Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   996 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum-60/)
-   -   New clutch and flywheel questions (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/372133-new-clutch-and-flywheel-questions.html)

arthurc 08-17-2007 12:11 PM

New clutch and flywheel questions

Hi, I need a new clutch and am thinking about doing the flywheel as well, I would like to get a setup that gives me the following things
1) High performance clutch and lightwieght flywheel
2) Reduce the clutch pedal travel (im not sure if this is possible)

Is a high performance clutch going to last a longer or shorter time than stock, also what advantages will I see with the lightweight flywheel, any disadvantages?

Any recommended setups would be great, also while the work is being done is there anything else I should do to the engine?

Thanks in advance
AC

hdtwncam88 08-18-2007 12:38 PM

getting ready to do my clutch as well and everything i've read so far as led me to this...for a daily driver DO NOT do lightweight flywheel as it has no benefits, i was also looking towards aftermarket clutches as have decided to go with an OEM SACHS replacement...hopefully when i pull it apart flywheel is OK

hdtwncam88 08-18-2007 12:40 PM

and as far as additional things to be done, i was told to do plugs, filters, and to consider an RMS replacement...my car is a 65k mile 99 carrera

wross996tt 08-18-2007 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by arthurc
Hi, I need a new clutch and am thinking about doing the flywheel as well, I would like to get a setup that gives me the following things
1) High performance clutch and lightwieght flywheel

Why do you need/want a high performance clutch? Whay HP do you have...if you were pushing some serious HP I would understand, but not for your car.

2) Reduce the clutch pedal travel (im not sure if this is possible)

You want the clutch to engage faster?...there are ways to adjust the clutch for this.

Is a high performance clutch going to last a longer or shorter time than stock, also what advantages will I see with the lightweight flywheel, any disadvantages?

The high performance clutch will last longer for high HP cars....I suppose that will be true of lower hp cars as well..
LWFW is for reducing rotational mass and therefore allowing for less power to be "used" to move the engine's internals...thus more power during acceleration.

Any recommended setups would be great, also while the work is being done is there anything else I should do to the engine?

I believe Sachs is the OEM clutch for Porsche....so their products will work great...if you want more clutch than your car needs get the stage 2 GT3-RS clutch package from Kevin @ UMW.

SpeedPhreak 08-18-2007 05:52 PM

This is the same advice I've heard from everyone I've spoken to. Stick with Sachs (OEM) clutch for every day driving. Lightweight flywheels provide quicker revs, but this can also be done thru ECU tuning on eGas versions of the 996 (02+).

A colleague of mine installed a GT3 clutch with lightweight flywheel in his 996TT and it feels great, except in every day driving at the stop light. With the clutch disengaged, there is an ever so subtle "tinny" sound. It goes away whenever the clutch or throttle are engaged.

02 996 C2 - K&N Aircharger, B&M SSK, Tubi Manifolds and Sport Mufflers

hdtwncam88 08-18-2007 05:56 PM

hey speedphreak...how do you like the K&N? nobody here like them and i've used there products on every car i've owned...primarily diesels

SpeedPhreak 08-19-2007 09:15 AM

K&N Experience

I love it. It was one of the first mods I put on the car. The intake sound was pretty good over 3000 RPM, but overall net performance was negligible. Though, I did achieve 4.7 sec 0-60 and 13.12 sec 1/4 times with 100 octane race gas sans spare tire.

Was a little paranoid in the rain at first, but never took the weather sheath off. I think people who remove that and over-oil the filter run the risk of getting all kinds of gunk into the intake tube, MAF, throttle body and down stream into the engine. That's probably where most of the negative feedback has comes from. (If you don't know why it's there, don't *&^! with it or accept the consequences.)

Still happy 13 months after having it installed. Cheap way to get good acoustics and mild performance in the mid-range, but no top-end benefit. Heard of issues with pre-2002 996 installs mostly related to improperly re-connecting the MAF wiring harness. Just like any other mod, know what you're getting into before you take it on. This board has been awesome for that.

SpeedPhreak

bzalforno 08-19-2007 11:09 AM

just did the whole analysis, and ended up with stock factory parts. my shop actually installed an entire kit with lwf, and it made noises. that was a no no in my instructions to them. out it went and back to dmf.
btw, my egine was bone dry from the outside. when they dropped the tranny, they found seepage from the rms, so the put in the new seal. happy as a clam.

SMR996 08-20-2007 03:39 PM

I added the upgraded clutch to take the added stress from the LWFW....... I'm glad I did....

If you can take the cement mixer noise from the LWFW it's a great upgrade performance wise.... One drawback is it likes the higher RPM's and that doesn't lend itself to street driving... my car spends more time at the track than on the street... and when it's on the street I just live with it...

Cheers.

hdtwncam88 08-20-2007 03:42 PM

is the correct part number for the factory sachs kit K70246-01 for a 99 Non turbo carrera c-2 ? and is $394.00 a good price ?

hwk72 08-20-2007 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by wross996tt (Post 4469940)
You want the clutch to engage faster?...there are ways to adjust the clutch for this.

How can the clutch be adjusted to engage faster? I'd love to change this on my car. My clutch engage point is too close to the end of my pedal way.

Benjamin Choi 08-20-2007 06:50 PM

I like it engaging higher than lower. All cars I've owned engaged at around the same point. S2000, M3, 911. The 911 is the stiffest stock clutch. I had a stiffer aftermarket clutch on the supercharged S2000.

Chuck Jones 08-20-2007 11:19 PM

Someone said that there was a way to adjust the clutch to engage faster? This is a hydraulic clutch, and I was told that there is absolutely no way to adjust it. It is what it is. Mine engages a bit high, and after checking with the dealership and some indys, I was told that there is no adjustment.....the only adjustment being a new clutch if it's slipping.

wross996tt 08-21-2007 12:37 AM

Let me clarify...you can replace clutch fluid, bleed the lines and this will often change the engagement point...not a specific adjustment.

sk8world 08-21-2007 12:40 AM

I am getting a clutch kit installed this week. I have decided to go with a SPEC stage 1. I have been running a 3tage 3+ on my rx7 for a year and love it. Has nayone else on here ever used the SPEC in a Porsche? I might be the first. I found a local shop to do the install and RMS for $1100 and that includes a Porsche tech over seeing the job.. If you decide to DIY I can post showing step by step on it. But for 1100 I can not pass it up. The shop has done a GT2 clutch before so I feel they are qualified.