996s leak, are prone to engines blowing up, have poorly engineered cooling systems, aren't 'real' Porsches anyway, and now they irradiate your *********?!

Old 08-25-2007, 10:43 PM
dresler
Burning Brakes

Ok, I am open to just about anything. However. I have used magnets that are 10,000 Gauss strong. MilliGauss? Worry about something else. Like, cosmic rays perhaps? Or, the neighbor being a Jeffery Dalmer wannabe? MilliGauss? The earth's magnetic field is 1 Gauss.

http://www.astronomycafe.net/qadir/ask/a11654.html

Notice the strength of a toy refrigerator magnet.

Last edited by dresler; 08-25-2007 at 11:12 PM.
Old 08-26-2007, 02:32 AM
ArneeA
Drifting

Originally Posted by BruceP

Let's just hope future buyers don't find this thread...or prices will drop even lower than Civics!
Old 08-27-2007, 01:36 PM
TomP
Rennlist Member

Which Home Depot meter are you using? Couldn't find any listed that had a milligauss function.

Your meter may be picking up more than just magnetic fields. It might be poorly shielded for EMI/RFI (ElectroMagnetic Interference/Radio Frequency Interference) and is responding to the cars' many microprocessors, which are merrily running along inside the alarm control, radio, etc. I believe the alarm controller is underneath the drivers' seat?

And, for what it's worth, I would never buy a house near power lines. But not for the highly debatable, and controversial, health reasons. They detract from the scenery; they can cause interference in your TV & radio reception; and if they are close enough, can cause induced voltages in metallic items, which can lead to shocks.

Tom
(electronics engineer, in hobby & profession.)

Originally Posted by washington dc porsche
Yesterday, I pulled out my milliGauss meter to check on a property that is about 300 yards from a line of power lines. I and my GF began walking around my house getting reoriented with the device by walking around looking for electrical hotspots. We found a couple, moved things around etc...

About an 1 hour later we drive over to the potential property with the device. On the way, my GF turns on the meter and its going crazy (readings at 2.5 milliGuass). We figure something must be near us giving off a signal even though we were in the middle of a rural part of MD on a 1 lane road (top down).

We arrive to the neighborhood and park directly under the 150ft power line to get what we though would be a baseline reading. The meter jumps to 4.0+ milliGauss. I continued to the entry gate of the property (about 300ft from the house itself), this time I turned the car off. At that point the reading dropped from 2.5 to .2 milliGauss and .5. Next I drive back under the power lines then turn the car off. The device tracked a reading of 2 milliGauss.

To speed what's left of this story along. I came home to find the source of the high readings and there it was under the driver's seat. It was one of the electronic control units giving off very high readings of well over 5 milligauss which is 3 milliGauss higher than parking directly underneath the Power lines.

Granted my device is a cheap Home Depot unit, I sincerely hope I'm not frying my "testies" while sitting in rush hour every day. Maybe I'm reading the device incorrectly.

BTW, sustained high ELF readings of 2.0+ is a possible leukemia and cancer causing problem in young children and some adults.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:14 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Could be your *****... have your girlfriend shoot them with the milliGuass and report back.
Old 08-27-2007, 03:57 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by riad
Could be your *****... have your girlfriend shoot them with the milliGuass and report back.
Would there be a case for using his GF's dental brace as a form of Faraday cage to try shielding the emissions from this general bodily area?

Worth a try surely!
Old 08-27-2007, 03:59 PM
ArneeA
Drifting

Originally Posted by cdodkin
Would there be a case for using his GF's dental brace as a form of Faraday cage to try shielding the emissions from this general bodily area?

Worth a try surely!
You gotta ground the loop somehow!
Old 08-27-2007, 04:22 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by cdodkin

Worth a try surely!
For the love of God please tell me his girlfriend is too old for braces.
Old 08-27-2007, 07:53 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Jerks! LOL!

Originally Posted by riad
For the love of God please tell me his girlfriend is too old for braces.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:00 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...b&ddkey=Search

I'm moving away from the idea of the living near the powerlines due to the highly debatable part you mentioned. The house is 300 yards from the lines which just is not far enough for me, although, it is very tempting to have 5 acres, a pool and 4 car garage.

Originally Posted by TomP
Which Home Depot meter are you using? Couldn't find any listed that had a milligauss function.

Your meter may be picking up more than just magnetic fields. It might be poorly shielded for EMI/RFI (ElectroMagnetic Interference/Radio Frequency Interference) and is responding to the cars' many microprocessors, which are merrily running along inside the alarm control, radio, etc. I believe the alarm controller is underneath the drivers' seat?

And, for what it's worth, I would never buy a house near power lines. But not for the highly debatable, and controversial, health reasons. They detract from the scenery; they can cause interference in your TV & radio reception; and if they are close enough, can cause induced voltages in metallic items, which can lead to shocks.

Tom
(electronics engineer, in hobby & profession.)

Last edited by washington dc porsche; 08-27-2007 at 09:46 PM.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:37 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Oh god no. Scaremongering marketing at it's best... go wrap yourself in foil.

All EMF are evil!

You know Home Depot has a good return policy, you can still send this thing back.

Quick Reply: 996 and my milliGauss Meter.