Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seat belt fastened?
Old 08-13-2007, 02:25 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by gota911
Tippy - he originally stated "why every time I started out in first gear, there were two distinct but subtle beep-beep tones."
You can set it pretty low, dont know exact number. It just so happened to me today on the way to work, brother drove my car and hit the stalk.
Old 08-14-2007, 03:00 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You might have something Tippy. I washed the car tonite...and took it for a dry off drive. for the first time, I heard the soft "ding-ding" and pulled over. I started out again and watched the speedo..and at 18 mph heard the ding=ding. Did this several times and verified 18mph.

Went home and got the wife to drive...buckled both seat belts to eliminate that. Removed the radio face to eliminate that....and at 18 mph...ding-ding. She said she also heard it as the speed dropped down between 18-20 mph, but with the mufflers I couldn't hear it.

So my brother wasnt' nuts...if he was smoking something or chewing shrooms, that didn't cause any hallucinations. I think that possibly Tippy might have something and I'll have to go read the owner's manual about activating/setting the speed alarm.....but you'd think that it wouldn't have the abiliy to be set below 50 or the usual speed limits....but I dunno. Tomorrow I'll try Tippy's suggestion.
Old 08-14-2007, 08:17 AM
rcronin
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my car (2003), the speed warning when set will flash on the dash as well as ding but then the ding is only one ding and not two.
Could you have something loose that rattles at a specific harmonic which is coming out at that low speed? Maybe it's still there at other speeds but it can't be hear over the tires or motor?!
Washers make a dinging sound. Now I haven't seen any washers on these cars yet, not that I have looked for them either but it was a thought.
Can the wife or brother locate a specific region in which the sound is coming from?
Old 08-14-2007, 09:05 AM
Tippy
Race Car

Originally Posted by Chuck Jones
You might have something Tippy. I washed the car tonite...and took it for a dry off drive. for the first time, I heard the soft "ding-ding" and pulled over. I started out again and watched the speedo..and at 18 mph heard the ding=ding. Did this several times and verified 18mph.

Went home and got the wife to drive...buckled both seat belts to eliminate that. Removed the radio face to eliminate that....and at 18 mph...ding-ding. She said she also heard it as the speed dropped down between 18-20 mph, but with the mufflers I couldn't hear it.

So my brother wasnt' nuts...if he was smoking something or chewing shrooms, that didn't cause any hallucinations. I think that possibly Tippy might have something and I'll have to go read the owner's manual about activating/setting the speed alarm.....but you'd think that it wouldn't have the abiliy to be set below 50 or the usual speed limits....but I dunno. Tomorrow I'll try Tippy's suggestion.
Chuck, when you hear the ding, look below the tach at the digital readout, it should have the MPH displayed for a few seconds with the greater than sign.

I set mine at 166 MPH so I never hear it again.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:06 AM
Tippy
Race Car

Originally Posted by rcronin
is only one ding and not two.
Mine is 2 dings
Old 08-14-2007, 04:31 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

AND THE BRASS RING....goes to Tippy....it was the speed control after all. I followed your directions and managed to cancel the dings. By coincidence the speed control was set to 19 mph. My average fuel consumption was also at 19 mpg...so when I'd go thru the onboard computer features, I'd see the 19 and figured that it was the mpg, so I overlooked it as the speed control.

Tippy....it did display a 19 with a greater than arrow...and I looked in the manual and that particular feature is listed under the caption of "Gong"....which I guess is what you can call the dings.

So thank you for the correct answer and solution to what was driving me nuts. Also, according to the manual, you can set that gong for speeds all the way down to speeds "higher than 6 mph"...and it's done by pushing the onboard computer stalk forward for 4 seconds. My last gas fill up, I recall going thru the features and resetting them to zero as I usually do. I must have inadvertantly set the speed gong at that time.

Thanx again. Case closed. Time to deal with some other dummy.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:33 PM
Tippy
Race Car

AND THE BRASS RING....goes to Tippy....it was the speed control after all. I followed your directions and managed to cancel the dings. By coincidence the speed control was set to 19 mph. My average fuel consumption was also at 19 mpg...so when I'd go thru the onboard computer features, I'd see the 19 and figured that it was the mpg, so I overlooked it as the speed control.

Tippy....it did display a 19 with a greater than arrow...and I looked in the manual and that particular feature is listed under the caption of "Gong"....which I guess is what you can call the dings.

So thank you for the correct answer and solution to what was driving me nuts. Also, according to the manual, you can set that gong for speeds all the way down to speeds "higher than 6 mph"...and it's done by pushing the onboard computer stalk forward for 4 seconds. My last gas fill up, I recall going thru the features and resetting them to zero as I usually do. I must have inadvertantly set the speed gong at that time.

Glad that was it. The sound is very annoying especially when you dont know the source.
Old 08-15-2007, 08:04 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

AND THE BRASS RING....goes to Tippy....it was the speed control after all......

Good job Cory! I remember reading about the speed reminder, but quite honostly, I had totally forgotten about it. I guess the previous owner of my car has the speed reminder at a high speed because I have never heard mine go off.

Chuck, we like dealing with you, 'cuz you are our favorite dummy!

Chuck, of course, I am just kidding! Hell, I am a bigger dummy, 'cuz I didn't even remember we had a Gong. Maybe they changed the warning signal in the face-lift cars, 'cuz any time I go too fast, I hear "HEY, SLOW DOWN, DUMB ****!" The really strange part is that it sounds just like my wife's voice.
Old 08-16-2007, 08:23 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Tim: One of the guys said he set his speed reminder to 166 or something like that so it would never go off. I just have a habit of every time I fill up with gas.....that I go through a cancellation process using the stalk to zero out all the various categories like average mpg, mph etc. I never even knew there was a speed minder feature in there.

Oh...and I don't mind being labelled a dummy....if the foo ****s, wear it.
Old 08-17-2007, 08:34 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Tim: One of the guys said he set his speed reminder to 166 or something like that so it would never go off. I just have a habit of every time I fill up with gas.....that I go through a cancellation process using the stalk to zero out all the various categories like average mpg, mph etc. I never even knew there was a speed minder feature in there.

Oh...and I don't mind being labelled a dummy....if the foo ****s, wear it.
Yeah, I also reset my driving "stats" everytime I fill up. I'll have to see where my speed Gong is set.
Old 08-17-2007, 10:01 AM
ZX9RCAM
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Do all 1999 996's have computer stalks??

Quick Reply: Hearing bells or beeps???