Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 12:07 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by redridge
did the cgt break 200?
Yes, 205 mph. I believe this is the first production 911 to break the 200mph mark.
Old 08-10-2007, 12:37 PM
Oscypek
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am saving up folks. Nothing except cereal until I see a GT2 in my driveway...
im with him lucky charms and frosted flakes all day.... and i guess ill help rob a bank... i used to do cross country if thats any help...
Old 08-10-2007, 12:53 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

not worth it... do it at least for a cgt
Old 08-10-2007, 02:10 PM
newport996
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
not worth it... do it at least for a cgt
I think I'd rather have a GT2.....CGT is VERY hot, but the performance of the GT2 will be better than a CGT and it'll be cheaper to maintain....they wont have to send a mechanic from Germany to fix a problem....I was at a dealer looking for my 911 and walked through the service department on a saturday morning....when low and behold there was a CGT there with the engine in pieces! I asked what was going on with that? The salesman said, well the guy was driving it and it started missing, pulled it into the dealer and no one knows how to work on a CGT...so Porsche flys in a mechanic from Germany. The mechanic starts pulling things, bends over and his small cell phone falls out of his shirt pocket and into the engine bay, but he cant find it....they think its in a cylinder so they are CAREFULLY removing things until they find the phone....lol...wow...
Old 08-10-2007, 02:13 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

don't care to split hairs over perf... both go like stink and i couldn't care less if the cgt requires special attn... it should because it is very special

-cgt looks the part in and out whereas the GT2 looks no better than any other souped up 911

-CGT sounds the part and the GT2 will NEVER sound nearly as exotic as the CGT

-CGT v10 is so low interia, insane F1 style and again the GT2 WILL NOT ever rev like this (lightweight flywheel pls)

CGT is clearly the #1 stud in the stud garden - not sure why we're even having a debate here gt2 is king of the 911 kingdom, but the 911 kingdom isn't exotic.

so again my point being frosted flakes for dinner is more justifiable for a cgt than the top dog 911. at least for me it is , but then no car is worth frosted flakes for dinner in my world
Old 08-10-2007, 02:14 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by newport996
I think I'd rather have a GT2.....CGT is VERY hot, but the performance of the GT2 will be better than a CGT and it'll be cheaper to maintain....they wont have to send a mechanic from Germany to fix a problem....I was at a dealer looking for my 911 and walked through the service department on a saturday morning....when low and behold there was a CGT there with the engine in pieces! I asked what was going on with that? The salesman said, well the guy was driving it and it started missing, pulled it into the dealer and no one knows how to work on a CGT...so Porsche flys in a mechanic from Germany. The mechanic starts pulling things, bends over and his small cell phone falls out of his shirt pocket and into the engine bay, but he cant find it....they think its in a cylinder so they are CAREFULLY removing things until they find the phone....lol...wow...
I think he meant not worth robbing a bank for a GT2...
Old 08-10-2007, 04:19 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 312 Likes on 260 Posts

GT2 = rob bank once
CGT = rob bank quarterly
Old 08-10-2007, 04:29 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chsu74
GT2 = rob bank once
CGT = rob bank quarterly
CGT=Porsche robbing you monthly.
Old 08-10-2007, 04:36 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 312 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by riad
CGT=Porsche robbing you monthly.
darn it. dropped the soap again. better hold them ankles tight when porsche calls.
Old 08-10-2007, 05:53 PM
vove
Burning Brakes

Wow, i want one even if its not fast.
Old 08-10-2007, 06:12 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

you think they would call the cell and trace the ring..... maybe theyre not that smart... isnt a clutch job on a cgt like $30k... as a DD gt2 the way to go in my book, for weekends cgt.... there I go daydreaming again
Old 08-10-2007, 07:06 PM
befast
Instructor

Just as the droolfest continues, to put in an elephant into the room, what do you folks think of the Audi RS8? It's "only" 118k and somehow I am thinking it wouldnt cost a small fortune to maintain.
Old 08-10-2007, 07:32 PM
newport996
Burning Brakes

don't care to split hairs over perf... both go like stink and i couldn't care less if the cgt requires special attn... it should because it is very special

-cgt looks the part in and out whereas the GT2 looks no better than any other souped up 911

-CGT sounds the part and the GT2 will NEVER sound nearly as exotic as the CGT

-CGT v10 is so low interia, insane F1 style and again the GT2 WILL NOT ever rev like this (lightweight flywheel pls)

CGT is clearly the #1 stud in the stud garden - not sure why we're even having a debate here gt2 is king of the 911 kingdom, but the 911 kingdom isn't exotic.

so again my point being frosted flakes for dinner is more justifiable for a cgt than the top dog 911. at least for me it is , but then no car is worth frosted flakes for dinner in my world
Thats where we differ on opinion...I like to DRIVE THE HELL out of my cars...a CGT is not a car that can be done with....a front bumper $40k...what if after the 3 or 4 year warranty, you need repairs...ship it to Germany? Stateside there are not too many places that will be qualified to work on a CGT...lets say in 5 years I need an engine rebuild...again...Germany? Nope....not for me...I'd rather have a car I can drive and not worry about what will happen when it need servicing...and like all cars, it needs servicing. So a stock 997 GT2 will be faster, more reliable, lower cost to own...and I can get my servicing done at ANT Porsche dealer...But if you wanna CGT go right ahead...As you would say...its a siq car....
Old 08-10-2007, 08:11 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

being faster for what? so if you rolled up in your gt2 next to a cgt, r u seriously thinking i'm gonna take this guy to school? pls. it's splittin hairs. both are insanely fast and the CGT is many magnitudes more special. that's all i'm saying. it's worth the extra dollrs because u know where all those extra dollars are headed.

i'm not making it an either/or proposition. have both if u want. i fully realize that the cgt will require more special care, but it doesn't matter to me. the gt2 will never ever excite me teh way a cgt does and that's where it hits a ceiling whereas in the cgt, the sky is the limit, repair bills included, but again, who cares. u get a cgt because it IS the undeniable pinnacle of porsche production car engineering and u don't get a gt2 because it's more reliable than the cgt.

it's really saying i like oranges but you offering me an apple because it's easier to eat since u don't have to peel the skin off of it to get to the juice.
Old 08-10-2007, 08:16 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

being faster for what? so if you rolled up in your gt2 next to a cgt, r u seriously thinking i'm gonna take this guy to school? pls. it's splittin hairs. both are insanely fast and the CGT is many magnitudes more special. that's all i'm saying. it's worth the extra dollrs because u know where all those extra dollars are headed.

i'm not making it an either/or proposition. have both if u want. i fully realize that the cgt will require more special care, but it doesn't matter to me. the gt2 will never ever excite me teh way a cgt does and that's where it hits a ceiling whereas in the cgt, the sky is the limit, repair bills included, but again, who cares. u get a cgt because it IS the undeniable pinnacle of porsche production car engineering and u don't get a gt2 because it's more reliable than the cgt.

it's really saying i like oranges but you offering me an apple because it's easier to eat since u don't have to peel the skin off of it to get to the juice.
I agree, but the CGT is 2x the cost of GT2... so why compare them?

Quick Reply: 2008 GT2 is siq fast