Sponsored by:

30k Service and other maintenance items and costs

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 03:29 PM
Freddie
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 30k Service and other maintenance items and costs

I have seen the other threads but specifically, my car is up for its 30k service (2004 996 40th) next month.

My dealership told me the following:

30k service can be done for $750.

Also, it is typical, that they will need to change the brake pads (front) at a costs of $275 each or $550.

Also, it is typical for a brake flush at this time because the brake fluid breaks down. The charge is $160.

I will also probably need all four tires which they quote (Mich) at $360 each installed. Also, an allignment at $249. I replaced the rear at 15k and still have the original front tires (mich ps).

They also said that Mich has come out with a new tire which wears longer and is not as loud for only a few more dollars.

What are your thoughts as to the prices and recommendations?
Old 08-01-2007, 03:33 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Brake flush every 2 years. As for tires, whatever you choose, order them at Tire Rack and have them shipped to your dealer for install - they'll beat any dealer's price.

As for me, I should hit my 30K maintainence in 2037
Old 08-01-2007, 04:01 PM
DFC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Phil G.
As for me, I should hit my 30K maintainence in 2037
Phil, being a bit optimistic

As for the 30k service, check out renntech.org (sign up if you are not already a user) and they provide the required work at each service interval. If you are handy, several of the items can be easily done cheaper. I order my parts through Sunset Imports. Oil change and brake pad changes are relatively simple. Brake flush is typically recommended every two yrs. Do a search on tires and you will have reading for days. Good Luck.
Old 08-01-2007, 04:26 PM
carlo$
Instructor

30k service? chg oil, air filter, cabin air filter and you are done. read your owner's manual.
Old 08-02-2007, 03:09 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just called Jeff at Sunset and bought all the required items for a 30K service from Sunset....just sitting here looking at the packing list of items; spark plugs, cabin filter,Oil filter, aluminum seal...and the whole total came to $120.04 including shipping. Now granted, that doesn't include the oil ($5.30 per quart) or flushing the brake system, but you can save a bunch of money by doing some of this yourself.
Old 08-02-2007, 03:14 AM
AsianImage
Racer

I just had my 30K done...including plus and it was around $700. I took it to an indy porsche shop. Since my car does not have warranty anymore I do not take it to the dealer...no need man.
Old 08-02-2007, 12:28 PM
caf
Rennlist Member

I did my own as some of the other posters above did. Ordered stuff from Sunset. Your '04 doesn't need spark plugs like the earlier 996s did. I would definitely flush the brake fluid. Although dealers love doing brakes (it's a huge money maker), the pads should be changed based on wear, not on any fixed interval. A visual inspection of the pads should be adequate. Even if you need new pads, I would not let them talk you into new rotors; it's extremely unlikely they would need replacement until you've gone through 2 or 3 sets of pads.

Personally, if my tires have been wearing reasonably well(which it sounds like yours have), and I didn't have any handling issues, I probably wouldn't mess with an alignment.

Overall, dealer prices are expensive, but yours are far from the worst I've seen. You can definitely do better if you want to do some of it yourself, though, and you can certainly do better on tire pricing.

Quick Reply: 30k Service and other maintenance items and costs