Check Engine Light went on after car sat for a week! - P0154 code

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 07:41 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Check Engine Light went on after car sat for a week! - P0154 code

I got back from a family vacation yesterday, and used the 996 to go pick up some food about 2 miles away. When I got back, the CEL came on.

Do I have to take it to a dealer or mechanic, to find out what's what? Should I stop driving the car? I have a pretty comprehensive warantee from GE, with a $200 deductible.

With the low miles and my car sitting around for a lot of it's life, what can I be in for?

PS--Search engine is down...of all times!

Last edited by AndyK; 08-17-2007 at 09:21 PM.
Old 08-13-2007, 07:53 PM
discoganya
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

First things first. Don't Panic

If the CEL isn't flashing you are probably OK driving the car a little. Just go to a Porsche dealer or indy mechanic with a code reader and have the computer codes read. They'll be able to tell you exactly what the problem is.

GL
Old 08-13-2007, 08:15 PM
lanny
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there are lots of little "checks" the car does that can trigger a CEL- I just had one go on after I washed the car and then after about ten key cycles it went out. IMO I would wait a week or so as it may just correct itself.
Old 08-13-2007, 08:28 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go to Autozone and ask them to read the code for you (free) then report the code to us.

Originally Posted by AndyK
I got back from a family vacation yesterday, and used the 996 to go pick up some food about 2 miles away. When I got back, the CEL came on.

Do I have to take it to a dealer or mechanic, to find out what's what? Should I stop driving the car? I have a pretty comprehensive warantee from GE, with a $200 deductible.

With the low miles and my car sitting around for a lot of it's life, what can I be in for?

PS--Search engine is down...of all times!
Old 08-13-2007, 08:29 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

Try this...disconnect the battery...then re-connect (this will clear the CEL). If it comes back...It might just be a week battery. Do you have it on a battery maintainer? If not you should...leaving the car for a week and such.
Old 08-13-2007, 09:21 PM
C4CRNA
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

go to autozone get them to read the code and they can erase it. Someone here will read the code for you and tell you whats wrong. then you can decide to go to the dealer. You should have a code reader. about $100.00 and join renntech.org and they have a complete list of codes. most are minor, loose gas cap, O2 sensor etc. Going to a dealer or independent WILL cost you money and one trip to a dealer will pay for your very own code reader!!
Old 08-13-2007, 09:53 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep - your own code reader is a great investment!

I went with: http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/...bCategoryName=

Pays for itself in one use - and you get to know more about your car.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:27 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Good advice on getting a code reader. And good advice on disconnecting the battery to see if that clears the code light. The car does sit a lot, and I don't have it on a battery charger. My 944 never needed one, so I tend to think it's not the battery.

But as long as the light isn't blinking, I wont do harm to the car by driving it, hoping the light goes out?

How do you read codes on these cars? Is there a plug by the fuses, or what?

Also, how much is that Harbor Freight code reader - I don't see a price!?
Old 08-13-2007, 10:36 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Good advice on getting a code reader. And good advice on disconnecting the battery to see if that clears the code light. The car does sit a lot, and I don't have it on a battery charger. My 944 never needed one, so I tend to think it's not the battery.

But as long as the light isn't blinking, I wont do harm to the car by driving it, hoping the light goes out?

How do you read codes on these cars? Is there a plug by the fuses, or what?

Also, how much is that Harbor Freight code reader - I don't see a price!?
Andy - there is an OBD plug by the fuse panel under the dash on the steering wheel side (US).

I usually power the car up with the key - but don't start the engine - then read the codes from the OBD II Scanner.

Reader is currently $65 on offer from $130 original price

Here's a web link with pricing:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=94217

CEL may go out by itself - but it's better to read the codes when you first get the CEL, and then use the reader to reset the CEL for you.

That way you can see if you have more than one thing that is triggering CEL over time.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:45 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

These cars have so many electronics...running all the time...that a battery maintainer is required if you leave the car a lot.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:52 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wross996tt
These cars have so many electronics...running all the time...that a battery maintainer is required if you leave the car a lot.
OK, which one is a favorite? How much do they cost, and how do they work - stick them into the cig lighter socket?
Old 08-13-2007, 11:09 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Many use the Porsche version that goes in the CL....I got the interstate one that connects hard to the battery terminals and has a plug that plugs into the outlet charger. Works great...will not over charge the battery.

Last edited by wross996tt; 02-07-2013 at 02:50 PM.
Old 08-13-2007, 11:15 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

No way I want to remove that thing every time I want to take the car out for a joy ride, especially in the colder months!

There must be a CL version made by another company other than Porsche?
Old 08-13-2007, 11:17 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

I use a trickle charging battery charger during the winter. I just connect it up once a week and let it do it's stuff. Visit Pep Boys and you'll see plenty of options.

One point here though - a dead battery should not cause a CEL - I think that's a red herring. Need to get the code read and see what's going on.
Old 08-13-2007, 11:21 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Definitely buying a code reader. Worth the $60 investment to know what's going on, and to be able to reset the light at will.

Quick Reply: Check Engine Light went on after car sat for a week! - P0154 code