Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

removing radio without the removal tool?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 11:18 AM
jkarp
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default removing radio without the removal tool?

Hi,
Is there anyway to remove the Becker radio without the radio removal tool? I would like to get mine out today, but the local dealer doesn't have that tool in stock. Is there any other way of getting it out?

thanks... josh
Old 08-15-2007, 11:26 AM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jkarp
Hi,
Is there anyway to remove the Becker radio without the radio removal tool? I would like to get mine out today, but the local dealer doesn't have that tool in stock. Is there any other way of getting it out?

thanks... josh
Fingernail clippers, use the top arm thingy
Old 08-15-2007, 11:35 AM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 93 Posts

Go to any place that sells stereos (best buy, circuit city, walmart) and pick up a set of removal tools for ~$5.
Old 08-15-2007, 12:28 PM
Stefan Richter
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I made my own with the metal pieces that cover up the slots in the back of most computers. If you do a search for the tools, you can print out their profile and transfer it onto the metal pieces. Some tinsnips and a few adjustments and you are set. When you put them in, you will hear a click and they will seat themselves. However, at that point there is no going back, as you have to remove the radio to get the tools back out (to release the catch). The radio will give you trouble, and it is initially hard to pull. Good luck

Stefan
Old 08-16-2007, 08:44 AM
BAD930
Intermediate

Yep easy, pull out the switch tabs (takes a bit of effort but dont worry they not that easy to break) which are on the left and right of the radio panle, unscrew all the screws, pull the whole unit forward a bit and then use a small flat had screw driver to push back the pins on the side of the radio.
Sounds difficult but really very simple.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:50 AM
jkarp
Advanced

that's exactly what I did. It took all of 10 minutes ;-)

thanks everyone for the replies... josh

Originally Posted by BAD930
Yep easy, pull out the switch tabs (takes a bit of effort but dont worry they not that easy to break) which are on the left and right of the radio panle, unscrew all the screws, pull the whole unit forward a bit and then use a small flat had screw driver to push back the pins on the side of the radio.
Sounds difficult but really very simple.
Old 04-16-2018, 01:11 AM
Gbug
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Removed my radio today with the help of a pair of nail clippers, and wanted to add a data point here to help any of those doing this in the future. If you first remove the rectangle trim piece surrounding the climate control, which is easily done with a plastic lever or taped up screwdriver, you then will have an exposed area that you can use to pry out the radio. No need to worry about damaging the unit during removal, as you are pushing/prying on the backside edge of the radio. Also, I found this video helpful as it described how to use the nail clippers to pry back the radio tabs: Remove a Stereo with Fingernail Clippers - Porsche/VW/Mercedes
Old 06-20-2018, 04:23 PM
simssj
5th Gear

@Gbug -- That link was broken, but I tracked down the video, here:

Last edited by simssj; 06-20-2018 at 04:25 PM. Reason: Link Glitch

Quick Reply: removing radio without the removal tool?