996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Kelly Blue Book....?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 10:24 PM
rmillnj
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have really bad news for you if you think KBB is listing lower. Here in NJ most dealers I have talked to, go by Galves and that is usually showing lower prices than KBB. Anytime I shop a car for trade in and mention KBB, I get told that their prices for trade in are too high. I have gotten that same response at Honda, Chrysler/Jeep, Audi, and Porsche dealers. For trade in, the local auction house prices really set the standard and Galves is much closer to that than anything else. Galves is a subscription service and most dealers subscribe.
Old 08-14-2007, 08:48 AM
ZX9RCAM
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jasper
What's the story on the car?
No "story" just wanting to upgrade to a TT & will be wanting to sell this car
I have had for almost 2 yrs......bought it as a weekend toy to replace my Motorcycles & liked it so much have been using it as a DD, put ~25,000 miles on it
in this time....Color is Paladio Metallic I believe with Boxster Red interior.

Picture below.....

Old 08-14-2007, 10:38 AM
jasper
Three Wheelin'

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I've seen much much less nice (is that right) cars than that list for over $30K. More importantly I've also seen them sell for $30K. I was chasing a few which slipped through my fingers.

The 1999 has a couple of things going for it - a bit lighter, faster throttle response on account of the cable setup. Yours in particular has the clear headlights and the upgrade wheels. Should be possible to sell for $30K pretty quick. The red interior will put off half you buyers. Case in point - there was a boxster red interior 996 in Texas I was looking at. I liked the interior, but my wife refused.

The thing about the $24K kbb price is that it only is a factor if there are other cars for sale for that price. The "trick" you originally were asking for to get around the lowball buyers is to tell them to go and buy a $24K 996. When they realize they can't (cuz there's none available) they'll come back to you - provided your car is desirable to them.

Good luck anyway - post it in the classifieds here. That's where I found my car.
Old 08-14-2007, 11:13 AM
ZX9RCAM
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by jasper
I've seen much much less nice (is that right) cars than that list for over $30K. More importantly I've also seen them sell for $30K. I was chasing a few which slipped through my fingers.

The 1999 has a couple of things going for it - a bit lighter, faster throttle response on account of the cable setup. Yours in particular has the clear headlights and the upgrade wheels. Should be possible to sell for $30K pretty quick. The red interior will put off half you buyers. Case in point - there was a boxster red interior 996 in Texas I was looking at. I liked the interior, but my wife refused.

The thing about the $24K kbb price is that it only is a factor if there are other cars for sale for that price. The "trick" you originally were asking for to get around the lowball buyers is to tell them to go and buy a $24K 996. When they realize they can't (cuz there's none available) they'll come back to you - provided your car is desirable to them.

Good luck anyway - post it in the classifieds here. That's where I found my car.
I like the Boxter Red interior myself, but I know what you mean.

You gave me what I was looking for as far as your "trick" is concerned. That
is what I was needing to see.........thanks!
Old 08-14-2007, 12:33 PM
Ranger
Advanced

When people say "but the KBB price is <fill in the inadequate price>" you respond by saying "KBB isn't accurate for Porsches". If it's their first day shopping for Porsches they won't beleive you. But if it's their 3rd month shopping for Porsche's, they'll know you are absolutely right.

It's not necessary to go into a bunch of explanations. If a buyer is running around offering people KBB for their Porsche, they're going to accumulate a collection of "no deals". Eventually they'll figure out that they're not going to get a decent Porsche for KBB.

+1 for Ebay on judging what the cars are going for. Be sure to select "Complete Listings" so you can see how much cars sold for, and didn't sell for. But be aware that lots of Ebay cars sell off-line, for a little under asking, after the auction closes.
Old 08-14-2007, 01:12 PM
lanny
Racer

Originally Posted by Ranger
When people say "but the KBB price is <fill in the inadequate price>" you respond by saying "KBB isn't accurate for Porsches". If it's their first day shopping for Porsches they won't beleive you. But if it's their 3rd month shopping for Porsche's, they'll know you are absolutely right.

It's not necessary to go into a bunch of explanations. If a buyer is running around offering people KBB for their Porsche, they're going to accumulate a collection of "no deals". Eventually they'll figure out that they're not going to get a decent Porsche for KBB.

+1 for Ebay on judging what the cars are going for. Be sure to select "Complete Listings" so you can see how much cars sold for, and didn't sell for. But be aware that lots of Ebay cars sell off-line, for a little under asking, after the auction closes.
If you look at the "retail" vs the private party value there are normally huge swings in value- obviously even though it is a private party sale the prices they normally bring are between these. As I state all the time- a car is worth what someone will pay for it then and there which is why most dealers do check auction prices on trade-ins which are still fairly strong by the way on a 99 996.
Old 08-14-2007, 04:07 PM
Fred's 964
Racer

Cam, when you give them a price, explain that KBB and Edmunds value them well below what they actually sell for. Give them some examples from this site or even Cars.com. Send them to some of the well knows Porsche specialty dealers sites. They will soon understand what the Porsche label does for the prices. After they miss buying a few cars because they sold for close to the asking price, they will learn to up the ante. I think we all learned it this way, didn't we?
Old 08-14-2007, 04:14 PM
ZX9RCAM
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Fred's 964
Cam, when you give them a price, explain that KBB and Edmunds value them well below what they actually sell for. Give them some examples from this site or even Cars.com. Send them to some of the well knows Porsche specialty dealers sites. They will soon understand what the Porsche label does for the prices. After they miss buying a few cars because they sold for close to the asking price, they will learn to up the ante. I think we all learned it this way, didn't we?
We know that, I just didnt know how to handle (for example) my co-workers who asked about it & then checked KBB, etc.....it is difficult to explain to
the non-initiated about Porsche values.

