Sponsored by:

x74 Suspension Installed on my 1999 C2

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 01:22 PM
TheSpeedDemon
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default x74 Suspension Installed on my 1999 C2

Well some of you knew what I was doing, some knew I was looking at different suspension systems, and then some didn't know.

But I went ahead and purchased an x74 susupension system from Gert at Carnewal and installed it on Saturday. You can ask me why I chose this and not other suspensions if you want (i.e. PSS9).

I wanted to also put to bed that the x74 does work on a '99 C2 as I read several posts here and there stating that it doesn't. Basically it was not available for the '99 and '00 here in the U.S. but was installed as an option from the "Exclusive Department" in Europe.

This was a straight-forward installation because everything is pretty much pre-assembled, so no need for spring compressors etc.

I hooked-up with Doug (C4 Pazzo) a couple weeks back and when I mentioned getting the x74 he offered to help me install it. I immediately took him up on the offer because 1) he has already installed a complete Porsche suspension (M030) on his car and so he is familiar with the process, although it will be easier this time, 2) he has a lift in his garage I will tell you that without a lift this job would have been a challenge and would have taken longer. It took us 7 hours to do the work together and we did take our time to check, double-check everything, torque everything etc. So I know it can be done quicker, but we were in no rush. All that is left now is an alignment which I am getting done this Friday before I go to Thunderhill for the weekend.

So far my drive with the new suspension system has been fantastic although I need to wait for the alignment before I push it. But the ride is smooth, going over bumps in the road is firm but not harsh or a what I would consider a hard ride. The suspension still has not settled but it is close to what I had before with the sport springs in regards to the height of the car.

Remember I have 19's on the car and so far with the perfect offset of the wheels (no spacers needed) I have no clearance issues, although I noticed that the previous owner had already rolled the front fender lip, that was because they had put on too wide of a tyre up front and it hit.

This will be my last mod on the car this year, spent a lot of money in the last 2 months on: wheels, tyres, mufflers, aluminium gauge rings, aluminium pedals, tint, and now suspension. Come the winter time I have a list of other projects to do while the car is not being driven in preparation for next year, but nothing major like what I have done so far.

Before I get to the pics I wanted to thank the following people:

Doug (C4 Pazzo) for assisting me and for having a lift in his garage
Andy (UCrazyKid) for insight on the x74 and allowing me to ride in his car
Matt (Viper501) for insight on the x74
Gert (Carnewal) for selling the kit at a great price and also insight on the x74

Note: if I missed anyone specifically my apologies.

So here are the pics of the install (this is not intended to be a technical thread but ask me questions if you have any):

The Kit:

Why it is nice having a lift:

Marked the front strut location (although it is not correct until the alignment is done, but it is a setting with the car lower so something is better than nothing):

Remove Belly Pan:

Front disassembled (note caliper also removed for clearance):

Front Installed:

Front seen through wheel:

Front suspension height difference (x74 is on the right):

Front Sway Bar:

Rear Reinforcement Plates:

Rear Shock Nuts:

Rear Installed:

Rear seen through wheel:

Rear suspension height difference (x74 is on the right):

Rear Sway Bar:

Engine Protection Plate:

Pictures of the car will be posted once suspension has settled and alignment is done.

Last edited by TheSpeedDemon; 07-30-2007 at 03:20 PM.
Old 07-30-2007, 01:28 PM
viper501
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats man! Taking the time to shoot the pictures is what took so long. Having a lift helps, a lot, but it isn't critical.
Old 07-30-2007, 01:36 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Nice job...
Old 07-30-2007, 01:47 PM
vtwin996
Instructor

Congrats. I just had mine installed last week and from the road driving I have done, it simply transforms the car's handling. For those considering, the ride quality is similar to US sport suspension so nothing is lost there with the exception of some road clearance on ramped driveways and speed bumps. I am looking forward to taking my car to the Gingerman DE this week to really appreciate the difference.
Old 07-30-2007, 02:38 PM
Swede_Matt
Instructor

Congrats Steven. I know how much you were looking forward to this. I'm putting my name in for a test ride next time we meet at SR. =)
Old 07-30-2007, 07:07 PM
UCrazyKid
Pro

Very nice! Congrats. You didn't tell me you had access to a lift, cheater! I did it on my own on jack stands. (An experience I would not recommend)

ENJOY!
Old 07-30-2007, 07:13 PM
prsdoc
Rennlist Member

Great pics of the install, hope you enjoy the new suspension!
Old 07-30-2007, 07:24 PM
TheSpeedDemon
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by viper501
Congrats man! Taking the time to shoot the pictures is what took so long. Having a lift helps, a lot, but it isn't critical.
Yeah we did stop now and then to take the photos. As for the lift, you are right not critical but UCrazyKid will tell you it's a whole lot better to have one for this job.

Originally Posted by Ray S
Nice job...
Thanks

Originally Posted by vtwin996
Congrats. I just had mine installed last week and from the road driving I have done, it simply transforms the car's handling. For those considering, the ride quality is similar to US sport suspension so nothing is lost there with the exception of some road clearance on ramped driveways and speed bumps. I am looking forward to taking my car to the Gingerman DE this week to really appreciate the difference.
Thanks. I am too looking forward to seeing how great this mod is. Yep if you do not mind having to be 'more' careful when driving into parking lots etc. because it is so low, then this suspension kit is perfect IMHO.

Originally Posted by Swede_Matt
Congrats Steven. I know how much you were looking forward to this. I'm putting my name in for a test ride next time we meet at SR. =)
Thanks and you are on the list.

Originally Posted by UCrazyKid
Very nice! Congrats. You didn't tell me you had access to a lift, cheater! I did it on my own on jack stands. (An experience I would not recommend)

ENJOY!
Thanks. Oh yes that lift came in handy for sure. I could only imagine how it would be doing it flat on my back with the car on jack stands

Originally Posted by prsdoc
Great pics of the install, hope you enjoy the new suspension!
Thanks and I am glad I did the pics. I will update this thread once I have the alignment done and had a chance to experience this new setup.
Old 07-30-2007, 09:27 PM
viper501
Instructor

Yeah, I did the initial install with a lift but had to change out a bad strut (front left leaking like a stuck pig) on jackstands in the garage. Not too bad but much easier up in the air. We need to see some after pics though.
Old 07-30-2007, 09:37 PM
TheSpeedDemon
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by viper501
We need to see some after pics though.
Yeah I know, give me a week at least, by then I will have had the alignment done and driven it around a lot, going to Thunderhill this coming weekend to 'watch' the PCA GG race there

Last edited by TheSpeedDemon; 07-30-2007 at 10:12 PM.
Old 07-30-2007, 09:50 PM
ArneeA
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice
Old 07-31-2007, 12:20 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Nice Steven! Thanks for sharing the pics! (Yes, I am on "pic patrol" tonight! )
Old 07-31-2007, 12:27 AM
C4 Pazzo
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Steven,
It was fun helping you with the install on Saturday. I'm anxious to see the before and after alignment numbers (I hope they don't charge based on the magnitude of the adjustments required!).

Enjoy Thunderhill this weekend.

Doug
Old 07-31-2007, 01:03 AM
rleeq
Racer

I considered the X74 and the PSS9 packages but, went with the M030 instead. I did the install by my lonesome and took me about 12 hours if I remember right. Not too bad considering the dealer would have charged me 12+ hours labor at $102 per hour and they have all the toys for the job.
I like the protection plate. I wonder if it hampers the draining of the oil?
Old 07-31-2007, 08:29 AM
Seeeu911
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 16 Posts

nice !

Quick Reply: x74 Suspension Installed on my 1999 C2