Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Does an aftermarket exhaust make a difference?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 07:52 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by mnitzan
What exactly is a "PSE" modification? I am looking into a purchasing a sport exhaust for my 2001 996 and viewed a number of posts regarding this specific type of modification that uses the factory exhaust.

Any details appreciated.

Your help greatly appreciated.

Cheers
You cut the cap off the end of the muffler and add a 2-1/4" pipe from the "cap" to the exit pipe. This is called the MK II PSE mod. This allows some of the exhaust to bypass two of the three chambers in the mufflers and gives you a louder and lower sound.

The muffler on the right is stock and the muffler on the left has had the MK II mod completed.
Attached Images  
Old 11-06-2007, 11:01 PM
Holger B
Race Car

Received 87 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by 02 Carrera
It is possible to get even a greater difference that you mentioned. I have seen high boost/hp vary by over 50 rwhp (uncorrected) on a Dynojet. That is why you put in temperature and humidity readings into the dyno sofware everytime you run and look at corrected numbers. Despite the raw number differences, the corrected numbers were within 1%. SAE correction standards are applied to compensate for varying climate conditions. My correction factor was 1.04 for my baseline and 1.03 with the intake and exhaust. In my case, if you look at just the raw/uncorrected numbers; the difference is actually greater (at 24 rwhp). On the second dyno it was cooler, but more humid resulting in a slightly lower correction factor.

Being able to compensate for varying climate conditions using correction factors is the reason why a chassis dyno is the most accurate way to measure power variances next to an engine dyno in a climate controlled room. Keep in mind that not everyone inputs climate data and corrects corrections factors when they operate a dyno. Make sure they do it whenever you dyno or the result of the runs will be useless. Feel free to read SAE white papers on dyno calibration and correction standards to understand more about how climate can effect engine performance and is compensated by standardized mathmatical formulas.

One other thing to think about is in a similar thread someone made a comment that they measure changes by using a Gtech or other manually trigger motion sensing box. These devices have no abiltiy to compensate for varying climate conditions and hence provide no accuracy in measurement.
I'm no engineer and my dyno knowledge is all secondhand. I'm also aware of the correction factors. But different dynos produce differing results. Also, there are other factors that aren't corrected for and tuners can use to game the system (tranny oil temp, for example). So, I remain a skeptic when it comes to mods and "proven results". If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is...
Old 11-06-2007, 11:12 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Holger B
I'm no engineer and my dyno knowledge is all secondhand. I'm also aware of the correction factors. But different dynos produce differing results. Also, there are other factors that aren't corrected for and tuners can use to game the system (tranny oil temp, for example). So, I remain a skeptic when it comes to mods and "proven results". If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is...
I generally agree with this, and I think if you have to look that hard for proof, it's probably not worth the trouble. But I think exhaust is different, dyno or no. It's the most tunable part of an engine without opening the motor up, and the component most likely to be deliberately compromised by the manufacturer for marketing or compliance reasons. A good exhaust lets the engine come closer to making the power it was built with. If you understand how exhausts work, and I think you probably do, you'd have a hard time arguing with that statement. Worth the money? That's subjective. But gains, yes.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:34 PM
Holger B
Race Car

Originally Posted by BruceP
I generally agree with this, and I think if you have to look that hard for proof, it's probably not worth the trouble. But I think exhaust is different, dyno or no. It's the most tunable part of an engine without opening the motor up, and the component most likely to be deliberately compromised by the manufacturer for marketing or compliance reasons. A good exhaust lets the engine come closer to making the power it was built with. If you understand how exhausts work, and I think you probably do, you'd have a hard time arguing with that statement. Worth the money? That's subjective. But gains, yes.
22hp from switching mufflers? Tell that to an engineer in Zuffenhausen and he'll laugh in your face.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:26 AM
BruceP
Drifting

22hp from switching mufflers? Tell that to an engineer in Zuffenhausen and he'll laugh in your face.
I didn't say anything about 22hp.

Now, about this engineer in Zuffenhausen. Can I pick any engineer I want to tell it to? Does he have to be able to speak English, or work for Porsche? Could he be, like, a train engineer? Or a sanitation engineer? Can we have beer after he laughs in my face? Could I use this as a standup routine in a Zuffenhausen bar on open mike night? Would I win?
Old 11-07-2007, 10:25 AM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There definitly is some power to be had. I just took off my bypass pipes and went back to stock. The car has a wee bit more grunt down low (who the f**k cares about this), and has less ***** in the mid/high RPM.
Old 11-07-2007, 10:44 AM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

PSE Rocks
Old 11-07-2007, 10:57 AM
rountreed
Burning Brakes

Sound = yes, Performance = no IMHO did it would do it again but outside hearing it you will never know.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:58 PM
Rob in WA
Cap'n Insane the Engorged
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray S
PSE Rocks
+1

PSE audio samples:

Sample One

Sample Two

Not so much performance gains, but the sound makes the car feel faster, plus it gives a nice aural indicator of when to blip and shift.
Old 11-08-2007, 03:11 PM
auto-xr
Racer

"Curb weight.....3149 lb"
http://www.caranddriver.com/longroad...era-page4.html

And the Tip weighs ~100 lbs more, plus the driver, fuel, fluids ,etc, easily equals ~3,400 lbs.

Let me point out the obvious: how accurate can that gizmo be (certainly not the 100th of a second)?, same route?, same conditions (very unlikely, that's why chassis dyno numbers are so suspect and easy to manipulate)?

If you're happy with it, that's all that matters. But, the gains you claim are highly suspect given those mods (a turbo or sc would be a different story). Common sense says that you'd need to a big jump in power to lower your 0-60 time by that margin and there's no way those mods are going to get you there.
Corner balanced weight (pulled from one of my posts).

My car weighs 3084lbs and 3259lbs with my weight 175lbs (lightweight 02 5 spokes F/R 8”/10”, PS2 235/265, no floor mats except for 1 weathertech driver mat at approximately 5lbs, a hair over 1/4 tank of gas, a stereo amp at approximately 10lbs, heavier GT3 sway bars and TRG drop links, engine protection plate, no spare tire, no toolkit/jack, JICs which weigh the same as stock from my measurements, and the rear strut brace).

The car is a 99 996 6spd, w/lsd, rear wiper, heated seats, and tinted windows.
Attached Images  
Old 11-08-2007, 06:31 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Originally Posted by rountreed
Sound = yes, Performance = no
Do you think that plane in your avatar has 'mufflers'? And if not, do you think it's just because flying without them made it sound cooler?

Just puttin' that out there.
Old 11-08-2007, 06:43 PM
ElTorrente
Burning Brakes

Yeah I don't understand why people think performance exhausts are nothing but sound. I think exhausts like the Fabspeeds, GHL, and others would certainly boost hp a bit. I seriously doubt it's 22whp (or bhp for that matter), but I think ~10hp is certainly possible.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:01 AM
Holger B
Race Car

Originally Posted by BruceP
Do you think that plane in your avatar has 'mufflers'? And if not, do you think it's just because flying without them made it sound cooler?

Just puttin' that out there.
Do you think it was designed that way...or did the pilot yank them off?
Old 11-09-2007, 12:43 AM
BruceP
Drifting

Do you think it was designed that way...or did the pilot yank them off?
... to impress chicks, maybe?

Quick Reply: Does an aftermarket exhaust make a difference?