Thanks guys for all the replies......
Old 08-14-2007, 07:33 PM
951M471 CarreraM491
Advanced

Are you sure you did it right? I just ran KBB using zip code 77373 (Spring Tx) for a 99 996 20k miles, premium wheels and it came up with $27,575 for private party, good condition.

When I run the same here in soCal I get $30k, and frankly cars are sitting at $30k around here, but move at $27k. The market is very very soft on 996's so be careful not to fool yourself just because it is a Porsche ~$27.5-28 is probably not too far off the mark to be honest.
Old 08-14-2007, 08:28 PM
dirtrack49
Instructor

In California where I live, I would never think of paying more than KBB private party for any Porsche. In fact, since the 996's are so soft on the market, I would more than likely pay back of book.

The prices you are looking at in autotrader, for the most part, are totally unrealistic. People think that since they own a Porsche, they should get a premium price for their ride when they go to sell it. Those same people, have their car listed for months on end and never figure out why no one is calling them, or buying their vehicle.

Yes, Porsches are great fun to have, but when it comes down to the time to say bye-bye...you need to be real about it. A Porsche is just another car when it is time to sell and KBB usually hits the nail right on the head when it comes to value.

Tom L
2002 C2
Old 08-14-2007, 09:13 PM
dirtrack49
Instructor

WOW, just checked Edmunds and NADA on my 2002 C2 and they book it out for $5500 less than KBB.

Guess the market on 996's is softer than I thought???

Maybe I'll just keep it.

Tom L
2002 C2
Old 08-15-2007, 08:59 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by ZX9RCAM
How does one get around the prices shown in the KBB for our cars?

Take for instance my 1999 996....private party in good shape shows $24,600.

Most I see for sale (similar model) are going for high $20's or low $30's.

Just curious.........
My experience has been that KBB is on the high side. I don't know about the Dealers in other areas, but the Dealers in MD go by auction prices and not by any kind of books, be it KBB, Edmunds, Black Book, etc. As one Dealer told me when I went to sell him my car, why should I pay you the X price quoted in KBB when I can get the same car for .8X at an auction. Of course the dynamic changes if it's a trade-in. Many Dealers especially at the end of the month, will pay you a premium for your trade just to move the new car.

If I were selling my car privately, I'd begin by finding out what the local Dealers will pay you for your car. Let me warn you, it won't be much but this will set the wholesale value for your car. As noted above Dealers go by auction prices, so you'll probably find that the Dealers will offer you just about the same amount for your car. As an example the last time I shopped my car to Dealers, the prices ranged from a low of $31,900 to a high of $32,400. Again I want to emphasize that this was not a trade-in but just a sale to a Dealer. BTW KBB good on a trade-in for my car was $36,900. After establishing the wholesale price, multiply that value by 1.2 and you'll have a price that should sell rather quickly in your area.

Good luck.
Old 08-15-2007, 09:00 AM
ZX9RCAM
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 951M471 CarreraM491
Are you sure you did it right? I just ran KBB using zip code 77373 (Spring Tx) for a 99 996 20k miles, premium wheels and it came up with $27,575 for private party, good condition.

When I run the same here in soCal I get $30k, and frankly cars are sitting at $30k around here, but move at $27k. The market is very very soft on 996's so be careful not to fool yourself just because it is a Porsche ~$27.5-28 is probably not too far off the mark to be honest.
20,000 miles............on a 1999...I have put 20,000 miles on mine in the 2
years I have owned it. Mine has 81,500 miles on it....re-run with that mileage.

Oh, I did run it again with "20,000" miles & it showed a value of $27,995 in zip
code 77380.
Old 08-15-2007, 11:50 AM
rmillnj
Racer

I have shopped my '99 C2 at a few dealers for trade in and the prices offered were all uniformly awful. And they were all within the same range. On a higher mileage car, they are only going to auction it off and they all know exactly what the price is. Here on the east coast, 996's are just not getting much at auction. If I were buying I would not offer much above trade in value plus the sales tax difference. The only people paying top dollar are not doing their homework. You can find pristine cars at a very good price. Most people tying to privately sell a Porsche are operating on emotion. Luckily so are a lot of the buyers.
Old 08-15-2007, 11:52 AM
RF5BPilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think fast1 is also giving you a good selling point. That is, if you buy from most dealers, despite what they tell you, where has the car really come from? A fax report won't tell you how it has been treated.

Part of the value of buying from an individual is that you can trace the actual owners to get a sense of its condition and treatment. In the past when I have been selling a car for an above-average price, I have been prepared to wait and also Politely tell people that they get what they pay for. I know how reliable and well kept my car has been. I have the records to support that claim.

In contrast, if a dealer got a car at an auction, someone probably wanted to dump it. Fast. So, the new buyer may get it for a lower purchase price, but may spend a lot more in the long run in repair or the embarrassment or even danger of breaking down in heavy traffic or on a narrow road. They need to decide if it is worth the gamble.

If you argue that Porsches retain their value, then all the lower prices (regardless of the source) is evidence against your claim. Your strongest positon is that your price reflects the value of your car.

Used cars are easy to find. Good to excellent used cars are harder. The fantasy is to find an excellent car for the price of a beater. Among performance cars, that amounts to a good deal on swamp land in Florida. So, do they want to pay less for something with an unknown history and take a greater gamble with their cash and possibly safety, or pay a little more from you for one that is in more of a known condition and history of use?

(btw, a custom red Boxter interior is more Rare than a "plain old black interior"...not unlike some of the Ferrari red interiors. Makes it more unique; stands out with more character.)

Quick Reply: Kelly Blue Book....?